Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos bullets - very happy so far

124gr9mm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jpm2953 said:

I’m not sure why people would try anything other than BBI. .059 each shipped with a discount code. 

My chamber doesn't like their 115 ogive.

I don't have a bullet feeder, so my fingers turns black.

I prefer .356.

2 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Personally I'd pay $6/thousand more for the coating Precision uses, and I wasnt aware of a discount code for BBI.

^^^

This

I have personally tested a few coated bullets* to see if the coating comes off and without a doubt Precision Bullet is the toughest. 

I tested by shooting with multiple guns (poly and traditional rifling) the bullets into a trap and inspecting them. None of the Precision Bullets showed any bare lead, the coating remained intact on the entire bullet.

Because of this I purchased a large bulk order and when my ACMEs are gone I will be all in with Precision Bullet. Cost was just over 6 cents a round.

BTW, My experience shooting the sample pack of 125 Brazos was an occasional feed issue do to the step/ridge from the base to where the ogive begins. Didn't shoot enough to see if they caused a lot of lead build up.

*ACME, Eggelston, Blues, SNS, Brazos, Precision Bullets all 125 & 147 9MM .356, .357, .358

So for those of you using the more expensive coated bullets, why not use a plated bullet? You can get the Everglades plated for about the same price as a precision, and iirc the RMR and Berrys are fairly close as well. Is it really worth it to deal with coated bullets for the extra couple FPS you get out of a coated vs plated? Or is there another reason I’m missing.

I know I personally went to coated purely for the cost savings, but now that that the cost savings is dwindling, why not go back to plated since they’re so much less finicky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

So for those of you using the more expensive coated bullets, why not use a plated bullet? You can get the Everglades plated for about the same price as a precision, and iirc the RMR and Berrys are fairly close as well. Is it really worth it to deal with coated bullets for the extra couple FPS you get out of a coated vs plated? Or is there another reason I’m missing.

I know I personally went to coated purely for the cost savings, but now that that the cost savings is dwindling, why not go back to plated since they’re so much less finicky?

For me, polymer coated bullets are not finicky at all, provided you're using a quality bullet; properly applied coating, adequate Brinell hardness, etc.  I can easily work up an accurate load with coated bullets.  Plated bullets are the ones finicky for me.  It's more effort for me to dial in that top accuracy with a plated bullet than it is a polymer coated bullet.  They're not bad, just more work to get the result I want.  

On 2/3/2020 at 11:02 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

If you bought Brazos bullets, then you were like me and going after the cheapest option. I found another really cheap optio that uses much harder lead.   J-Ames bullets, and every picture I can find of their bullets has that matte grey/black color, which leads me to believe they have the same coating as Precision, which I think is the best.  I'll be the guinea pig here; I'm ordering 2000 125gr 9mm bullets for $130 shipped ($.065 each) and will start a new thread on them after I've used them.  

Interested to see your findings. Call me easy but I was ready to try 2K after reading all the big words on their website. Too bad they don't have CC check out. If the claims stack up, they have a real good thing going.  

I've shot 800ish 135gr (.357") Brazos. 500 through a TP9SFx with some leading, 300 through a S2 and the bore looks pretty good. Good accuracy out of both guns. Thinking I'd like to try some other manufactures before making a sizable purchase.

Edited by Cam73

If all I loaded for was my S2 I'd just stick with Precision, the coating is the best.    I do have the RMR plated (heavy plate) shooting well, but it takes a few tenths more powder.  One advantage of coated.

2 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Also interested in this mystical discount code. Sounds like I need to try some of these bullets!

Chandler rarely gives discounts on his BBI bullets. He talks about it on FB etc every time it comes up. It's usually not a huge discount anyway as he knows his bullets sell themselves. Mostly around holidays is when you might see a discount.

8 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Also interested in this mystical discount code. Sounds like I need to try some of these bullets!

Not mystical. Look one post above yours. 

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Chandler rarely gives discounts on his BBI bullets. He talks about it on FB etc every time it comes up. It's usually not a huge discount anyway as he knows his bullets sell themselves. Mostly around holidays is when you might see a discount.

7.5% is a pretty good discount. 

47 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I wonder how long they will honor that code- if everyone knows it, it becomes the new defacto price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve been using it for probably a year.I’ve been using it for probably a year.

I wonder how long they will honor that code- if everyone knows it, it becomes the new defacto price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I should probably order some before it’s not a thing anymore then? Lol. Might as well go for 3k right?

But on a serious not, Iv never tried the truncated cones (looking at the 147s), how will those those do In my Glocks, SP-01, or Foxtrot Mike AR?

I also had leading problems with their 125 gr bullet on my Shadow 2.  Spoke with them via email several times concerning the leading problem. I’ve got 2 cases sitting in my garage taking up room. 
Gonna try running them through my Glock but don’t have much confidence in them at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Leading with this latest batch. I have about 3000 left of the 135gr Brazos. Will run these for the next 6 weeks.

Ordering RMR 124 gr FMJ on Monday and will be switching to them once I'm through the Brazos. Too bad. They a good group of folks. Wish I could continue to support them but don't want to deal with the leading.

ac9a941bce2fe7140cc755e16464d81d.jpg
After cleaning
7ca4cbbac56f1413547a6c84f74eb2c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Yep I did that the fall of last year.

Got tired of the excuses and trail and error.

Bayou's run great and no leading for several years before Brazos.

got taken in by the low price.

Back to Bayou's for minor mostly.  Some RMR TC 125's and FMJ

Also everglades and Precision Delta are good products and reasonable prices

19 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Leading with this latest batch. I have about 3000 left of the 135gr Brazos. Will run these for the next 6 weeks.

Ordering RMR 124 gr FMJ on Monday and will be switching to them once I'm through the Brazos. Too bad. They a good group of folks. Wish I could continue to support them but don't want to deal with the leading.

ac9a941bce2fe7140cc755e16464d81d.jpg
After cleaning
7ca4cbbac56f1413547a6c84f74eb2c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I’ve got about 1k left of them. Already loaded. I just want to throw them away. 

I've have not shot many 9mm brazos rounds, however I've used brazos .40s most of last season in my STI and didn't have any issues with leading. 

I wonder if barrel to bullet diameter is a factor that could result in increased leading, in addition to lead hardness