Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LImited Pistol options

Stafford

Looking for the right fit for me in a .40 competition pistol for Limited Major. I don’t reload so it needs to run factory ammo. I don’t want to tune, file, polish or gunsmith in any way - including mags. Would like to keep price at around $1,000 or under. 

Was considering a RIA Pro Match Ultra, but it seems that some will run factory and some don’t. Some require polishing and some don’t and mags can be an issue. Another recommendation was a Tangfolio Elite Limited. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for the right fit for me in a .40 competition pistol for Limited Major. I don’t reload so it needs to run factory ammo. I don’t want to tune, file, polish or gunsmith in any way - including mags. Would like to keep price at around $1,000 or under. 

Was considering a RIA Pro Match Ultra, but it seems that some will run factory and some don’t. Some require polishing and some don’t and mags can be an issue. Another recommendation was a Tangfolio Elite Limited. 
https://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-limited-custom-40-s-w/

https://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-elite-limited-40-s-w/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You can find a para / Remington, for about that money. The cz's like listed above are also a good choice. And the other option is to run a plastic gun. The plastic gun will be the most cost-effective more than likely, but but if you want steel You Want Steel. I went the plastic route and like it fine, but I don't now and will never put in the time to be a gm, so the theoretical couple of possible percent advantage of a real limited blaster is not an issue to me.

Good luck in your search 

20 minutes ago, RJH said:

You can find a para / Remington, for about that money. The cz's like listed above are also a good choice. And the other option is to run a plastic gun. The plastic gun will be the most cost-effective more than likely, but but if you want steel You Want Steel. I went the plastic route and like it fine, but I don't now and will never put in the time to be a gm, so the theoretical couple of possible percent advantage of a real limited blaster is not an issue to me.

Good luck in your search 

Interesting comments. I also will not put in the time. Perhaps I should just add a magwell and heavier guide rod to my Glock 22,  and call it a day?

I was thinking about this. Sig P320 in 40 are cheap, $349 at CDNN. Add a new tungsten grip for $299, Gray guns trigger kit, mags with base pads, you’ll have a heavy limited gun. I don’t consider the Gray trigger gunsmithing, but it will be worth the 1/2hr. effort. I’ve shot a Tanfo Limited worked over by Henning, and it’s a great gun for the money. Love the Tanfo grip. But it will benefit from gunsmithing. For your price range and requirements, your choices are few. 

Edited by OPENB

What are the differences between the Limited Custom, Elite Limited, and Stock 2?

Limited Elite & Custom are 4.75 inch barrel versus Stock 2 which is 4.5 inches. Also, Limited Custom has significant slide lightening which allows sights back on target fast. Gun is ready before you are ready for you next shot. I'd def spend $100-200 more and get the Limited Custom. Mags will be super affordable in this platform as well versus 2011s.

Stock II is a DA/SA, you can run it cocked & safey engaged for Limited division. Trigger will be creepier than a good SAO trigger, but a versatile gun for Ltd. & Production 40 minor. If you only shoot Lrd. I’d stick to the Elite or Custom. 

There is a really nice looking used Limited on Gunbroker now for $969. If I could still see iron sights, I’d be on that. 

Edited by OPENB

glock sounds like the ticket for you, maybe a 35 or your 22.  local kid with a glock, albeit with a carry optics/slide-mounted dot, spanks most if not all the open (ie 2011 with frame-mounted dots), pcc (also with a dot), carry optics and limited shooters.

Since you’re in the never ending search for the best gun, here’s what I’d do:

buy a barrel and Taylor Freelance sight block for your g22

buy enough mags and extensions

buy a good rig

buy a good trigger ($50-$300)

practice

give up on on finding the perfect gun for you right now, and practice some more. 

for sub $1k runs factory 40 and doesn't need to be tuned or gun smithed  I would have to say you just described a GLOCK 35 or 24, a XDM or  Sig 320 you really want a 40 cal service pistol of some sort,  all the Single Action options will either need some smithing or will bust your budget.

I’ll try my G22 again in a local match,  but I shoot M&P’s better. Could pick up a trade-in M&P 40 for $250 and build from there. Or start adding on to my G22. Simple, easy and cheaper.
An all steel frame will have an entirely different feel than as plastic fantastic. Ask some of the competitors away your local match and see if there's something that fits your hands properly

I'm also looking to pick up a gun for next year to shoot limited. I currently shot a G34 in CO. I've had atlas Titans, and a G24 and I've shot the tanfos a little.  I probably will not go back to to the G24. I thought about it but feel it's the least favorable for limted. IMO the 2011 is better in every way but you have to spend more and they require more work. I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. I don't want to tune/tinker and don't want to spend $3000+ on each gun. I've shot the tanfos a little and they seem like the best option when it comes to not going the 2011 route. 

