Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Safariland 015 Competition Holster

BangSwitch

I just received my 015.  I'm moving from an 014 with a Cheely 6" 2011 and a LimCat 6" 2011.  Much easier to holster the 015 than the 014.  The 014 is finicky with the muzzle rest and seating the trigger guard.  It would have been nice to be able to adjust the length/cant of the lever.  Not that happy about the height difference between the 014 and 015.  I have my 014 at the lowest height setting (long arms for a high waistline) and it's about 1.5" lower than the lowest 015 setting.  The result, for me, is more of an uncomfortable wrist bend and an inconsistent grip.  It's more training, but I prefer to have the 015 at the same height as my production/CO rig with the Safariland USPSA hanger.  The lock is definitely a challenge to hit it every time with the uncomfortable wrist angle. 

Update:  I solved the problem.  They used the same ball joint for the 015 as the 014, so I just used the 014 USPSA hanger.  I lose the cool 015 machined easy-removal-for-transport hanger, but if it doesn't work for me, it's useless.  It's about the same as if I purchased a DAA Alpha-X and had to get an extended hanger.

Edited by sf_shooter

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, sf_shooter said:

I just received my 015.  I'm moving from an 014 with a Cheely 6" 2011 and a LimCat 6" 2011.  Much easier to holster the 015 than the 014.  The 014 is finicky with the muzzle rest and seating the trigger guard.  It would have been nice to be able to adjust the length/cant of the lever.  Not that happy about the height difference between the 014 and 015.  I have my 014 at the lowest height setting (long arms for a high waistline) and it's about 1.5" lower than the lowest 015 setting.  The result, for me, is more of an uncomfortable wrist bend and an inconsistent grip.  It's more training, but I prefer to have the 015 at the same height as my production/CO rig with the Safariland USPSA hanger.  The lock is definitely a challenge to hit it every time with the uncomfortable wrist angle. 

Update:  I solved the problem.  They used the same ball joint for the 015 as the 014, so I just used the 014 USPSA hanger.  I lose the cool 015 machined easy-removal-for-transport hanger, but if it doesn't work for me, it's useless.  It's about the same as if I purchased a DAA Alpha-X and had to get an extended hanger.

I have the same compliant about the 015. Its a great holster however. definitely an upgrade to the 014. Love your idea on swapping parts...im totally going to do that. 

Just spoke to Safariland support and they will ask the R&D guys if they will make an extended hanger piece.  I'm surprised none of their sponsored shooters have raised this problem as I see a few of them have their 014s at the lowest setting.  Not holding my breath that they will call me back, since I have never dealt with them before and don't know how responsive they are.  It would be nice to have a color matching hanger and be able to easily detach the holster from my belt.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:14 AM, ahfox32 said:

I had this same issue with my Cheely grip gun. My solution was to get a Brazos Cyclone low profile mag button. Works perfectly and looks great.

I have decided after changing the button I am going back to my old mag release and the Everglades holster . I don’t like the fact you really don’t like the fact I need to change my gun to use it . Back to my old

holster . Going to sell it 

Very very happy with this holster.

No issues even on an awkward draw. No retention issues. Still the smoothest release I've ever felt out of any holsters,

I still have my 014, so I looked at moving the 015 on to the 014 hanger. Decided I didn't really need to do that.

Can't seem to embed instagram videos, so here is a link to one from a match this past weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeDf-pnIBQ/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 2:34 AM, Silverscooby27 said:

Is it digging in the leg at all? Especially when comparing to Alpha X holster?

After a few matches now.... nope. No issues with digging into the leg with the thighpad on!

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Any new negative feedback at all other than dropping the gun out in dry fire once?

A minor one - it makes a squeaking noise when I walk around on the range. All screws / bolts are tight, so I don't know where it's coming from.

I now have 6 matches, ~90 hours of live fire and 7 weeks of daily dryfire with it. It truly is my favourite holster and I can't think of anything I'd like to change. And from my previous write up, you know I'm picky! :D It doesn't dig into my leg, it still has the best release I've felt, and I don't feel the need for increased adjustment options. I know people here have had issues with the hanger, but I don't. I have a 014 holster here too, so I could put that hanger on - but don't see the need.

