Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reliable 9mm 1911

TRG65

The Dan Wesson’s work exceptionally well, but I’ve noticed that it all comes down to two things: 1) which bullets you use 2) which mags you use.

Some guns are just more forgiving and will work with almost anything like the Dan Wesson’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, andyivan said:

I have had great success with a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 (Dawson 10 round mags).  I shoot 124 HP but it'll eat whatever is around as well. 

Same here. If I were ever going to shoot a 9mm 1911 in competition, this would be my combo. I've had 3 over the years - each of them ultra reliable.

I have a Citadel /Rock Island inexpensive little pistol that I picked up for my son to shoot. I bought a used Para ramped barrel from a member here, checkered the pistol and it runs like a top. 9 rounders, 10 rounders, flat points, round nose, anything I put in it. I am not a big name brand person, all though I have 2 Springfield's done by Rich at Canyon Creek that are also flawless. I grab the cheap pistol for the matches. The cheap Citadel/Rock Island turned out great, but I do have to say that the Canyon Creek pistols have the looks over the Citadel. But with a price tag of 2K difference, they should. I could sell the Canyon Creek pistols and buy multiple Citadel/Rock Islands, but since Rich is no longer building pistols, I think I will hang on to them.

I enjoy the little 9mm in a single stacks as well as my 2011's.

Another vote for Springfield Loaded/RO. Mine has been 100% with chip mags using their polymer basepads. It was hard to seat a 10rd mag in a loaded gun during a COF so I clipped a half (maybe it was whole) coil off the mag springs. Perfect for me. The only thing Im not crazy about is the glued ejector, but it hasnt given me any issues.

My Springfield range officer 9mm is very reliable, tho was not very accurate in original form. Never had a problem with any sort of round feeding. Did replace the slide because lockup on the factory slide was horrible. Too much slop in the slide lugs. With a new slide, and better bushing, I have to say its as accurate as my 97b with the cajun bushing. Shoot one hole (pretty much:) at 10 yards offhand.* Never had problem with any mag, tho now use Wilson 10 round mostly.

*dont ask if I can do that in competition

Edited by midatlantic

Dawson mags have the Springfield style feed ramp that stop a lot of the nose dive issues on full mags.  IMO, they are the key to a great running 9mm single stack.

^^^

Metalform mags for me too.. no problems .. sometimes they need a little "love" to drop free and lock back, but they feed great, keep the springs fresh.

CDNN has "Zenith" branded Metalforms for `15 bucks

https://www.cdnnsports.com/1911-10rd-9mm-zenith-magazine.html#.XmESeGhKiUk

My 9mm Kimber Target II needed a new extractor, but once I replace that it has been flawless.

It will feed any bullet shape and handles reduced loads too.

I was planning on getting a couple WC mags, but the stock Kimber mags have been fine. (I like flush fit mag's)

No sign of nose diving or other problems, and it likes my handloads.

With the right bullets (XTP, Win JHP, Speer TMJ), it's incredibly accurate.

I've never been a big Kimber fan, I was very disappointed with a Kimber rimfire rifle, but this pistol has become my favorite handgun.

Let's see, PM-9, Valor-9, RO-9 and Silverback -9. They all run my 147gr. 1.148" DG FLATPOINTS 100%, and have for some years. The KEY, is Tripp Cobra 10 rd. mags with good springs! 100 % means USPSA and IDPA, not just standing on a square range. 

• 4 weeks later...

So far my Metro Arms American Classic II is performing very well. Chambered in 9 mm this thing is a tack driver. I have well over 1K through it, with various ammunition types. The only issue I had was the ejector broke, but it still didn't malfunction that day at the range. I didn't notice it until I came home that day from the range to clean it. For the price point and what you get I would have to say the Metro Arms 1911s are top notch, compared to others I've owned, those where in 45 acp though. They where Tisas, Springfield, Rock Island Armory, Armscor, Ruger, and Sig Sauer. 

On 2/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, davsco said:

i have a handful of sti 2011 double stack 9mm's that have no issues.  but i just couldn't get a 3" single stack 9mm to work, despite using a couple of different brand mags.  too many ftf's and i just didn't feel like dealing with it.

+1 for a double stack STI. 750 rounds without cleaning and 10K in a year on ammo for 3 gun. No issues other than that pesky price tag that I sometimes regret.

I just picked up a Springfield RO that came with 2 Dawson 10 round mags. Years ago I had an older Springfield that I fought a lot to find a bullet and mag combo that worked. That said, while this RO seems nice, I found the Dawson mags to be absolutely outstanding. Seat easy with 10 rounds, no issues feeding. Haven’t had a chance to run it much yet, but the Dawson’s get a vote from me.

I have put close to 40,000 though a PM9 with no issues.  Also run Dawson mags that feed well. Had four of the mags break where the basepad slides on but Dawson took care of those . Told me to calm down on my aggressive mag seating 🤔