Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Delayed Blowback Recoil System

22 hours ago, sweatpants said:

I shot Area 4 over the weekend and the buffer performed without any catastrophic issues.  However, I did bump fire a number of times on different stages and because of the increased cyclic rate I turned a few heads.  In general I don't want to send any more shots than the ones I really wanted to send so I may go back to the 3-stage buffer with marginally worse dot performance.

Just out of curiosity, what trigger are you using. I just got my buffer in, going to test it out this week.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I got my build together and started dialing it in...

When I was just doing function tests and sighting it in, I wasn't terribly impressed but was trying to consciously remind myself that snappier, faster recoiled doesn't necessarily mean more recoil.  It definitely feels different and cycles much faster.

Then I took it to a bay and started running drills... Damn, it's fast and flat. Compared to a Blitzkrieg with a short stroke kit, it doesn't *feel* as good, but seems to perform better. I've got a high round count 3-Gun-ish match tomorrow to for a shake down and will have another USPSA match next weekend.  That'll make me feel better about taking to it the New Mexico Sectional. 

Short version? I'm impressed so far. 

I got my delayed buffer in. Took the weight out of my Taccom BCG, screwed my buffer tube in a few turns, dropped in (2) quarters, then put the put the delayed buffer in. Cycles pretty good, double-taps felt solid, it just felt more harsh than the Taccom 3-stage buffer that I am using. No bumpfires with my Hiperfire Eclipse Trigger. Maybe it needs some break-in time. I only put 50 rounds through it. I took it out and returned my setup back to the way it was. I'm building a .45 PCC, I'll probably just use it in that. 

I got my final testing USPSA match in - I'm planning to stay with the DBRS for the time being.  I adjusted the way I mount the gun a bit and it significantly reduced bumpfires, I only had one.  I also had some non-PCC shooters blind test the recoil system for me and they felt like the dot performance was fantastic and predictable with no specific remarks about recoil.  Like @BossHoggLou mentioned the recoil is definitely harsher than the 3 stage setup but only people who have miles on the 3 stage setup know that.

Has anyone tried the DBRS with the new ESSB?  Is there any benefit in doing this?  @TRUBL

ETA:  24A 2C on this stage.  You can split pretty ok with the DBRS.

Edited by sweatpants
Added IG

Has anyone tried the DBRS with the new ESSB?  Is there any benefit in doing this?  [mention=2749]TRUBL[/mention]

Same question, I’m ready to drop more cash on the new bolt, but how does it perform with the DBRS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO we are just now shipping the ESSB and people will be getting those this week........but the DBRS was actually designed with the ESSB in mind. And here's the kicker......you know how everyone says that 115's are not really your best choice for ammo (factory)? Well......if you ever get a hold of an ESSB and DBRS......factory 115's may just blow your socks off and rethink the whole lighter bullet thing.

33 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

SO we are just now shipping the ESSB and people will be getting those this week........but the DBRS was actually designed with the ESSB in mind. And here's the kicker......you know how everyone says that 115's are not really your best choice for ammo (factory)? Well......if you ever get a hold of an ESSB and DBRS......factory 115's may just blow your socks off and rethink the whole lighter bullet thing.

Sorry, have to ask - what does the ESSB give you over the regular Taccom bolt (or EB, for that matter)?

24 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Sorry, have to ask - what does the ESSB give you over the regular Taccom bolt (or EB, for that matter)?

Not a problem......so everyone thinks that the hot thing about the ESSB is the cross cut for LRBHO. However, I will submit that the really hot thing about the ESSB is the cocking ramp for the hammer. I did a lot of development at another company for what is probably one the most reliable 22RF uppers on the market today and that bolt, does not have a feed ramp......it has a radius to the flat on the bottom.....what that does is allows for the hammer to completely cock sooner and in the case of the 9mm AR......allows for even a shorter stroke than any other bolt on the market today. Try to shorten the stroke of any bolt out there by 1"......you'll not reset the trigger. With the ESSB, you can. 

In the case of the DBRS.....now you are talking about disconnector dwell time and the ESSB will give you the max dwell time of any bolt on the market today.

So really......for people that compete and could care less about the LRBHO.......the ESSB offers something much more significant than LRBHO alone.

