Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato P for Police

geraldskip

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not read every post on this thread, but if you are a Police Officer (which I was for 40 years) and

lucky enough to carry a pistol of your choice then make sure you are carrying what you shoot best,

regardless of what it is.  Please don't let someone influence your decision because in their mind

one gun is better than another.  Everyone that is still on the job; Be Safe.......

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, dthomas1003 said:

Why not? SA guns are useless unless cocked. That is the proper way to carry a SA pistol and is no more dangerous than any other. You do realize a Glock is also carried "cocked?" You just can't see because it is an internal striker versus an external hammer. 

Glocks are not " cocked " when carried.The trigger bar , when trigger is squeezed " , moves the striker rearward ( ie: cocking ) , then releases the striker to the primer.

29 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

I got a Staccato P Duo on order from their Sales Rep. Supposedly STI is 2-3 months out for orders, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it gets here sooner. I'll update with more if/when it does.

Same sit. here, also ordered 6 additional 17rd. mags for game play & in the meantime trying to decide if I'll pick up a 2nd SRO (5.0 perhaps) or one of the *ruggedized* DPPs.

• 3 weeks later...

Being a retired Cop, my biggest problem with Cops carrying a Cocked & Locked pistol is safety.  When I first started

my career we all shot Revolvers, then as time went by we progressed to semi-autos.  However, very few Police Dept's

allow their Officers to carry single action pistols.  Patrol Officers are better off with a Striker Fired pistol because of

safety.  It's really easy to set off a single action pistol by accident.  Yes, they are great guns and I shoot Single Stack

in USPSA and love it, but for Cops in general, not a big fan........

40 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Being a retired Cop, my biggest problem with Cops carrying a Cocked & Locked pistol is safety.  When I first started

my career we all shot Revolvers, then as time went by we progressed to semi-autos.  However, very few Police Dept's

allow their Officers to carry single action pistols.  Patrol Officers are better off with a Striker Fired pistol because of

safety.  It's really easy to set off a single action pistol by accident.  Yes, they are great guns and I shoot Single Stack

Well, I will give you another perspective.  Cop gets his gun taken away from him, all the bad guy has to do is pull the trigger on most striker fired pistols.  With a 1911, he has to be familiar enough with the platform to know how to deactivate the thumb safety. 

9 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Well, I will give you another perspective.  Cop gets his gun taken away from him, all the bad guy has to do is pull the trigger on most striker fired pistols.  With a 1911, he has to be familiar enough with the platform to know how to deactivate the thumb safety. 

True, but I still liked the Striker Fired Pistols for Patrol Officers.......

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

I can see your point, but I think any officer with their finger on any trigger can panic and shoot someone on accident. It's been documented with striker guns plenty.

Fingers don't go on triggers until it's time to shoot. I personally think that's a training thing. I do agree that a higher level of manipulation and control is required for someone to use the 1911 platform as their duty gun, but I don't think the trigger issue is as big a deal as some people think it is.

After 40 years in Law Enforcement and 3 decades of being a Range Master I see your point

and lets just say we agree to disagree.  Training is good, but you cannot duplicate the tension

and pressure on the range that you have searching for an armed suspect or searching a building

for a burglar, etc.  I would never suggest that your finger should be on the trigger before you are

ready to shoot.  It's a personal thing for me and I see your point.......

8 minutes ago, paherne said:

Picked my Staccato P Duo up yesterday.  Going to take it to the range tomorrow and run about 500 rounds through it.  Waiting on a duty holster, mags, and mag pouch order before I even think about carrying it on duty, plus a qual.  I should have 1k rounds through it by next Friday.  We'll see if this sucker works as advertised.

Looking forward to your feedback Pat, are you mounting a dot on this initially, if so which as I 'prolly have another 8 weeks+ before my P DUO is finished & I mount an SRO on it.

