Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato P for Police

geraldskip

1 hour ago, geraldskip said:

That same argument can be used against the guns for duty use.

I've seen officers trying to qualify fail to turn their safety off. I've also seen very good shooters (that actually compete) fail to disengage their grip safety.

Sure it's nice to say the suspect would be unable to figure out how the gun works, but what if the cop can't either? 

Agreed.  When folks mix carrying/using the 1911/2011 operating system with Glocks, etc, they are asking for trouble because muscle memory may think it is drawing and firing a  Glock when in fact the weapon is a 1911.  My advice is that if you are going to carry a 2011/1911 on duty,  don't even pick up a weapon with a different system.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Greenrunner said:

Agreed.  When folks mix carrying/using the 1911/2011 operating system with Glocks, etc, they are asking for trouble because muscle memory may think it is drawing and firing a  Glock when in fact the weapon is a 1911.  My advice is that if you are going to carry a 2011/1911 on duty,  don't even pick up a weapon with a different system.

I guess if you never practice that might be true, but anyone that competes on a regular basis isn't going to have any problems.

2 hours ago, mwc said:

I guess if you never practice that might be true, but anyone that competes on a regular basis isn't going to have any problems.

Even people who compete regularly will fumble the grip safety at some point. That’s why everyone disengages them. 

Like I said earlier, a buddy who competes regularly, has carried a 1911 for years at work, has carried a 2011 at work, and is a SWAT Team Leader, fumbled his draw on a “retention shot” at a local match because of his gun’s grip safety

It made him a little leery of carrying his 1911s again. He is using his glock 17 at work now. 

I have mine so desensitized you can almost breath on it to disengage it, a file and 15-20 minutes is all it takes.

10 hours ago, geraldskip said:

Even people who compete regularly will fumble the grip safety at some point. That’s why everyone disengages them. 

Like I said earlier, a buddy who competes regularly, has carried a 1911 for years at work, has carried a 2011 at work, and is a SWAT Team Leader, fumbled his draw on a “retention shot” at a local match because of his gun’s grip safety

It made him a little leery of carrying his 1911s again. He is using his glock 17 at work now. 

My STI Eagle is reliable, but I would not want to wear it all day.  Maybe with the funnel removed. 

Mostly, I am surprised at so many agencies allowing pistols that are carried COCKED!

I think the local department allows SA autos for those who can qualify at the instructor or SWAT level, not the hoi polloi.

I'm retired now, but at one point I did carry an Infinity 2011 in 45acp.  Shot well & reliable.  I just couldn't handle the weight of the 45acp loaded magazines (2 on belt & 1 in the gun). Plus add in all the required equipment (radio, cuffs & etc).  The only area where I could cut back in weight was the gun/magazines.  I went back to a steel Single Stack.  I then promoted (to a desk job) and carried a Colt Lt Wt Commander.  

18 hours ago, Bruce said:

Answer:  Disengage grip safety.  Better answer:  Buy carry gun built with Cheely metal grip:)   

I doubt they would let us change the safeties. Gotta remember that most police agencies require you to keep the gun stock. They allow you to change cosmetic items, but that is it (sights, 1911 grips, etc). Nothing that is a functional part of the gun can be changed from factory settings. 

5 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Mostly, I am surprised at so many agencies allowing pistols that are carried COCKED!

Why not? SA guns are useless unless cocked. That is the proper way to carry a SA pistol and is no more dangerous than any other. You do realize a Glock is also carried "cocked?" You just can't see because it is an internal striker versus an external hammer. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Image.

You said it, a Glock's partial and a Smith's 95% aren't visible. 

Yes, it is image. Those of us that carry 1911/2011s still once in awhile get the random citizen pointing out that the hammer is back on our gun. My usual response is "It wouldn't work if it wasn't."

Years ago we stopped a car load of gangbangers.  While sitting on the sidewalk one asked me what type of gun I had and I replied it was a 1911.  He asked how many rounds it held and I said a total of nine.  He then noticed my partner's Glock 17 and he knew it held a lot more and asked why I didn't carry one of "them".  I told him you haven't seen my partner shoot.....he needs all them rounds!  They couldn't stop laughing.  My partner didn't think it was all that funny.  

On 7/15/2019 at 9:35 AM, Dutchman195 said:

I've seen a lot on Insta about LAPD Swat from STI. My question is this, Does the Department pay for the guns? I seem to have a hard time believing that your run of the mill officer will fork over their personal money for a 2011 when they can buy a glock for 400 bucks. From my experience most cops aren't shooters or gun guys. Now I could see if the Dept gives the option and you wanna spend your own money, ya maybe a 2011 is for you. But still I would rather lean towards to glock than a 2011. 