Tim

37 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

Not a problem......so everyone thinks that the hot thing about the ESSB is the cross cut for LRBHO. However, I will submit that the really hot thing about the ESSB is the cocking ramp for the hammer. I did a lot of development at another company for what is probably one the most reliable 22RF uppers on the market today and that bolt, does not have a feed ramp......it has a radius to the flat on the bottom.....what that does is allows for the hammer to completely cock sooner and in the case of the 9mm AR......allows for even a shorter stroke than any other bolt on the market today. Try to shorten the stroke of any bolt out there by 1"......you'll not reset the trigger. With the ESSB, you can. 

In the case of the DBRS.....now you are talking about disconnector dwell time and the ESSB will give you the max dwell time of any bolt on the market today.

So really......for people that compete and could care less about the LRBHO.......the ESSB offers something much more significant than LRBHO alone.

Tim

Thanks for the response.

[sigh] More money to Taccom.  😉

TRUBL, can you share your thoughts or possibly pics on the spacers that come with the ESSB..? I’m wanting to go the SS route but want to leave my reliable LRBHO intact, and am skeptical of getting the DBRS before I know if the bolt runs in my setup, but due to how everything AR-9 is proprietary out there and I’m not flushed with cash, I can only afford to burn the least amount of money I can figuring it out lol... I’m assuming the ESSB is weight-free and relies on the buffer system, so is it worthwhile even trying the ESSB with a conventional buffer setup or is the DBRS an essential part..?

(FWIW, I’m running a Foxtrot Mike lower/upper/with their conventional buffer setup 6.5oz buffer weight + .308 spring, has ran  flawlessly through about  2000rds now shooting factory 115gr so it’s still “new” but runs better than previously owned/operated GMR-13 and MPX I’ve had, I could and might probably shoot matches with Tula it’s been that solid, locks back on every mag every time which I know doesn’t matter in the game but I dig it...)

Edited by ck1
7 hours ago, ck1 said:

TRUBL, can you share your thoughts or possibly pics on the spacers that come with the ESSB..? I’m wanting to go the SS route but want to leave my reliable LRBHO intact, and am skeptical of getting the DBRS before I know if the bolt runs in my setup, but due to how everything AR-9 is proprietary out there and I’m not flushed with cash, I can only afford to burn the least amount of money I can figuring it out lol... I’m assuming the ESSB is weight-free and relies on the buffer system, so is it worthwhile even trying the ESSB with a conventional buffer setup or is the DBRS an essential part..?

(FWIW, I’m running a Foxtrot Mike lower/upper/with their conventional buffer setup 6.5oz buffer weight + .308 spring, has ran  flawlessly through about  2000rds now shooting factory 115gr so it’s still “new” but runs better than previously owned/operated GMR-13 and MPX I’ve had, I could and might probably shoot matches with Tula it’s been that solid, locks back on every mag every time which I know doesn’t matter in the game but I dig it...)

So the DBRS is designed to run as is......it is already short stroked about .600", basically....those limiters that come with the ESSB is for the more conventional recoil systems. We've not come up with a solution to shorten the JP SCS as of yet, but I am sure people know how to do that already.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:11 PM, TRUBL said:

. . .

Tim

Do you feel there's a risk of beating up the hammer pin holes by cocking the hammer too aggressively due to the shorter ramp?  Or is that the cost of racing?

10 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Do you feel there's a risk of beating up the hammer pin holes by cocking the hammer too aggressively due to the shorter ramp?  Or is that the cost of racing?

doubt it......breaking pins? yup, use solid pins without the j hook groove. But you should be doing that with any blowback set up anyways.

Edited by TRUBL
On 7/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, TRUBL said:

Tim

I'm a believer!  Just received my short stroke bolt. and added it to my delayed buffer system.  Results were awesome.  Seems like the shorter stroke of the bolt smoothes out some of the snap of the buffer system.  The dot barely quivers shooting splits as fast as I can.  Thanks Tim for a great product.

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, SingInTheRain said:

@TRUBL will the ESSB and DBRS work with the Angstadt 9mm upper receiver?  I am building my first AR pistol and I am looking at the full Taccom setup with the Extreme barrel, ESSB and DBRS. Will there be any issues running this with the dedicated 9mm Glock upper and lower from Angstadt Arms?  Mostly curious if the smaller ejection port would cause problems with the ESSB.

No problems at all, they were actually designed together 

[mention=2749]TRUBL[/mention]

Any status on when the DBRS will be back in stock?  My wonderful wife was kind enough to get me an ESSB for Christmas so I'm ready to complete the set. 
I am on the email when available list, just thought I would go ahead and ask the boss. 

Thanks,

Should be a couple days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk