Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I stay or should I go?

PGGUNS

Should I stay in CO, or should go to Open?  Having a bit of a dilemma, been shooting less than a year but have really immersed myself into he sport.  Been moving up the ranks and currently a B level shooter and really enjoy the game, but after shooting my buddies open gun, it seemed to me that I’m king spinning my wheels.  Obviously it is a speed sport and running CO has been a lot of fun but challenging, especially shooting minor.  Seems that going open gives me the best possible opportunity to really go fast while maximizing my scoring opportunities by shooting major.  It also seems that it would be extremely fun running and gunning in the open division.

I guess part of my dilemma is once I decide to go open, it’s a whole other level of commitment, especially from a monetary standpoint.  If I go, it will be all in and that also means the $$ will leave my wallet rather quickly, lol.   I need a little convincing to stay in CO so I’m asking for reasons why I should stay. (Outside of the expense,  which is the main reason I haven’t jumped yet, having a hard time justifying the cost). I’m 99% sure I would get an Atlas Chaos in 9 major so that’s a decent chunk of change along with all the other stuff that goes with it.  

So any suggestions from the vast experience here would be welcomed on staying in CO or moving to Open.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went from Production to Open simply because I wanted too. My eyes were fading and it was either $300 glasses or a $5k Open gun so I made the only rational choice and went Open. LOL What you have to remember is that it's a game and you should play with the toys you want. Thinking you will go faster by going to Open is misleading. Sure you'll shoot a little faster than you will with a CO gun but so does everybody else. Open is a full on race division and everybody goes faster. I usually suggest a simple test. Pick a classifier in CO and calculate a solid A run. Then do that for Open. You will see that you have to really shoot fast to do well on classifiers. I'm an A in Open and I don't think my percentage has moved more than a point or two in three years. But then again I don't practice until my hands bleed either. LOL But I was moving up really well in Production and all of that stopped when I went Open. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is the funnest division.

I went to open after 14yrs in the sport. Still paying off my open equipment but it is so fun I can’t imagine shooting anything else seriously. I’ve got some other division guns to play with (CO included) but. Nothing is as fun as open for me.

I’ve got a 9major Chaos and it is a great choice if you decide to do it. But yes it is super expensive in comparison to other divisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open we’re its at for fun level. On my second year of open an love it. U got the funds do it. Only live once. Should I bring up having back up gun yet. 
Shhhhhhhh. Wait til he buys the first one. Then bring it up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've only shot open so my recommendation is obvious. 

I got my wife into shooting 3 months ago. I bought her a CO gun that she shot for about 2 months.

While practicing I let her shoot my open gun. She shot 20 rnds and turned around with the biggest smile, "the dot doesn't move!". Set up my backup gun that weekend(so I can build a new one of course) and she loves it. Couldn't be happier. 

Go open. 

Edited by echotango

I never stopped in CO for more than a match or two.  Went to Open and don't even want to go anywhere else at the moment.  It is a big financial commitment on both the gear and reloading.  You're not likely to get the gear right on the first go around because even the most minor hiccup will cost you in a division that has so much speed.  

The other thing with Open is that if you're not mechanically inclined and can work on your own stuff then Open might not be the division for you.  These guns are setup to run on the razor's edge of reliability for the sake of speed.  Some will claim that their stuff runs 100% all the time and if it does then those are the outliers.  If you don't work on your own stuff plan to have at least 2 guns.  And even then sometimes, like a cracked slide or shearing the lugs off a barrel, it will be enough to have to send a gun out for possibly months.

If you are looking to get better it would require about the same amount of practice and dry fire to get better in co or open.  An open gun will make you faster (once you are used to it.) but every one shooting open has the same advantage.

If you think you'd like open by all means. If you think it will help you keep interest in the sport great. If there's no competition where you are in CO I could see that.  But don't think suddenly it will make you more competitive.

I went to open like Sarge when my eyes said no to iron sights.   At the time there was only one division that allowed a dot, so to open I went.

Now CO  gives another option.  So if you decide you want to shoot open welcome to the dark side we'll be glad to have you, but be sure you know what you are trying to get out of it.

16 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I never stopped in CO for more than a match or two.  Went to Open and don't even want to go anywhere else at the moment.  It is a big financial commitment on both the gear and reloading.  You're not likely to get the gear right on the first go around because even the most minor hiccup will cost you in a division that has so much speed.  