You can see in STIs new marketing that it would appears lots of Mil/Vets are employees and they are pushing for Mil/Leo stuff. Like discontinuing the 1911s, cops dont carry those so why sell them. 

I will say this about that, I clean my competition STIs religiously or they start to not work well. Ive also never rolled around in the dirt/mud/sand with them. I guess a 4k gun I dont want to get dirty, the glock I dont care about. Morale of the story, If I clean my duty STI every 2 weeks whether it got shot or not, I guess it'd be a functioning reliable gun. If STI put out a torture video and I guess I'll be convinced. 

Just my experience, not a LEO. Just an STI enthusiast. Also FWIW, when I buy a STI, barrel slide and frame stay, everything else gets replaced, right out of the factory.  After my DVC Classic blew up on my twice as a out of the box factory gun. 

I thought LAPD Swat carried Kimber TLE?  I haven’t carried a 1911/2011 on duty, but would if they were allowed. Any idea the difference between the Lawman and Staccato? 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:04 AM, pm07 said:

I carried a personal 1911 for years on patrol and currently own my 2nd STI. My Chief just bought a S/A 9mm 1911 to carry on duty. While I can and will get my STI approved for duty, I doubt I will carry it. Its been fine reliability and accuracy wise but I only have about 1000 rounds on this one. First thing I do with new pistol is 500 rounds, usually 400 practice and 100 duty .  At my previous agency , I was responsible for all maintenance, repair and up keeping on my 1911 which wasn't a huge problem since I had been to the 1911 Armorers course.  My current issue duty gun is a G19 with RMR, comp and X300U. Seeing department issued/approved 1911/2011s in my geographic area is very rare, like unicorn rare. Most agencies can't or  don't want to deal with the associated costs and issues of maintaining a 1911/2011 vs. Glock. Especially if they are having problems with the 1911/2011s that they purchased. Holster issues not with standing.  I saw where Buck stated that USMS SOG as well as some other agencies are getting STI pistols. But from what I saw these were specialty units from larger agencies that can support the platform. I'm not against it. I'd love to try a P with a RMR on it.

Holster wise, be awarwe that Safariland T series, like Ranger Trace's, have been reported to collapse during training if they get rolled on.

https://store.otdefense.com/pages/safariland-7ts-holster-review-and-torture-test

I love this guy's nub mod for the ALS button.  This test is kinda long, but somewhat entertaining......

Sorry, should have been specific. The 7T series has collapsed during combative classes when the empty holster was rolled on. Collapsed the holster which prevented reholstering. Its happened in a couple of different classes.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, jrbet83 said:

And how many are bone stock, running stock mags with stock ammo? We’re talking about LEO firearms in this discussion. Most departments are required to run their firearms in stock configuration; one for liability reasons but also because they don’t have anyone with the ability to truly work them over. That’s why I said pretty clearly “maybe custom or tuned 2011”.

I’d never carry a 2011 by choice as my duty gun, mainly because of the weight and bulk. Having said that, I’d trust my custom 6” Limited gun with 1.180 ammo, my clean tuned STI mags with gram followers any day over my current duty weapon (even though it hasn’t given me issues yet). But a bone stock STI, with stock feed lip STI mags, and stock OAL ammo? There’s quite a few other more user friendly, reliable, easier to maintain firearms that I’d rather have. 

The same can be said about Glocks, or SIGs or M&P's used in competition.  Very few competitors are running ANY gun in stock configuration.

Edited by MedicAJ

1 hour ago, MedicAJ said:

The same can be said about Glocks, or SIGs or M&P's used in competition.  Very few competitors are running ANY gun in stock configuration.

Comprehension is key

For those needing a duty holster for  STI HOST/DUO w/ X300U.

It is being reported that the Safariland 6360RDS-8192-131 for the S&W Core 9L w/X300U will work for the STI P DUO/HOST.

Buck posted on IG and the Officer that has it confirmed fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Staccato-P grip the same standard size 2011 grip?  Will it fit the Vario X-Line triggers?  Was able to place an order at a great price for a Staccato-P DUO and 10 mags and really like the Vario trigger in my competition gun.  

I thought gambling was only allowed in Las Vegas
from the last  new STI that i opened i can understand that it can be very reliable only if they will  start make revolvers.[emoji6]
Actually STI did try making a SAA clone and it was a huge fail. It was gorgeous though, 45 Colt case hardened by Turnbull.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2019 at 11:50 AM, Robertwil18 said:

Is the Staccato-P grip the same standard size 2011 grip?  Will it fit the Vario X-Line triggers?  Was able to place an order at a great price for a Staccato-P DUO and 10 mags and really like the Vario trigger in my competition gun.  

Yes same grip. Yes to Vario's but may need fitting.