Old Runner,

I will eventually mount a red dot on it, but based on other officer's experiences with both DeltaPoint Pros and Trijicon RMR 06s, I think this will be the least reliable part of the system.  I'm not in a hurry to carry this thing on duty because I've been carrying a Glock for 5 years and need more work on the 1911 system before I feel competent and willing to bet my life on it.  I'l probably take a couple of months, at least 2k rounds, and a bunch of dry fire, holster presentations, and practicing picking up the red dot instead of the sights I've been used to for the last 27 years.  I bought this because at 50, my vision just ain't what it used to be and a red dot makes sense.  I'm not a fan of the Glock MOS system, and sending a G17 slide away for milling and new sights means you wind up with a $2k Glock.  If I'm going to drop 2K, I'd like it to be on a pistol like the Staccato P.  Duty holsters are an issue I'm working through, and I'll post my solution when I nail it down.  I need a black, basketweave with at least level one retention.  I've been swapping emails with Long's Shadow and will probably order next week.

Any stats on negligent discharges on striker versus single action?  Not police, but understand that you cannot simulate stress of combat/real life.  Training makes for brain stem power, eventually; aware of how little a majority of police officers train with weapons as well.

Paherne,

Can't help myself, I looked up Police Duty Holsters and wow have they changed since I retired in late 2011.

Especially since the intro of Optic Sights into LE.  I looked at both Safariland and Blackhawk, we mainly

used Safariland.  Some crazy looking holsters out there.  You mentioned Long Shadow and I looked them

up and liked what I saw.  The Crestone L2 looks like a good choice for Optics Carry, etc.  Good luck with

your choice and I really like your approach to carrying a different platform than you are accustomed to. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, Sparky said:

Cops, from lowly patrol to SWAT have been carrying cocked and locked 1911's for years and years. There are no safety issues with someone who has the proper training and trigger time on one. In fact it's probably more inherently safe due to the external safety. Its just as easy if not easier to set off a striker fired pistol by accident.

There are a lot of agencies that authorize /issue 1911's for duty use. While it may not have been prevalent in your area, it is in some. From West Coast to East coast. I carried a 1911 as a patrol officer for several years. Went to Glocks due to wanting to carry what my other officers carry magazine /ammo wise. My current  department authorizes 1911's, in fact my Chief carries one. I just qualified with my STI and got it approved for duty use.

The "issues" with a 1911/2011 as a duty gun are mainly officer commitment, logistics and cost from my point of view. Yes it is a little more work to master. But that is a individual officer issue. A Officer dedicated to their craft and carrying one will take the time to master their weapons, whether it be a Glock , Sig , Beretta or 1911/2011. When I attended my State Firearms Instructor Class, one of the instructors stood behind me on the line for the first hour of drills, until he saw I was extremely competent with my 1911 and went somewhere else on the line. Not all officers are dedicated to dry firing, training, etc to maintain their essential skills. Those guys wont be interested in carrying a 1911/2011.

An Agency has to maintained certified armorers for the 1911/2011 system, which really isn't that hard or different from maintaining Glock certified armorers. Cost is what I consider the biggest factor. Chiefs used to seeing $300 glocks blanche upon seeing the price tag for a good duty grade 1911/2011.  Finding a out of the box duty grade 1911 that's not a full custom house build right now is the bigger issue. For a time the big complaint was changing the recoil spring every 5000 rounds. Sprinco springs are going like 30,000 cycles between changes. Also, depending on the locale/region, it could be 2 years before the agency or Officer gets their pistol back after a OIS.

