Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First "High End" pistol purchase

JS624

Hey guys just joined today!

So here's the deal I'm a precision rifle shooter and have been competing for the last 2 to 2.5 years and have really been enjoying it.

As of late tho I've been feeling like I want to branch out into other forms of competition shooting. So I bought a volquartsen scorpion and have been shooting the s#!t out of it and having a blast. 

I shot one speed steel match and got smoked lol but it lit a fire so to speak for my desire to be competitive at everything I do.

I love to shoot and I try to every chance I get it doesn't matter what I'm shooting.

A buddy shoots uspsa and 3 gun and invited me to come watch. So I did and I think I've got the bug and want to try uspsa.

I have a gen 4 g19 with a dot that I carry and I'm sure it would work but i hate the trigger on it lol even tho its upgraded.(I'm so used to my 1lb TriggerTech diamond in my match rifle) 

I realize a pistol trigger won't be the same but my kimber 1911 has a much better trigger then my glock.

I was looking at buying a zev 0z9 competition model but have sense turned my attention to an Atlas titan.

I've always wanted a nice 2011 and I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once. I've set my budget at about 4000$. My mind is pretty much made up on the titan but am curious what you guys think?

Bad decision to buy such an expensive piece before i even try a match? It would double as a range toy and I'll shoot it in speed steel as well.

I have no experience with 2011 other then what I've googled and YouTube'd lol

Thanks

Edited by JS624
Spelling

My advice (and I follow it as well) is to delay a major purchase and

shoot what you currently have.

At least a few times.

See if you can handle other shooters' firearms over the next few

months, and see what you like.

But, if money is no object - you cannot go wrong buying a 2011    :) 

7 hours ago, JS624 said:

Hey guys just joined today!

So here's the deal I'm a precision rifle shooter and have been competing for the last 2 to 2.5 years and have really been enjoying it.

As of late tho I've been feeling like I want to branch out into other forms of competition shooting. So I bought a volquartsen scorpion and have been shooting the s#!t out of it and having a blast. 

I shot one speed steel match and got smoked lol but it lit a fire so to speak for my desire to be competitive at everything I do.

I love to shoot and I try to every chance I get it doesn't matter what I'm shooting.

A buddy shoots uspsa and 3 gun and invited me to come watch. So I did and I think I've got the bug and want to try uspsa.

I have a gen 4 g19 with a dot that I carry and I'm sure it would work but i hate the trigger on it lol even tho its upgraded.(I'm so used to my 1lb TriggerTech diamond in my match rifle) 

I realize a pistol trigger won't be the same but my kimber 1911 has a much better trigger then my glock.

I was looking at buying a zev 0z9 competition model but have sense turned my attention to an Atlas titan.

I've always wanted a nice 2011 and I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once. I've set my budget at about 4000$. My mind is pretty much made up on the titan but am curious what you guys think?

Bad decision to buy such an expensive piece before i even try a match? It would double as a range toy and I'll shoot it in speed steel as well.

I have no experience with 2011 other then what I've googled and YouTube'd lol

Thanks

If you got the money, go for it.  Like mentioned earlier make sure your budget includes all the related paraphernalia needed for the sport.  But if you got the money a, 4000 for a good 2011 is a better decision than 2000 for a warmed over glock in 9mm, cause you are going to want a 40.

PS i would recommend shooting a few matches with you got before going bat s#!t crazy with spending money though

Dawson still showing STI Edges on hand for 2k. Not much on the clock that gun wont do that the Titan will. Assuming you can do your own tuning, and maybe a trigger job down the line.
For that matter, wait a couple months after nationals ,and be plenty of used for sale. Get an off the shelf or used gun first and learn what you like and dont like about it before going custom or higher end.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you're ready for the Titan. In the short couple paragraphs of your OP, you already bounced between several different guns. That to me is a red flag of someone who doesn't know what they don't know. 

Shoot a match or ten, start developing some preferences, and move on from there.

31 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

That to me is a red flag of someone who doesn't know what they don't know. 

Lol I dont disagree.

4 hours ago, RJH said:

If you got the money, go for it.  Like mentioned earlier make sure your budget includes all the related paraphernalia needed for the sport.  But if you got the money a, 4000 for a good 2011 is a better decision than 2000 for a warmed over glock in 9mm, cause you are going to want a 40.

PS i would recommend shooting a few matches with you got before going bat s#!t crazy with spending money though

Sound advice here. I had 4k budgeted for a pistol but did not consider the extras needed for match shooting. I'd like to stay with 9mm. Why do u suggest a 40?

6 hours ago, PharmDShooter said:

I would try to shoot a 2011 or at least hold one first. 

Alright, thanks I'll see if I can make that happen.

11 minutes ago, JS624 said:

I'd like to stay with 9mm. Why do u suggest a 40?

In USPSA Limited Division .40 scores "major" and 9mm scores "minor".  You'll be at a scoring disadvantage. 

Initially it might not matter, that's why the suggestions above to just shoot whatever you have for a few matches to learn, but eventually the scoring will matter.

23 minutes ago, JS624 said:

Sound advice here. I had 4k budgeted for a pistol but did not consider the extras needed for match shooting. I'd like to stay with 9mm. Why do u suggest a 40?

