Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Magazines is Hard

lanre

So, I'm new to the sport.  Very first match I ever shot was actually IDPA using a Walther PPQ 4"  Second stage, I shot and reloaded.  Shot some more and reached for my 3rd magazine to reload again to find...well...nothing.  Looking at the video, you can clearly see the 3rd magazine fall out and to the ground when I grabbed my second one.  I never even noticed.  Had no idea where I'd lost it, so I just took the penalties for not engaging the last targets and laughed about it.

A bit later, I'm hooked and I've moved into USPSA.  Now shooting my current XFive Legion in Carry Optics.  It was the second stage of the day once again.  I had my stage meticulously planned out.  Shot my first array, reloaded (never noticing something was different), bang, bang, lock back.  That day I learned that it's important to reload your magazines in between stages so that they have more than 1 round in them.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, lanre said:

A bit later, I'm hooked and I've moved into USPSA.  Now shooting my current XFive Legion in Carry Optics.  It was the second stage of the day once again.  I had my stage meticulously planned out.  Shot my first array, reloaded (never noticing something was different), bang, bang, lock back.  That day I learned that it's important to reload your magazines in between stages so that they have more than 1 round in them.

Been there and done that...So the morale of the story is to never put empty mags back on your belt.  When rounding up mags after a stage them in your pocket, range, etc. but never put them back on your belt.

One time, many years, I got to the starting box and realized I didn't have enough mags.  The RO, who was a friend and running the same mags.  I reached out and snatched two of his and said, ok, I'm good.  Ran the stage with no issues.  We all got a pretty good laugh out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

On my first outdoor match, there was a stage that involved getting into a car and shooting out the window. 

I tried to move quickly into the car and get into a good shooting position. I then heard the sound of all 4 mags on my belt dumping onto the floor of said car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Always go in with fully loaded mag's even if its a 15 round stage and you have 4, 23  round mags. You wont lose anything by carrying it with you and in case of a malf with either a mage or the gun its sometimes easier to drop a mag an rack the slide

I did it once when shooting a steel challenge match. I only loaded up about 8 rounds in each of my mags. Shot all 5 strings with 5 rounds each and then just forgot to reload the mags for the next stage. When it was my turn to shoot again, there was a lot of bang, bang, bang, click, @$&/@! Needless to say I never made that mistake again!

I use magnet “pouches” so I always just stick my last mag on my belt during UASC.  When I reload my mags I always check all of them to make sure they are full.  Also you can make it a habit to check mags during LAMR.  

when i shoot revo and constantly check my belt to make sure there isn’t a moon with only 6 or 7 rounds.  I’ve done that before and went click click...*&*(&*(!!!!!! and reloaded a fresh one on a stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen it, done it.  Now very careful to not put a partial magazine back on the belt.

I once got an IDPA procedural the other way 'round.  I had stuffed the ULSC round in a magazine; I THOUGHT a partial mag that I would refill.  But it was an 11 round LAMR and on the next stage I got the procedural for firing 12 shots in a row.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, MadBomber said:

One time, many years, I got to the starting box and realized I didn't have enough mags.  The RO, who was a friend and running the same mags.  I reached out and snatched two of his and said, ok, I'm good. 

Note to self...don't read these topics while drinking.  You might have to clean the computer afterwards.  

• 3 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, lanre said:

That day I learned that it's important to reload your magazines in between stages so that they have more than 1 round in them.

My first big Sectional Match I was all amped up, excited to be there. It was probably my 5th match since I joined USPSA and maybe 3 months into my shooting. I was chatting like a mad hatter all blah blah blah about how much fun it was. Heard my name called and ran up to shoot, loaded with my Barney mag and placed a mag from my belt in that hada round on top but I was too clueless to tell it was too light in weight and empty. I don't think any of my mags on belt had more than 3 rds in them. I racked up so many FTE's. Ugh, learning lessons, they are not friendly LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I was messing with a different gun and trying those mags on my belt. Never re-adjusted my black scorpion mags before the match. So, I put my mags on and didn’t notice they’re very loose. Beep goes off and I run to my 2nd position and I feel all my mags fly off my belt. Wasn’t very fun picking mags off the ground lol