The other thing with Open is that if you're not mechanically inclined and can work on your own stuff then Open might not be the division for you.  These guns are setup to run on the razor's edge of reliability for the sake of speed.  Some will claim that their stuff runs 100% all the time and if it does then those are the outliers.  If you don't work on your own stuff plan to have at least 2 guns.  And even then sometimes, like a cracked slide or shearing the lugs off a barrel, it will be enough to have to send a gun out for possibly months.

Not bad info.  

Everything in open is more expensive and more difficult. Ammo, mags, accessories. All require more attention/maintenance and cost a lot more. 

You're going to want two guns if you want to shoot seriously.  Maybe even three because if one goes down with a serious problem, you could be without it for months. Then, you'd be down to just one gun. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of going to open. It is fun!  

Not bad info.  

Everything in open is more expensive and more difficult. Ammo, mags, accessories. All require more attention/maintenance and cost a lot more. 

You're going to want two guns if you want to shoot seriously.  Maybe even three because if one goes down with a serious problem, you could be without it for months. Then, you'd be down to just one gun. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of going to open. It is fun!  
Ya. It would be nice. To have 2 or 3 open guns but you don't have to.
If he buys a brand new Atlas or similar quality gun. It should be reliable for quite a while. Depending on how much you shoot.
I sold my backup gun at the beginning of this season to help finance building a new gun. I have run my main gun all season, gone to 10 majors, and never needed a backup gun. Just make sure whatever gun you buy is quality.

I just built a crapper open gun just to try it out, only shot a couple of matches so far, but am really liking it.  I had tinkered with open a little in the past and wasn't real impressed with it, but for some reason this time it just feels right.  So my advice, if want to do it, then do it, cause you will always feel like you missed out if you don't

3 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

Ya. It would be nice. To have 2 or 3 open guns but you don't have to.
If he buys a brand new Atlas or similar quality gun. It should be reliable for quite a while. Depending on how much you shoot.
I sold my backup gun at the beginning of this season to help finance building a new gun. I have run my main gun all season, gone to 10 majors, and never needed a backup gun. Just make sure whatever gun you buy is quality.

I don't want to get in a back.and forth about that but you have a lot more faith than I do. 

No way I'd trust one gun and shoot 10 majors. 

Edited by B_RAD

4 minutes ago, RJH said:

I just built a crapper open gun just to try it out, only shot a couple of matches so far, but am really liking it.  I had tinkered with open a little in the past and wasn't real impressed with it, but for some reason this time it just feels right.  So my advice, if want to do it, then do it, cause you will always feel like you missed out if you don't

I did the same: open glock in .40, yet even though it is a terrible choice according to everyone, it is the most fun I've had.

Seems like if you enjoy CO, then you'd enjoy Open to the Nth degree.

I don't want to get in a back.and forth about that but you have a lot more faith than I do. 

I wasn't wanting to argue. Just saying he shouldn't let the cost of 2 open guns keep him from switching. Not everyone can afford to purchase 2 out of the gate. It's very rare that you will switch to your backup. The shooting community is awesome too. If your gun goes down there is a good chance someone will help you out. Be it loaning you a part or a gun. We take care of each other. I would let someone shoot my gun if theirs broke.

29 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

It must be hit or miss. I have a backup that I had not used in two years. Finally my main gun quit extracting this summer at a level II. I switched guns to finish the match but could have just put a new aftec cap and springs in and went right back to shooting. I had them in my parts kit.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

It must be hit or miss. I have a backup that I had not used in two years. Finally my main gun quit extracting this summer at a level II. I switched guns to finish the match but could have just put a new aftec cap and springs in and went right back to shooting. I had them in my parts kit.

Yup, but you had a parts kit and a backup gun.  My parts kit is literally a second fitted gun without a frame, slide or barrel. It even has a spare comp for my primary gun.  I also have a backup gun but it’s not identical so I’d prefer to replace something broken if need be, but I’ve ran all the fitted parts to be confident.

To the OP, if you move to open, you’ll be better locally immediately, but you’ll need to actually be 6-9% better immediately to just be the same level of shooter in open.  

Open div, in my opinion is the most fun, but also the most difficult to be competitive next to the big boys

.Ya open is faster, but the fast guys in open are WTF fast.  And there is no shortcut to being that.

I started in open with a dvc, then sold it and waited to get a venom, then gun went down. Bought a chaos. Now I've invested about 13k in open gear this year alone. Got 3 back when I sold my DVC. 

Moral of the story get something new, pick a caliber whatever it is and stick with it. Don't f*#k with anything just shoot it. Trust me you'll have no problem finding the drive to go practice. It's a f*#king riot when you got buddies to burn it down with. 

