Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical +5/6 and +10 basepads - reviews/advice?

Picked up a JP GMR-15 and looking at magazine/extension options. I was looking into the Taran Tactical +10 basepads for the 31 round Glock mags. Also looking to get a few +5/6 basepads for the 17 round mags.

any advice on the function of these mag extensions?

thanks in advance!

-SS

Edited by Stephen7942

The TTI +10’s are gtg on OEM Glock 31/33rd big sticks, never had an issue (I will say load ‘em up and leave ‘em for a couple days when new though). IIRC, @maxamundo was selling some TTI +10 ones with slight cosmetic defects at a discount a couple months back, maybe you could inquire on chasing down some of those?

Lots of the Limited guys around my area run the TTI and/or TF base pads for pistols and don’t seem to have issues.

Really out of all the base pads out there, the only ones I’ve seen guys have issues with is the Goliath, seen them go salt shaker a few times, but 50rds is pushing it pretty hard, so there’s bound to be some extra tuning involved with those...

I use the MBX mini. 47 rounds. Plenty good for all USPSA matches. The followers need to be sanded so they transition smoothly or you will get a salt shaker. I also prefer to use the 31/33 glock mags for reloads on classifiers over the 17's with plus 5. By the time the 17's get seated in the pcc with a magwell it is almost flush with the magwell. A beer can grip on the 33 is much easier and faster for me.

4 hours ago, Bwillis said:

When you first install the precious tti basepads and load them it will hang up near 35 rounds. Take a uplua place it on the top round and smack the bottom of the basepad. That will allow you to load to 40-41. 

🤭

Edited by MoRivera

I've ran both the TTI and TF +10 extensions, really no difference aside from the TTI extensions being a bit more aesthetically pleasing (personal preference). I would just go with whatever you get a better price on.  The only extension I've had issues with is the MBX Mega Extension on the OEM Glock 31rd mags, and I've seen a bunch of those fail before, it seems like they cause too much flex at the mounting point, but I'm sure their new steel mages have considerably less flex so that issue is probably addressed now. 

I just picked up a JP too.  I'm running factory 17 round mags with Dawson bases, because I have them for my CO gun.  I've ran TTI in the past, and I liked them because disassembly was easier than other brands.  With a Techwell magwell, I don't have a problem seating the 17's with +5 Dawsons.  Downloaded to 15 for classifier/reload practice, they drop without issue.

I've got a TF +10 and a TF Goliath on 31 Glock mags.  Both run, but needed some follower tuning. 

I saw a post here on the ETS 40 rounders, and for $28 at my local shop, picked two up.  They also run great.  

This is what I'm talking about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-FIREPOWER-Base-Pad-Kit-For-IPSC-USPSA-IDPA-SHOOTING-G17-19-22/264348886016?hash=item3d8c6be400:m:mGc9Pb4dtDWLJkLZjyKjwoQ

The three I have work great, and arrived in like 2 weeks or less. $10.36 each, shipped. I suppose I could have spent 4x the amount for each to get three ignominous letters printed on the bottom, but I'm too pragmatic for that. 2ce5f65c230d790949bfb0d9cbc93ad2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

This is what I'm talking about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-FIREPOWER-Base-Pad-Kit-For-IPSC-USPSA-IDPA-SHOOTING-G17-19-22/264348886016?hash=item3d8c6be400:m:mGc9Pb4dtDWLJkLZjyKjwoQ

The three I have work great, and arrived in like 2 weeks or less. $10.36 each, shipped. I suppose I could have spent 4x the amount for each to get three ignominous letters printed on the bottom, but I'm too pragmatic for that. 2ce5f65c230d790949bfb0d9cbc93ad2.jpg

And this is why China ignores intellectual property laws. I think I will stick with the MBX or Taylor Freelance .

Edited by JsK
14 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

The three I have work great, and arrived in like 2 weeks or less. $10.36 each, shipped. I suppose I could have spent 4x the amount for each to get three ignominous letters printed on the bottom, but I'm too pragmatic for that.

In other words, you support theft of intellectual property, admit it, and then want people to congratulate you. I actually know the owner of Taylor Freelance and he works very hard to bring these products to market. It is frustrating to see these them copied and priced much lower. And then to have others like yourself make that possible. 

Did you ever wonder if you were doing something wrong here? 

In other words, you support theft of intellectual property, admit it, and then want people to congratulate you. I actually know the owner of Taylor Freelance and he works very hard to bring these products to market. It is frustrating to see these them copied and priced much lower. And then to have others like yourself make that possible. 

Did you ever wonder if you were doing something wrong here? 
There are plenty of brands where I wouldn't buy the clone out of respect for the owner.

• 2 weeks later...