Safariland has been producing duty grade holsters, level 1-3 for several years for 1911/2011 pistols.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, paherne said:

Old Runner,

I will eventually mount a red dot on it, but based on other officer's experiences with both DeltaPoint Pros and Trijicon RMR 06s, I think this will be the least reliable part of the system.  I'm not in a hurry to carry this thing on duty because I've been carrying a Glock for 5 years and need more work on the 1911 system before I feel competent and willing to bet my life on it.  I'l probably take a couple of months, at least 2k rounds, and a bunch of dry fire, holster presentations, and practicing picking up the red dot instead of the sights I've been used to for the last 27 years.  I bought this because at 50, my vision just ain't what it used to be and a red dot makes sense.  I'm not a fan of the Glock MOS system, and sending a G17 slide away for milling and new sights means you wind up with a $2k Glock.  If I'm going to drop 2K, I'd like it to be on a pistol like the Staccato P.  Duty holsters are an issue I'm working through, and I'll post my solution when I nail it down.  I need a black, basketweave with at least level one retention.  I've been swapping emails with Long's Shadow and will probably order next week.

@paherne

If you are needing a duty holster solution for a Staccato P DUO, the Safariland 6360RDS, specifically Safariland 6360RDS-8192-481,  for the S&W MP CORE with X300U will work . The 481 designator  is for right hand basketweave holster.

17 hours ago, pm07 said:

Cops, from lowly patrol to SWAT have been carrying cocked and locked 1911's for years and years. There are no safety issues with someone who has the proper training and trigger time on one. In fact it's probably more inherently safe due to the external safety. Its just as easy if not easier to set off a striker fired pistol by accident.

There are a lot of agencies that authorize /issue 1911's for duty use. While it may not have been prevalent in your area, it is in some. From West Coast to East coast. I carried a 1911 as a patrol officer for several years. Went to Glocks due to wanting to carry what my other officers carry magazine /ammo wise. My current  department authorizes 1911's, in fact my Chief carries one. I just qualified with my STI and got it approved for duty use.

The "issues" with a 1911/2011 as a duty gun are mainly officer commitment, logistics and cost from my point of view. Yes it is a little more work to master. But that is a individual officer issue. A Officer dedicated to their craft and carrying one will take the time to master their weapons, whether it be a Glock , Sig , Beretta or 1911/2011. When I attended my State Firearms Instructor Class, one of the instructors stood behind me on the line for the first hour of drills, until he saw I was extremely competent with my 1911 and went somewhere else on the line. Not all officers are dedicated to dry firing, training, etc to maintain their essential skills. Those guys wont be interested in carrying a 1911/2011.

An Agency has to maintained certified armorers for the 1911/2011 system, which really isn't that hard or different from maintaining Glock certified armorers. Cost is what I consider the biggest factor. Chiefs used to seeing $300 glocks blanche upon seeing the price tag for a good duty grade 1911/2011.  Finding a out of the box duty grade 1911 that's not a full custom house build right now is the bigger issue. For a time the big complaint was changing the recoil spring every 5000 rounds. Sprinco springs are going like 30,000 cycles between changes. Also, depending on the locale/region, it could be 2 years before the agency or Officer gets their pistol back after a OIS.

Safariland has been producing duty grade holsters, level 1-3 for several years for 1911/2011 pistols.

Wow, we are going to have to "agree to disagree".......Be Safe Brother! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, OldRunner said:

Looking forward to your feedback Pat, are you mounting a dot on this initially, if so which as I 'prolly have another 8 weeks+ before my P DUO is finished & I mount an SRO on it.

Not sure what your intentions are with the pistol, but if its for duty type use I would not use an SRO. 

2 hours ago, usmcmp said:

Not sure what your intentions are with the pistol, but if its for duty type use I would not use an SRO. 

IMO the only duty rated PMO thus far is the RMR & I’m now going w/ a DPP on my Staccato as it doesn’t require a plate.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, RangerTrace said:

Well, I will give you another perspective.  Cop gets his gun taken away from him, all the bad guy has to do is pull the trigger on most striker fired pistols.  With a 1911, he has to be familiar enough with the platform to know how to deactivate the thumb safety

Or the Cop does....like the one who recently couldn't unload my DVC-C because it had the safety on. Got awkward quick when I had to show him how...