If I could do it all over again I'd buy a new venom from Don, 9 major, whatever dot your used to, get 4 mags 2 170's and 2 155's. Plastic silica carbide grip is fine to start with. The money you save not going metal grip pays for your mags. 

Just go have fun and learn the platform and learn the division, everything looks diffent (to me at least) when planning a stage for open. Takes alot of getting used to. 

I struggled with it, and instead of practicing like I should have I tried different dots, then different calibers, just trying to find comfort. 

Then I left everything alone with my RTS2 and my 38sc chaos and it's been a riot since. Not I gotta sell off all my open s#!t for a move and a new job. But that's a different story for a different day lol. 

Cheers man, if your asking about it your gonna do it. Just a matter of time. 

Well and now for the other side.
Go for a better carry optic rig, figure out how to trick out a good CO platform. Still way cheaper. No reason you cant run nearly as fast. Still get a dot, and you're shooting minor ammo, which is readily available cheap right now. Which removes some of the compensator's advantage.
Not worth my time to reload or use up my components on 9mm minor these days. Could make traveling to majors easier, fly with your 11 lbs, but be able to buy some locally when you get there.
Also on your minor and major statements.  I think you have some misconceptions

9 hours ago, PGGUNS said:

Seems that going open gives me the best possible opportunity to really go fast while maximizing my scoring opportunities by shooting major.

Not really true, this is a game of percentage of the winner in your division.
So you wont do bettr n score going to open because you get to shoot open.  Your raw score will be higher, but so will everyone elses so your percent wont change. Its not like you go major and everyone else stays minor.
Same with CO its not handicapping you or being more challenging shooting minor. Because EVERYONE is shooting minor.

As mentioned, for Open, your other hobby better be tuning and working on guns and magazines. While CO guns need some work, most platforms parts are plug and play and drop in. A 2011 based guns parts will just about always need hand fitting, frequently with specific tools.

I think CO is a great division, almost becoming a Open minor division.

Sure wish there was a “button” for all the good responses.  Pretty overwhelming responses and I think was I like best was almost to a person the “Fun” aspect was highlighted.  I don’t expect that I will get better instantly but I am a decent shooter, very competitive, and practice a lot.  I’m not getting any younger so the clock is certainly ticking.  Part of the hesitation is not only the money commitment with all the other stuff (already thought about a backup gun).  I guess this is my mid-life crisis.  I keep telling my wife that there are worse (more expensive) things I could be having a mid-life crises with.  Not sure she’s buying that, lol

7 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Well and now for the other side.
Go for a better carry optic rig, figure out how to trick out a good CO platform. Still way cheaper. No reason you cant run nearly as fast. Still get a dot, and you're shooting minor ammo, which is readily available cheap right now. Which removes some of the compensator's advantage.
Not worth my time to reload or use up my components on 9mm minor these days. Could make traveling to majors easier, fly with your 11 lbs, but be able to buy some locally when you get there.
Also on your minor and major statements.  I think you have some misconceptions

Not really true, this is a game of percentage of the winner in your division.
So you wont do bettr n score going to open because you get to shoot open.  Your raw score will be higher, but so will everyone elses so your percent wont change. Its not like you go major and everyone else stays minor.
Same with CO its not handicapping you or being more challenging shooting minor. Because EVERYONE is shooting minor.

As mentioned, for Open, your other hobby better be tuning and working on guns and magazines. While CO guns need some work, most platforms parts are plug and play and drop in. A 2011 based guns parts will just about always need hand fitting, frequently with specific tools.

I think CO is a great division, almost becoming a Open minor division.

All great points and that is exactly my dilemma, and pretty much where I am now.  Very happy with my CO gun, I moved from a g34 to S2 and love it, have the SRO coming so it will even be better.   I hate when people like you insert logic into the conversation, lol. I get that it’s a bit relative to the division I’m in, in terms of scoring, but it seems like the fun factor is at another level.  Good advice from the “other side” Joe4d.

I shoot OPEN, and love it, and it sounds like You will, also, but you asked for reasons to stay in CO:

1.  You'll learn to shoot better with your CO - get up to an A in CO and then you'll be on the right track for OPEN

The comp, the Major - all mean you can shoot a little sloppy and still shoot well - not in CO

2.  You'll know when you feel comfortable spending the extra money (and your wife will also) - when you

are ready, OPEN will still be waiting for you - no rush.

By S2 you talking a CZ Shadow 2 , yeh race that sucker. I went plastic fantastic XDM, cause it was cheap and fun , but just shooting pins, maybe an outlaw steel. No USPSA or IDPA in my area.