Saying all that, I believe any gun/mags are going to require a little of attention/tuning from time to time.  

15 hours ago, HCH said:

Since you’re in the never ending search for the best gun, here’s what I’d do:

buy a barrel and Taylor Freelance sight block for your g22

buy enough mags and extensions

buy a good rig

buy a good trigger ($50-$300)

practice

give up on on finding the perfect gun for you right now, and practice some more. 

This is the advice I'd give.  The G22 can get very competitive and I think it's really nice to have a front sight that stays in the same focal plane. Especially when starting, the best $200 gadget is a case of ammo.

I tried this with a G22 RTF2 with gill cocking serrations, and frankly, it sucked. There is just no substitution for the weight and trigger of a 2011, Tanfo Limited, or CZ TS/TSO. If my budget was $1000, I’d go used Tanfo Limited over a FrankenGlock any day all day. 

If I were in your shoes I would take the g22 put a frame weight, big ass magwell, good sights, and a Johnny glock trigger. Slap some springer precision mag extensions on and you'll have a pretty good limited gun. DCPRECISIONLLC makes the heaviest frame weight I have seen at 10 oz. 

To all the Glock (and really other plastic gun too) knockers in this thread, don't forget that in 2018 (I think) Glock went 1 and 3 at limited Nats.  Sevegny also won limited and seems like a few L10 titles with glocks.  I know those were not stock glocks, but If the OP builds one, his can be pretty heavily modded for a grand, especially if buys used.  It will also probably work fine with  no or very little tuning.  

Edited by RJH

On 8/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, OPENB said:

Stock II is a DA/SA, you can run it cocked & safey engaged for Limited division. Trigger will be creepier than a good SAO trigger, but a versatile gun for Ltd. & Production 40 minor. If you only shoot Lrd. I’d stick to the Elite or Custom. 

There is a really nice looking used Limited on Gunbroker now for $969. If I could still see iron sights, I’d be on that. 

Not really accurate. The fire control parts inside the gun are the same, so amount of trigger creep would be the same between a DA/SA gun and an SAO variant.  

4 hours ago, RJH said:

To all the Glock (and really other plastic gun too) knockers in this thread, don't forget that in 2018 (I think) Glock went 1 and 3 at limited Nats.  Sevegny also won limited and seems like a few L10 titles with glocks.  I know those were not stock glocks, but If the OP builds one, his can be pretty heavily modded for a grand, especially if buys used.  It will also probably work fine with  no or very little tuning.  

You're not wrong. But you're also not right either. 🤣

Seriously, I'm a Glock fan. I shoot them well. I think they're very accurate. Though, money being no issue, I'd choose an awesome 2011 over a Glock every time. I know, in this case, money is an issue. Actually, it's an issue in almost every case. I only say that that because it makes the point that the Glock leaves a little to be desired when compared to the 2011.

It is hard to overcome the cost of the 2011's and  so the Glock isn't a bad choice. I do think I could shoot one and most likely would be just as competitive as I would be with a 2011.  Though, I'd still prefer the 2011. (except when I got to tune mags and buy anything).

I think @rowdyb said it best in his first post in this thread.  "Keep dreaming"

Edited by B_RAD

46 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The test isn't what amazing people can do with a platform but what regular people can do.

Correct, regular people are going to get beat with both, probably by about the exact percentage. 

Those amazing people had to beat other amazing people using 2011s, people seem to forget that when glocks winning Lim nats are brought up.  Those 2 were shooting against some of the other best shooters in the nation who did have the advantage (real or perceived) of 2011s

15 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

You're not wrong. But you're also not right either. 🤣

Seriously, I'm a Glock fan. I shoot them well. I think they're very accurate. Though, money being no issue, I'd choose an awesome 2011 over a Glock every time. I know, in this case, money is an issue. Actually, it's an issue in almost every case. I only say that that because it makes the point that the Glock leaves a little to be desired when compared to the 2011.

It is hard to overcome the cost of the 2011's and  so the Glock isn't a bad choice. I do think I could shoot one and most likely would be just as competitive as I would be with a 2011.  Though, I'd still prefer the 2011. (except when I got to tune mags and buy anything).

I took out the part i did disagree with so i could say, I don't disagree with any of this 🙂