Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets?

AzDanMan

I am getting ready to start reloading in 40 S&W. I am a newbie. Which bullets should I use? I am leaning toward FMJ. All suggestions are appreciated.
FMJ are always the best quality projectile. However, the coated lead stuff has gotten really good in the last few years and many of us have switched. I use ibejiheads myself but blue bullets, gallant, BBI, ACME, SNS, e.t.c all work great. The cost difference allows you to squeeze out more quantity.

I did recently buy an humongous batch of Zero 180gr JHPs and I've been utilizing them for major matches only. I probably won't buy them again unless I come upon a sweet deal again. I really like my ibejiheads with WST. Very little smoke noticed when im shooting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've been using Xtreme plated bullets, but I've used some Rainier too - they all seem to get the job done well enough and are fairly cost effective with a breakdown of something like 9 cents a bullet.

FMJ bullets are always going to be the best quality, so it's really a matter of deciding what you want to spend.  There comes a point with some ammo - 9mm comes to mind - where if you want to buy in bulk, you almost don't see any cost savings by reloading. 

When I first started reloading, I was specifically using hard cast lead bullets because they were the cheapest option, but I got tired of dealing with the smoke the bullet lube produced, never mind the leading in the barrel, although I did make some pretty danged accurate reloads.

At this point I reload because I enjoy it, especially since I upgraded my reloading gear to a Dillon RL-550C.  It's just nice to be able to choose what's in the load, and for my money, I'm perfectly happy with plated bullets.

Az, the best, most consistent bullets you can shoot are almost always JHPs, not FMJs.  They don't lead and are generally more accurate.

Your next decision will be bullet weight.  For minor you want 135 or 155gr.  I prefer 155s.  For major you have more choices.  I started out loading 180s for major, only because that was what almost everyone else was using.  A friend swore by 155s so I tried some.  I finally settled on 165s as being the best compromise between softness and slide action.  The sights return more quickly with the 165s.  They are even faster with the 155s, but it hits your hand harder.

Have fun experimenting.

JHPs are the most accurate. But what is the 'most accurate' ? I guarantee you wont notice a match accuracy difference in a JHP vs a coated.

Everyone I know hangs out in the 180-200gr area. Recently got stuck on the 200s myself, so far I love them for SS and Lim

• 2 weeks later...

I love my SNS coated bullets and have had zero issues with them. They're family owned, and customer service is fantastic. I've tried another coated brand and found them to be more inconsistent in their coating thickness, leaving me with rounds that don't pass case gauge.

As a newer shooter, I prefer the 200 grains out of my 1911 just because they give it more push and less snap. I shoot 180s regularly out of my 2011 though, and they work nicely in both. 165s tend to be much more unpredictable in various major guns. I've heard they're great for minor though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, AzDanMan said:

I am getting ready to start reloading in 40 S&W. I am a newbie. Which bullets should I use? I am leaning toward FMJ. All suggestions are appreciated.

I just shot my first limited nationals with Blue Bullets.  I love them because they really help the sport and make a really consistent bullet.  All my weights vary here and there but it meters well on the chrono.  Their customer service rocks also and shipping is fast.   

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 10:34 PM, MikeRussell said:

I run Gallant 180gr coated for 40, 135gr coated for 9mm. As an added bonus, if you're a veteran you get a lifetime 10% off.

Do you have to bell out your case mouth quite a bit with these bullets, or no?  With blue bullets QC there is no more belling required than an FMJ.  Are these similar?  Thanks.