1 hour ago, Unregistered said:

What do you want to know that hasn't been covered by this thread?

I was just curious on the locked versus unlocked draw.  From reading the thread I wasn't sure if you were required to keep it locked and unlock it on the draw stroke or if you could use it unlocked like other race holsters 

4 hours ago, Mike21STI said:

I was just curious on the locked versus unlocked draw.  From reading the thread I wasn't sure if you were required to keep it locked and unlock it on the draw stroke or if you could use it unlocked like other race holsters 

I haven't found a need to lock it in all the times I've been using it. And that's with some weird IPSC start positions 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:39 AM, Unregistered said:

Alright... so I've had some dryfire time (~5 hours) and some livefire time (~10 hours) with this holster now. For your reference, I am using a SVI Signature metal grip. Shouldn't really matter, but it's their micropocket model with double undercut trigger guard. All my holster experiences have been with this grip. New guns are using a cheely XWF frame and the old gun was a CK Arms frame. 

I will be sticking with the 015 over my previous choice, the Alpha-X.

How'd I get here?

Started with a CR Speed. I dropped my gun from it, with the holster locked. Proper shims were installed. Apparently this is a feature.... Nope.

DAA Race Master - perfect up/down draw stroke needed, otherwise it catches/hangs up every so often. Not enough for it to really be replicated on demand, but enough that it was a problem. Tried adjusting/filing the block, no real success.

Manny Bragg Magnetic holster / Everglades - I have both. Great release from the holster with the ball design. Magnets were interesting, but added some resistance and took a bit away from the short "release" distance. Was the best gun release I had found so far, but I couldn't get the holster to fit nicely with or without the thigh pad. Something was always jabbing me in the thigh, and also stopped me from getting as low in a low port crouching situation. I'm fairly flexible and can often take  a knee and bend enough to not go prone... but this holster hindered that.

Safariland 014 - Very nice (though not as nice as the everglades) release in terms of how smooth the holster let the gun go, and how short of a distance. But even with the muzzle support, I still found the gun wobbling too much within the holster side-to-side. Shooting a steel challenge match with it, with all the hands above shoulders starts, really showed me that this wasn't going to work.

DAA Alpha-X - 3 season with this. Absolutely the best hanger I've had. The angled piece that takes the holster body away from the hanger is amazing. I've had the gun catch a few times here and there on a less than stellar draw, but was willing to live with it. Gun travels ~5-6mm before release, with a slight bit of resistance on the stroke. The gun can't start coming forward until this is cleared.

Safariland 015 - by far the best releasing holster I've used. The gun moves ~2mm before the retention is completely disengaged silently and without resistance. This allows the muzzle to start coming upwards towards the target before the trigger guard is even half-cleared of the holster block. I love it. The adjustment is great. The thigh pad while not contact-free like the Alpha-X is actually fairly tolerable. I am still getting used to this holster and to be fair, I have dropped my gun from it twice during dryfire. I find that I have to consciously press the gun to the rear of the holster before lowering into the retention mechanism. The lock does operate even if the retention system isn't engaged (unlike the DAA), so having the locking lever in the "locked" position is no guarantee of correct gun seating. I chalk this up to muscle memory from being able to just "drop" my gun into the Alpha-X built up over 3 seasons, so will be working on this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review! I like my 015 also 🙂

9 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m now seeing this listed on the Safariland website as “015xl”. Does anyone know what makes this different than the standard 015 if anything? Are they selling it with a longer hanger now? The photo on the website still looks the same as the “015”.

No... the the 015 XL is the 015 with the added Muzzle support assy. This will launch soon.

17 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Cool! Will we be able to buy the muzzle support separately? I like a muzzle support.

Yes absolutely! We are trying to launch this Friday or early next week. 

Has anyone used this with a BUL Armory plastic grip, or a Para style frame? I have a Para open gun and just built a BUL open gun. Looking at the 015 as it looks like both will fit.