Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Safariland 015 Competition Holster

BangSwitch

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having a muzzle support is the reason I like this holster. Less hanging material means I can move better. Wouldn't be interested in the platform myself, much like the alpha-x holster platform being superfluous to me.

Really liking this holster so far.  I've used the Alpha X and it hung up a ton on it and I liked my CR Speed but not being able to switch guns without adjusting it was the downside of it.  This holster so far is almost perfect with the release of the gun and ability to use any 2011 on it.  The only thing I wish it had was an tacticle click when it was holstered.  Just so you know it is in there.  But besides that I wouldn't change anything else. 

I got one on Saturday and ran it today in a match.  No issues at all and draws were smooth with no hangup.  Only issue is that the thigh pad did dig a little early on but quickly became so I didn't notice it.  If could use to be a little thicker or I might add a stick on furniture pad type piece to it for padding.  

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m still waiting on how to buy the muzzle support...

I went from a Guga Ribas to this Safariland 015.  Have not run a holster with a muzzle support and not sure why I would need one.  What makes you want one?

I received my 015 yesterday.  I have used the Alpha X and was more recently using the Everglades.  Honestly, I bought this on a total whim and had zero expectations.  It was either going to work well for me or not and if not, I would sell it here on the forum. 

I do have an extended mag button on my gun.  Initially I had issues with it, but it turns out it was the cap head screw securing the button to the mag release.  It was sticking up just enough that I wasn't able to engage the lock.  I've replaced the screw with a flat head and it works fine.  Just for reference, I've tried it with the EGW paddle, the double tap paddle and the CR speed snakeskin paddle.  The lock does rub a little when going from fully unlocked to locked when using the DT or CR Speed, but it's really not an issue when drawing.  When I say a little, it's barely perceptible.  I thought about taking the lever off and removing some material, but it's not worth it at all.  The locking lever does not need to be fully forward to unlock and draw. 

The adjust-ability is excellent as others have said.  It didn't take too long to get it where I want it.  I did use blue loctite on the screws.  Maybe they deliberately ship them a little loose, I'm not sure.  I didn't want to take a chance so I just sured them up.

I dry fired with it for about 30 minutes and I'm already pretty consistent.  Draws are one of my strong suits, always have been for some reason.  I wish transitioning came as easily to me...or maybe stage planning...

One thing I absolutely love about the Everglades is the lock.  When you unload, show clear, holster and fully lock that thing, you know the gun is not coming out until you reach down and disengage that lock.  I don't get the same warm and fuzzy from the 015.  That may be entirely unfounded, but as I said earlier in the post, you do not have to fully disengage the lock to draw.  And the lever moves very easily with no positive feedback when it's engaged or disengaged.  So my fear is that it moves a tad, becomes unlocked and wham - DQ.  Again, may be unfounded, some others who have had it longer are better positioned to comment on that.  I have not run around with it, or even live fired with it.

I'm shooting a Venom open gun with a Cheely E2 grip and the fit was perfect with no modifications needed, unlike the Everglades.  The 015 is actually a little more snug than the EG, which I like.  There's a lot less wobble.

I'm not seeing a .25 improvement, but as I said  I draw pretty well.  I have noticed a more consistent draw though.  As Unregistered mentioned, the magnets on the EG holster can be finicky at times.  The 015 does not have that idiosyncrasy, hence the release is smoother and more agreeable, at least to me.

Is it worth it - To be honest, I don't know.  How often do draws detract from your overall stage score?  Classifiers would be the only time I can think of that it really matters at all.  I don't think it offers any advantage on a field course, especially one with an awkward starting position...or any position that's not similar to a classifier whether hands at sides or above shoulders. 

Am I going to keep it.  Early indications are yes.  I do like it better for Surrender draws which will come in handy for Steel Challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

So, interesting thing happened today.  I received my second open gun from Venom Customs.  It's basically identical to my first except this one has the Cheely XWF frame.  Well the trigger guard on the XWF is about a 10th wider than the Cheely standard open frame trigger guard and guess what happens...the 015 binds on it.  I'm hesitant to remove any material from the holster, because it will make my other gun sloppy.  Anyone have any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, clw42 said:

So, interesting thing happened today.  I received my second open gun from Venom Customs.  It's basically identical to my first except this one has the Cheely XWF frame.  Well the trigger guard on the XWF is about a 10th wider than the Cheely standard open frame trigger guard and guess what happens...the 015 binds on it.  I'm hesitant to remove any material from the holster, because it will make my other gun sloppy.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I have the same frame on my open guns and they fit right in perfectly.  Maybe my builder thinned out the trigger guard?  I can measure the width if you want to compare.

Just now, Silverscooby27 said:

My Cheely Extra Wide is the one that binds a little. Fits for the most part, but occasionally binds. I’m back to the Alpha X.

My Cheely XWF frames don't bind.  Those are the ones I can measure to see if we have the same thickness trigger guards.  I am yet to have mine bind at all.

Sorry guys, I said frame, because that is basically the only difference between the two guns.  It's actually the E2 Grip on the new one that has the wider (by a tenth of an inch) trigger guard.  Both guns have the Cheely E2. 

18 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

My Cheely Extra Wide is the one that binds a little. Fits for the most part, but occasionally binds. I’m back to the Alpha X.

That's what I'm getting, the occasional binding.  Like if I don't draw straight up and out, it hitches.  So I can either go back to the Everglades or relieve some of the material that's causing the binding.  This will also cause my other gun to be a little floppy in there, like it currently is in the EG.  Very interesting set of circumstances.

My two guns with the Cheely extra wides are already really floppy AND they bind occasionally. Plus, the locking lever is too short and does not work with my mag release paddle. I received an email from Safariland just today saying they do not have any plans to make a different locking lever to accommodate extended mag releases. I also wish they would release a muzzle support, but I have yet to see that either. This combination of things made me go back to the Alpha X. I tried the Everglades for a while. It releases great but it digs in my thigh and I don’t like the way the rollers mark up the bottom of the frame.

My original releases great from the 015 and is a little sloppy in the Everglades.  I still have an Alpha X as well so maybe I'll see how they both fit in that one.

I totally agree on the Everglades marking up the bottom of the frame.  I'm not really a fan of that at all.  I don't have the same problem with it digging in though. 

Almost 15,000 rounds now and not a single issue with my 015. SVI metal grip + Cheely XWF built by Venom Customs. I have a pair of guns (one match, one practice) and both work 100%. No desire for a muzzle support either.

Sold my Alpha-X. Don't see a need for another holster.

Hmm...it may be the grip and not the frame? My guns that don’t work great with the 015 have the Cheely E2 aggressive. The Everglades didn’t work with these grips either but did work fine with one of my other guns that has a standard Cheely E2 grip and a standard width STI frame. Maybe it’s the SV grip that makes the 015 work well.