Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato P for Police

geraldskip

33 minutes ago, Moloch38 said:

Or the Cop does....like the one who recently couldn't unload my DVC-C because it had the safety on. Got awkward quick when I had to show him how...

Why is an LEO handling your gun?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

Or the Cop does....like the one who recently couldn't unload my DVC-C because it had the safety on. Got awkward quick when I had to show him how...

No doubt there are plenty of cops, heck maybe the majority of them that are not familiar with the workings of a 1911.  I didn't own one until I made ranger.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had an odd "issue" with my Staccato P DUO this evening.  I installed a Vario X-Line, short flat, trigger tonight, and upon reassembly, I noticed the installation of this trigger has resulted in a bypass of the grip safety.  I detail stripped it, cleaned it once more and reinstalled everything, and it has the same issue.  Function check confirms the grip safety is disengaged, but the manual safety remains fully functional.  It is otherwise a very smooth and crisp trigger pull, but I have never encountered an issue such as this.  The pre travel is significantly shorter with almost zero overtravel and approximately a 3lb trigger pull.    It is not a huge issue for me as the manual safety would be engaged during carry anyway, but curious as to what could cause this issue.  Any ideas?  

The bit that sticks out of the grip safety towards the trigger bar usually stops the trigger bar moving rearward. I bet yours has no contact now. 

You should be able to see the contact or lack of with the slide off looking into the magwell towards the back of the gun and pressing the trigger and grip safety and seeing how they work together. 

I understand that STI is announcing its new line next week. Anyone spot a Glock 19 sized one in the wild?

Pretty sure I would be a buyer even tho I know better than to purchase a just released gun.

I know they are bringing back a “carry grip” model. I haven’t heard the length yet. I’m assuming it’s their standard 120mm. The grip is a new design that will actually accept a magwell. This is a turn from their old 120mm carry grip that was a cut down standard grip. Personally I’d prefer to see a 113mm grip for carry like the SVI offering. 

By the way, the the 120mm grip is longer than a G19. 

6A215043-6847-41DF-93D2-E2BEDDED6679.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my 4.15 Staccato P Duo and really like it, except the recoil master makes the recoil seem to stutter a bit. I found it odd. 

I ordered a Dawson tool less guide rod for it with some new springs and am anxiously waiting for it to complete the set up. 

I also found that the “tactical/carry” magwell is practically useless. There’s no increase in lateral insertion so it didn’t help any of my reloads and actually slowed them down sometimes cause the mag would get caught in the lip. 

Quality wise, I was really impressed with it. Everything seems very tight and well fit. I had no issues with the thumb safety and beaver tail biting me like I have had with past STI’s and I really really like it. 

I’m also disappointed that they went with the Deltapoint Pro but I can understand why. The RMR cut would have been better but that’s personal opinion. 

I shot my best B8 at 25 yards ever though with it. 2 inch group at 25 yards with everything in the X except for 2 in the 10 ring. That’s with a 4.5 pound trigger. 

One thing I like is that they appeared to have stroked the commander guns. It has the same slide movement as my 5 in 2011. It shoots very soft and I like it a lot.

Just needs a new recoil spring set up, new magwell, and maybe a flat trigger further down the line. 

I cross posted this in the 2020 Staccato Post, but figured I’d update here too. 

GS I bought the Dawson tool-less GR before I received my P Duo so I can't compare how it shot w/ the standard GR but mine runs smoothly w/ it installed.

Re. the standard magwell that came on our P Duos, isn't there another grip module available from STI that has a smaller diameter magwell?

Edited by OldRunner

On 12/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, geraldskip said:

I just got my 4.15 Staccato P Duo and really like it, except the recoil master makes the recoil seem to stutter a bit. I found it odd. 

I ordered a Dawson tool less guide rod for it with some new springs and am anxiously waiting for it to complete the set up. 

I also found that the “tactical/carry” magwell is practically useless. There’s no increase in lateral insertion so it didn’t help any of my reloads and actually slowed them down sometimes cause the mag would get caught in the lip. 

Quality wise, I was really impressed with it. Everything seems very tight and well fit. I had no issues with the thumb safety and beaver tail biting me like I have had with past STI’s and I really really like it. 

I’m also disappointed that they went with the Deltapoint Pro but I can understand why. The RMR cut would have been better but that’s personal opinion. 

I shot my best B8 at 25 yards ever though with it. 2 inch group at 25 yards with everything in the X except for 2 in the 10 ring. That’s with a 4.5 pound trigger. 

One thing I like is that they appeared to have stroked the commander guns. It has the same slide movement as my 5 in 2011. It shoots very soft and I like it a lot.

Just needs a new recoil spring set up, new magwell, and maybe a flat trigger further down the line. 

I cross posted this in the 2020 Staccato Post, but figured I’d update here too. 

We went with the dpp cut for a few reasons...one it has the tallest base and therefore Has to sit the lowest in the gun in order to co-witness back up sights that arent ridiculously tall.  Two, it was required for two contracts, the USMS SOG, and another mil unit as they run the dpp.  Three, you cannot direct mount an rmr on a 1911/2011 slide as the bolt pattern on the rmr is too wide for the slide.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, OldRunner said:

GS I bought the Dawson tool-less GR before I received my P Duo so I can't compare how it shot w/ the standard GR but mine runs smoothly w/ it installed.

Re. the standard magwell that came on our P Duos, isn't there another grip module available from STI that has a smaller diameter magwell?

The magwells are not part of the grip modules, they are attached to the grip module with the mainspring pin.  You can run any aftermarket magwell you like.  The previous tactical slim magwell doesnt line up well with the magwell portion of the g2 grip, and have we have therefore been testing some prototype magwells from Dave Dawson for the future.

Edited by Buck8154