Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LImited Pistol options

Stafford

20 minutes ago, RJH said:

I took out the part i did disagree with so i could say, I don't disagree with any of this 🙂

I was just referring to the part about not wanting to tweak/tune anything. 

Edited by B_RAD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from a performance stand point I truly believe any gun that reasonably fits you and has some form of better than a revolver trigger can hold 18 rounds re loadable in its mags functions close to 100% and is reasonably accurate will be just as competitive as any other. The BIG difference in my view is will you like it and want to play with it as much? yes a G22 can win nationals but will you love it like you would a Atlas or Akai or Limcat or SV? probably not. I like and shoot GLOCKs well but I am working on a Caspian framed Baer limited gun trying to get to 100% function because its cool not because its going to score more match points.   

On 8/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, Stafford said:

I’ll try my G22 again in a local match,  but I shoot M&P’s better. Could pick up a trade-in M&P 40 for $250 and build from there. Or start adding on to my G22. Simple, easy and cheaper.

I've seen you post in a few threads now how you're not really fond of your Glocks.  In that case I wouldn't try to force yourself to stick with them just because you already own them, and I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at modifying one of them.  You can put all the fancy aftermarket parts on a Glock you want, but at the end of the day it's still a Glock; if you don't like Glocks now you probably still won't love it after throwing a few hundred in mods on it.

I'd just shoot what you have for a few months (either your Glocks or M&P).  While at matches take a look at what others are shooting and ask if you can try them (most people would be happy to let you put a few rounds through their guns).  Then you can make a better decision on what you want to get.  And if you want that cheap M&P you could sell your G22 for more than $250 so would come out ahead there.

I shoot a cz TS that I got on sale new for 900, but you wont find a deal like that again. I've shot Glocks and full custom 2011s, and the glocks can be good enough. For under 1000, the best I've shot by far is a buddy's p320 with an upgrade trigger and the heavy grip. It does everything well, and the trigger is almost as nice as my TS. The p320 in that configuration points nicely, and is well balanced. It will do everything the best 2011s do, but without the price or sexiness. For your budget, I thinks it's the objective best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, J_Allen said:

Just go to the classifieds and look for the G22L that DK Customs has for sale. Great set-up that I believe would satisfy your requirements.

Not seeing it, but then again, it was the first time I’ve tried to navigate the classifieds on this forum. Can someone point me toward or provide the link?

11 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I shoot a cz TS that I got on sale new for 900, but you wont find a deal like that again. I've shot Glocks and full custom 2011s, and the glocks can be good enough. For under 1000, the best I've shot by far is a buddy's p320 with an upgrade trigger and the heavy grip. It does everything well, and the trigger is almost as nice as my TS. The p320 in that configuration points nicely, and is well balanced. It will do everything the best 2011s do, but without the price or sexiness. For your budget, I thinks it's the objective best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did he have a 40 or a 9? Curious what capacity he could get in the 40 mags with aftermarket base pads. 

Here's where I'm leaning right now. Use my current Glock 22. First add-ons will be a SJC Heavy Weight Mag Well and Vogel Dynamics Fiber Optic Sights. I recently purchased a pair of ETS 19 round 140mm mags. If these run fine at the range this weekend and in a match next week, then I won't worry about baseplates for a while. 

Later add-ons would include a frame weight, heavier guide rod and trigger upgrade, though not necessarily in that order. I will probably get a competition belt, holster and pouches before the second round of add-ons. Currently running a belt holster and clip on two mag pouch.

Into the future, I might consider a longer barrel and sight block.

Edited by Stafford

31 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Here's where I'm leaning right now. Use my current Glock 22. First add-ons will be a SJC Heavy Weight Mag Well and Vogel Dynamics Fiber Optic Sights. I recently purchased a pair of ETS 19 round 140mm mags. If these run fine at the range this weekend and in a match next week, then I won't worry about baseplates for a while. 

Later add-ons would include a frame weight, heavier guide rod and trigger upgrade, though not necessarily in that order. I will probably get a competition belt, holster and pouches before the second round of add-ons. Currently running a belt holster and clip on two mag pouch.

Into the future, I might consider a longer barrel and sight block.

Put the belt with a good drop hanger and holster body as far up your list as you can. I’d invest in that before I slapped a magwell on the gun, personally.

Get mags with the correct capacity, and good sights. Those are mandatory.

Then a belt rig.

Then the magwell and frame weight.

I don’t know what people are doing for recoil springs in Major .40 glocks, but if you are loading your own ammo a recoil spring and guide rod that plays well with your ammo will do as much to flatten out the gun as adding weights will.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Put the belt with a good drop hanger and holster body as far up your list as you can. I’d invest in that before I slapped a magwell on the gun, personally.

Get mags with the correct capacity, and good sights. Those are mandatory.

Then a belt rig.

Then the magwell and frame weight.

I don’t know what people are doing for recoil springs in Major .40 glocks, but if you are loading your own ammo a recoil spring and guide rod that plays well with your ammo will do as much to flatten out the gun as adding weights will.

The only change I might make to this is get the weight and holster at the same time. No need in buying a holster, then getting a weight and needing a new holster. I'd go flashlight full of lead for a weight. Cheaper, heavier and probably easier to find holsters for.

NEVER discount Glock. I watched Bob Vogel give a class once with his Glock to a bunch of LEO guys and he ran that gun like any custom 2011. Its the man behind the gun long before the gun needs to keep up with the man. Ergonomics, round capacity, trigger, accessories and its ability to go right out of the box makes Glock a huge contender. And for the record, I've owned high dollar 2011's and nice 1911's and still would give the nod to a Glock for starting out.

4 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Red hill makes glock holsters for frame weights. Simple. Done.

+1 on belt, pouches, BOSS hanger as mandatory items as soon as you have ammo and decent sights

Looked at Red Hill, but didn’t see a Glock holster  for frame weights. But, I may not have identified the terminology used. 

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Will it work with Glock 22?

I'd still go flashlight in fact I did. I have a lead filled flashlight that adds about 8 oz to my gun vs a SJC weight that is about 6 oz. You can buy a used light, it doesn't need to work. Holsters are fairly easy to find. I run a Red Hill holster.