Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Hunter's HD Gold Style

limitedgun

I currently have the Gauge with my prescription high center for shooting Limited. I am going to buy a second pair for shooting with optics, but can't decide what style I want. What is a favorite style of Hunter's HD Gold and why? I like the look of the new Velocity, but have not got to see them in person yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process right now of ordering a pair.  I went with the velocity with prescription lenses.  The caliber seemed to have too much of the frame visible while wearing them...kind of bothered me. 

They are the best.. I have Velocity's in both regular and prescription. But, I always loved the fit of my RayBan Predator 2's. Brian will do custom frames. I sent him 2 frames and he put their lens in.

IMG_20190913_141313.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine and just am completing a full season. Not sure which model but the optics are soo good sometimes I forget to take them off. The customer service is the best I have ever seen and while I did not have to have any after the sale help, I am sure they would be there. Hell they didn’t even take my CC until I had a chance to shoot with them and then since it was two months before match season they told me if anything came up once my season started they would still do whatever was needed to make it right. I am far from rich but I don’t think that $369 for bifocal no line sports glass is all that bad. I spent twice for my Rudy’s and they had to put an insert in. Have shot day and into the evening and they work very well in all settings. Finally Brian was great to work with. Win all over

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I received my Hunters RX Velocity glasses last week and had the chance to put them through a few practice sessions.  Pretty much amazing, I had been shooting with contacts and a pair of Oakley's.  They worked fine most of the time, however it always seemed like my contacts would dry out and get blurry on me during a match so I decided to go the RX glasses route.  Hunters customer service can't be beat.  I had these things made, and wore them for a week or so before dropping a penny!

None of the above. Thanks but no thanks. The lenses are great but the frames look awful. IF he gets a pair one day like the Oakley Tombstones he would sell them like hotcakes. I mentioned this to him once and Brian said "everyone says that but we aren't interested in making those right now." 

5 hours ago, lacivilian said:

None of the above. Thanks but no thanks. The lenses are great but the frames look awful. IF he gets a pair one day like the Oakley Tombstones he would sell them like hotcakes. I mentioned this to him once and Brian said "everyone says that but we aren't interested in making those right now." 

I just sent them my pair of Rudy Magsters.  He's going to see about making lenses to fit. 

5 hours ago, clw42 said:

I just sent them my pair of Rudy Magsters.  He's going to see about making lenses to fit. 

Let me know if he’s successful. I would get a set of lenses. 

On 10/2/2019 at 6:32 PM, lacivilian said:

They do.  I got a hold of the last squad pic and yikes.  But then I've got the wide brimmed old man hat, tight shirt, white arm sleeves and hunter's gold glasses.  I probably would have cared how I looked when I was 20 but now I'd rather not get sunburned and see what I'm shooting at.  Coolness be dammed!!

That being said I don't think I'll be rocking pink knee high socks with matching shirt anytime soon (Hi Luigi.... 😂)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, UFO said:

They are the best.. I have Velocity's in both regular and prescription. But, I always loved the fit of my RayBan Predator 2's. Brian will do custom frames. I sent him 2 frames and he put their lens in.

IMG_20190913_141313.jpg

That's awesome. How much did he charge to fit lenses?

I received my Rudy Project Magsters back with the Hunters Lenses.  These are non prescription, just using the Magster frames.   Not inexpensive.  I won't post what I paid, because I believe they're done on a case by case, but I will say it was less than if I bought a pair of their glasses.  They look great and seem excellent.  I just got them yesterday so I haven't worn them in a match yet.  This weekend will be the test.

HD Gold.JPG

11 hours ago, clw42 said:

I received my Rudy Project Magsters back with the Hunters Lenses.  These are non prescription, just using the Magster frames.   Not inexpensive.  I won't post what I paid, because I believe they're done on a case by case, but I will say it was less than if I bought a pair of their glasses.  They look great and seem excellent.  I just got them yesterday so I haven't worn them in a match yet.  This weekend will be the test.

HD Gold.JPG

Report back when you shoot your match!

Shot two matches this weekend with the new lenses.  I have to say, I was impressed.  The lenses become almost an amber color being in direct sunlight all day, but the light level when looking through the lenses remains constant.  I was skeptical (as I am with most things), but they were excellent.  Dot on my open gun was easy to pick up, contrast was great, though some colors are definitely different.  Green for example looks more like a bluish teal.  It was odd, but didn't matter.

4 hours ago, mveto said:

I am really thinking of picking up a pair of the gauges, everyone who’ve I’ve spoken with regarding the hd golds really likes them. I just need to get over the $300 price tag.

I just picked up a set of Gauges and shot a match with them this weekend. They are very comfortable, and the lenses are amazing. Our day started with mist and fog, and ended with bright sun turning to shadows on some of the targets. The contrast made targets and my dot easy to pick up.  Brian is awesome to deal with too.