Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reliable 9mm 1911

TRG65

Ran an Springfield RO and a STI Spartan for a while, get decent mags, had a NightHawk GRP ( best pistol I have ever owned but circumstances forced me to part with it) in my opinion most are pretty rliable as long as you have good mags for them. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/19/2020 at 3:08 PM, .45 ACP nut said:

Fusion Firearms 1911 in 9mm with Metalform 9.743 mags.

My first 1911 9mm was a fusion.  I was trying to be cheap and found one used.  It had many of the features I wanted for a range/match gun.  It had features I couldn't get at the price on a springfield, S&W, sig, etc.  I quickly learned why it was for sale.

Non ramped barrel and non-standard ejector geometry.  It was like they used a 45 ACP ejector and machined the slide to fit.  This meant regular failure to eject.  Non ramped barrel meant several bullet profiles didn't feed reliably.  (What 9mm gun won't feed 124 gr FMJ RN?)  I tried every magazine I could get my hand on.  Wilsons were the best in that gun, but still not reliable.  Oddly, some of the magazines (CMC, Colt, and Tripp) wouldn't even fit into the magwell.  Never had that with any other 1911.  Gun also had a 45 slide stop, so I had to weld up and reshape the tab before it would engage on last round.  Front sight on the gun was so short gun shot high even with the adjustable rear bottomed out.  Ambi safety was poorly fit and was difficult to manipulate.

Contacted Serva twice.  He verified the gun was as they built it, and offered to sell parts (magazines, springs, slide stop, and sights) to fix my issues.  Sadly, I was new to the 1911 platform.  It nearly turned me away from 1911s.  It now sits as a parts gun in a bin under my bench.  

Edited by johnmyster

We have a few 9mm 1911s, all reliable. Springfield RO, had some trigger work done, runs great with factory mags and once we added a magwell with Dawson magazines, Springfield Loaded Stainless Target, some work done at SA Custom shop, runs great with Dawson magazine. Recently acquired STI DVC Classic, using Tripp Research magazines, what it came with to me, runs but does not like BBI 125gr coated bullet profile, all other bullets tested fine. So many good 1911 9mm guns out there.

1911.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had great luck with the ones I've shot. A Springfield RO Elite champion (4" barrel). Probably close to 2500ish rounds. Lots of IDPA matches and general range days with it. The first week I got it I rand 100 rounds of factory 9mm 115, 100 rounds of factory 9mm 124 through it and 100 rounds of hornady defense ammo. No issues. Had a few hiccups at matches. 

Springfield RO, no issues. Maybe 500 rounds. Sold it to a buddy. 

Springfield loaded 9mm. 2k rounds at least. Broke the extractor at some point. Replaced with aftec. 

STI Trojan. Ran great, I hated it though. Sold it. Maybe 150 rounds.

I have a kimber 9 that runs like a sewing machine... now. Well over 5k, I stopped counting long ago.

It runs tripp and metalform mags well. 

EGW HD extractor (I had to cut a swartz relief in it), and I fitted a s70 egw FPS on it as well (to prevent extractor clocking and get rid of the unneeded and interfering s80 gap). I left a very small radius on it. feels nice. I may do another with a huge radius to speed the slide up.

EGW mic'd firing pin to fit the breechface better. 

wolff recoil spring, and probably main spring as well.

I upgraded to a better trigger (cylnder and slide) but that didn't have anything to do with reliability. I think I put an ed brown grip safety on it as well.

If I had to do it again I would certainly not go kimber based on the amount of work I ended up doing to get it to run well and be to my liking, and the fact that it still could use a more accurate barrel. I either go with something cheap and work it up (RIA?) or dan wesson or les baer or something of that tier.

But this one was my first gun. I'll keep it forever and pass it on to my kids.

@Bakerjd If you don't mind me asking, why did you hate the Trojan? 

I have a Springfield RO Elite target and used it as a main gun for Classic Division. 

I bought a Trojan with large logo and horsey as a backup gun, and it's so smooth, and accurate, I made it my primary. 

P.S.   To be honest, i would've definitely gone for a DW PM9 but unfortunately I have NEVER seen one here in the Netherlands, or Europe, for that matter....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, WFargo said:

@Bakerjd If you don't mind me asking, why did you hate the Trojan? 

I have a Springfield RO Elite target and used it as a main gun for Classic Division. 

I bought a Trojan with large logo and horsey as a backup gun, and it's so smooth, and accurate, I made it my primary. 

P.S.   To be honest, i would've definitely gone for a DW PM9 but unfortunately I have NEVER seen one here in the Netherlands, or Europe, for that matter....

I didnt like the way the recoil felt. Even with an 8lb recoil spring I felt like the slide was slow. Like I could almost watch it move. The gun was super accurate, reliable, great grip texture on the front strap but just wasnt for me. The guy I sold it to loves it. 

My current 9mm SS is the BUL 1911 trophy saw and so far (100 rounds) I'm loving it. Only complaint would be it uses the small diameter fiber optic rod and im used to the larger 1.5mm rod. I havent decided if I want to find a front sight with the larger rod or not yet. I may email BUL to see if they have one. 

5 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I didnt like the way the recoil felt. Even with an 8lb recoil spring I felt like the slide was slow. Like I could almost watch it move. The gun was super accurate, reliable, great grip texture on the front strap but just wasnt for me. The guy I sold it to loves it. 

My current 9mm SS is the BUL 1911 trophy saw and so far (100 rounds) I'm loving it. Only complaint would be it uses the small diameter fiber optic rod and im used to the larger 1.5mm rod. I havent decided if I want to find a front sight with the larger rod or not yet. I may email BUL to see if they have one. 

If you burn the optical fiber  in the shape of a mushroom you will look the same as with a 1.5 mm fiber

or u can drill the front sight to 1.5mm. or order new FS that fit kimber  dovetail.

14 hours ago, yigal said:

If you burn the optical fiber  in the shape of a mushroom you will look the same as with a 1.5 mm fiber

or u can drill the front sight to 1.5mm. or order new FS that fit kimber  dovetail.

Reading my mind I see. I planned on doing the mushroom thing and seeing how it goes. I'm sure I can get used to the smaller fiber. 

Even very expensive factory guns can have problems. Buy the cheapest one that you like the looks of then pay a pro to upgrade and massage it. You'll spend as much or less than a fancy mass produced item and get much better results.

My Colt .38 super is very, very reliable as a super. With a 9mm Brown drop in barrel and different springs it is showing the same potential. I tried using .38 super mags but it works better with actual 9mm mags like Wilson, Mecgar and Tripp. Had to go to #9-10 recoil spring too.

• 4 weeks later...