Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Safariland 015 Competition Holster

BangSwitch

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

@021411 I shoot open, so I imagine I’d need the extension. Can you please post a photo of what that looks like if you have a chance? Thanks! 🙏🏼 

Stand by.. I shoot open as well but my slide is gone right now. Let me get the extension buttoned up. 

• 3 weeks later...

What do you feel the advantage is to running the extension?  Does it impact the draw at all?  One of the really nice things about the 015 is the extremely short release.  Adding the muzzle support would seem to mean increasing that release by 1/4" (guessing based on the photos).

59 minutes ago, clw42 said:

What do you feel the advantage is to running the extension?  Does it impact the draw at all?  One of the really nice things about the 015 is the extremely short release.  Adding the muzzle support would seem to mean increasing that release by 1/4" (guessing based on the photos).

If you’re not running and gunning then skip the support. It’s not really needed for USPSA matches. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:51 PM, 021411 said:

If you’re not running and gunning then skip the support. It’s not really needed for USPSA matches. 

Okay, thanks!

On 2/19/2021 at 8:53 PM, cbrussell said:

I am on the fence with this holster. Worried about the lever interfering with mag release button. Seems to be a design flaw to me.

One of my guns fit fine without modification, the other I had to take some material off of that lock (I have two setups with two separate holsters).  It would work okay as it was, but I didn't want to risk not having it release during a stage.  I just filed it down so the locking lever passed the mag release a little easier.  Having said and done that, I totally agree that it's a flaw, but I really like the holster otherwise.

Edited by clw42

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welp, my Safariland holster is a paperweight until i hear back from them.  While do some routine maintenance and trying out the muzzle support, the bottom screw completely stripped out the threads connecting up into the holster body.  Of course ive got a bunch of major matches upcoming so it's perfect timing.    Email out to Safariland CS, but noticed they dont even have the 015 holster on the site anymore, or at least it wont let me get to it.  

7 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

Welp, my Safariland holster is a paperweight until i hear back from them.  While do some routine maintenance and trying out the muzzle support, the bottom screw completely stripped out the threads connecting up into the holster body.  Of course ive got a bunch of major matches upcoming so it's perfect timing.    Email out to Safariland CS, but noticed they dont even have the 015 holster on the site anymore, or at least it wont let me get to it.  

Do some digging. I heard they were going to get out of the competition market 

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Do some digging. I heard they were going to get out of the competition market 

I figured considering there are no more 014 or 015 holsters on the site.  As a replacement, what would be your recommendation?  I've heard good things about the Everglades MRH, had a DA Alpha-X, but never really liked it.  I guess it's time to find another. 

22 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

I figured considering there are no more 014 or 015 holsters on the site.  As a replacement, what would be your recommendation?  I've heard good things about the Everglades MRH, had a DA Alpha-X, but never really liked it.  I guess it's time to find another. 

The Everglades MRH is a phenomenal holster that has fit every 2011/1911 that I've used it with. Very smooth draw compared to the DA Alpha-X. You can get an Alpha-X running somewhat smoothly with some filing here and there on the block, but from my experience it is always hit or miss and really benefits when you use the muzzle support. Not that the Alpha-X is bad, but the MRH is just a different level. 

13 hours ago, pealandco said:

The Everglades MRH is a phenomenal holster that has fit every 2011/1911 that I've used it with. Very smooth draw compared to the DA Alpha-X. You can get an Alpha-X running somewhat smoothly with some filing here and there on the block, but from my experience it is always hit or miss and really benefits when you use the muzzle support. Not that the Alpha-X is bad, but the MRH is just a different level. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. I swapped out my Alpha X for the MRH. It is superior in almost every way.

13 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

MRH for sure.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:56 PM, Unregistered said:

All of them has something I don't like... The Safariland 014 had some wobble in the gun when holstered, and I don't like the muzzle support. Not able to get into some awkward positions that European matches love. The Everglades really jabbed me quite hard in the leg, but has a great holster body.

The Alpha-X is my current holster, but with my new Venom guns they hang up unless I have a perfectly vertical draw. The hanger on the Alpha-X is pretty awesome though.

Hopefully the 015 solves all the problems......

My PT grip was also hanging up with anything but a vertical grip relieved material from the top of the block on both sides where it was touching the frame near the trigger now it is as slick as it was with an  STI grip. I my opinion still the best holster available.

Edited by TONY BARONE
Spelling

Welp....not unexpected, but unfortunate, and a bit frustrating considering ive only had the 015 for a few months and its now a $220 paperweight.  Correspondence from SL Customer Service below:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately the 015 holsters have been discontinued due to supply chain issues and we cannot service them at this moment. 

There are no current spare parts for that series of holsters. 

Thank you for being a Safariland customer.  If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Care @ 800-347-1200 or reply to this email. 

Thank you,

The Safariland Customer Care Team

I honestly think the 015 was one of the better designed holsters, and I wish DA would purchase the rights and produce it at opposed to the Alpha-X.  Oh well...MRH, here I come. 

3 hours ago, TONY BARONE said:

My PT grip was also hanging up with anything but a vertical grip relieved material from the top of the block on both sides where it was touching the frame near the trigger now it is as slick as it was with an  STI grip. I my opinion still the best holster available.

Can you post pictures of what you cut please? 

• 5 months later...
On 11/8/2020 at 12:21 AM, Bakerjd said:

I am, I also tried the insert for my BUL Armory open gun. Ended up doing a lot of fitting on the SVI Steel grip insert to get it to about 90%. I'd say it's about as good as it will get for my grip. I ordered the Safariland 015 from SC the other day as they had one in stock for a lefty. Just put it on a spare belt I have and tested it with about 25 dry fire draws.... WOW. I LOVE the 015. Its smmmmoooottttthhhhhh as silk. The lock lever is way better, I can actually hit it on a draw, with the ALPHA X the lock lever is to small amd I miss it usually. But man I tell ya the 015 is hands down my favorite so far. Currently I'm having a open/limited build going that I'm using the Lonestar grip on and I hope it fits the 015 just as nicely as the Cheely E2 does. 

Did the lone star grips work with the 015

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:36 PM, Robertwil18 said:

Why not Heli-Coil the stripped threads? Do you have a pic of the stripped threads? Be a quick way to make a paperweight a holster. Or CR Speed would cure all your maladies.