Bjb nailed it. A Titans going to put you in limited, and I actually think a Zev would too. As far as I know the Zev only comes in 9 mil which will put you at a disadvantage in limited. This is why I say take what you have and shoot it for a bit. Google the rules, read the ones about competitor equipment and safety, take whatever pistol you have that's 9 mm or larger that you like, and enough mags to hold at least forty rounds at the beginning of a stage and go shoot a match. You May figure out that you don't even want to shoot Limited, but you're not going to really understand what's going on at a match until you shot a few.

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Poor idea to spend $ 4,000 before you understand the rules.

I'm starting to see this.

Glad I asked.

52 minutes ago, BJB said:

In USPSA Limited Division .40 scores "major" and 9mm scores "minor".  You'll be at a scoring disadvantage. 

Initially it might not matter, that's why the suggestions above to just shoot whatever you have for a few matches to learn, but eventually the scoring will matter.

That really sucks haha I didn't want to shoot 40

Thanks for pointing this out. Definitely going to have to reevaluate what I wanna do. 

I'm definitely gonna go shoot a couple matches with my glock and see what it's all about.

thanks everyone 

17 minutes ago, JS624 said:

I'm starting to see this.

Glad I asked.

That really sucks haha I didn't want to shoot 40

Thanks for pointing this out. Definitely going to have to reevaluate what I wanna do. 

I'm definitely gonna go shoot a couple matches with my glock and see what it's all about.

thanks everyone 

If you don't want to shoot 40, limited is going to be a bad idea. 9 is great in single stack, production, carry Ops, and PCC. It's good and open to but that's a whole nother thing

23 minutes ago, JS624 said:

^^^This is the best thing to do.  You never know what direction you might want to go.

When I was new I thought Limited is what I wanted to do.  I shot several matches with a double stack 9mm in Limited minor and realized Production is what interested me.  I'm glad I didn't buy up front not knowing anything.

Id say spend it. Though i'm not super competitive I just like shooting nice guns.

An alternative is a single stack a good shooter will typically be cheaper than a comparable double

Since you like the trigger on your Kimber 1911, why not just use that to shoot single stack for a bit? 

It will give you some good trigger time on the 1911/2011 platform and good practice for reloads on the clock as well. 

2 hours ago, RJH said:

If you don't want to shoot 40, limited is going to be a bad idea. 9 is great in single stack, production, carry Ops, and PCC. It's good and open to but that's a whole nother thing

I may just stick to pcc or try single stack with my kimber 1911.

2 hours ago, m700 said:

Id say spend it. Though i'm not super competitive I just like shooting nice guns.

An alternative is a single stack a good shooter will typically be cheaper than a comparable double

Lol same here. Shooting matches with it was just me trying to justify the cost. Maybe I'll just shoot it in speed steel?

26 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Stay away from the ZEV until they get all the kinks worked out.  

Keep watching the classifieds and pic up a clean/used widebody 1911 that catches your eye.  I frequently see great deals on here sub 3k.

I've been hearing some bad about the zev in my research I think I'm going to stay away from it

I'm amazed at the amount of response I'm getting on this topic. It has definitely changed my mind about what I plan to use the titan for.

If i end up with one.

Thank you everyone 

Edit:

Let me change gears here a bit.

Let's throw the competition aspect out of the equation.

I've decided I want a 2011.

I shot a DVC omni

STI eagle that has had a steel grip, internal tune and trigger work done

Sti tactical host

And staccato p

The omni was my favorite for obvious reasons.

That being said I think the tactical host would do everything I need it to do.

Here's my hesitation.

Buy a new staccato p duo put an rmr on it now I'm 3k into it after tax.

Would it do everything I need it to do? Yes would it be as refined as the DVC omni or atlas?

Most likely not. I don't want to look back and regret not spending a little more money on something better.

Buy the omni put an rmr on it. Close to 5k into after tax. Always gonna be in open class if I ever compete with it. Won't hold resale value like an atlas will (I assume)

Or buy an atlas titan. Only drawback is no.option for an rmr. More expensive then the staccato but much more refined.

(Going to hold out and see where the new atlas athena lands price wise)

My uses

Range toy

Speed steel?

2 gun matches?

Uspsa?

Side arm for use on pistol stages at precision rifle matches.

The question is why Atlas? Looks? Feel? Built? 

If i would restart my practical shooting life all over again. I would stick with one platform and buy all the essential i needed for that specific division, gun, etc. 

" I don't want to look back and regret not spending a little more money on something better"

So why not have a gunsmith built you for what you really desire. From the ground up. Plenty of gunsmiths out there. 

SVI, Brazos, McLearn, Etc. Etc. 

Your uses leads me to believe you wanted 9mm.. Am i correct? 

12 minutes ago, Yagi said:

The question is why Atlas? Looks? Feel? Built? 

Your uses leads me to believe you wanted 9mm.. Am i correct? 

Yea I'd like a 9mm. I was thinking atlas because they look awesome.

Changing my thinking tho.

I just want a fun range toy. Something I can put a red dot on. Which the atlas doesn't have that option in something i can afford.

So...kinda only leaves me with the STi staccato p duo or DVC P that I'm aware of.

It's a personal choice.  Several of the top Limited shooters are shooting Glock's.  You can get into a

full set up for a Glock Limited gun for a grand or less.  Shoot Minor at first to see if you like it.  You can

always keep the Glock as a back up gun after you buy a 2011 gun.  But, if you are going to do Ltd, then

40sw is the best way to go.......

• 2 weeks later...