Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Delayed Blowback Recoil System

I saw @TRUBL mention this new delayed blowback system here a few months back and that it was in the testing phase, but haven’t seen anything else until checking the Taccom website this afternoon and seeing that it started shipping yesterday. How much reciprocating weight does this shave off a traditional buffer setup? Looks promising and at $150 definitely something I want to try out. Didn’t see any mention of this anywhere else on the site, but if there’s already a thread I would appreciate a link. I’m sure no one has these in there hands yet from the production run, but maybe someone was involved in the testing. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a little bit on their facebook page.  The system utilizes magnets to delay the opening of the bolt after the round is fired, then it uses the traditional spring.  To the best of my knowledge your bolt must have a removable weight at the back of the bolt.  There are a few videos of people that were sent prototypes and the system looks promising but I am a newb and just see what is new, I doubt it would help me that much.  I would would see better results spending the money on ammo and time practicing on the range but it is tempting to look at all the new tech that comes to the market.

I messed with one at a booth Tim had at a match. I don't think its much lighter than any other system, if at all, but it was pretty cool. The magnets take a significant amount of force to separate.

Edited by TonytheTiger
3 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I messed with one at a booth Tim had at a match. I don't think its much lighter than any other system, if at all, but it was pretty cool. The magnets take a significant amount of force to separate.

The reciprocating parts of the system (bolt/buffer) is about 25% less mass than our 3 stage system (bolt/buffer)

Edited by TRUBL

People were asking about the system......and while it's rather lengthy to explain to each person when they call, I decided to post an explanation on our FB page, so here is what was wrote:

The current 3 stage system is currently one of the top 3 systems on the market presently for the 9mm straight blow back AR’s.. This system is conventional in that it runs (with the bolt) in the 19 to 22 ounce total mass range, which is typical of any of the current systems out there. The weight in the current systems is the main drawback to felt recoil for 9mm. The 3 stage adjustable system helps tame the felt recoil by use of a second stage that slows the mass down at the end of the recoil stroke and a third stage that separates the mass of the bolt and buffer upon returning to battery and that cushion also slows down the buffer at the end of that stroke. The current 3 stage recoil system includes a preload load to adjust the preload weight of the recoil spring and you can use the optional short stroke limiter to shorten the recoil stroke. The 3 stage recoil system with out the use of the short stroke limiter allows for the use of LRBHO. This system and all other systems will send the bolt and buffer back to the rear as soon as the round is fired and while the pressure in the 9mm case is at maximum. An interesting note about this system is that due to the 3rd stage cushion……bolt bounce is almost non existent and functions very well in full auto AR9 rifles.

The Delayed Blow Back System, uses rare earth magnets to retard the movement of the bolt and buffer for a split second. This allows the projectile to move down the barrel a little farther than any conventional system, allowing for a significant drop in the chamber pressure before overcoming the magnetic force applied by the opposing magnets in the buffer and guide rod. Imagine for a moment that if you have less pressure sending your current weight system back……it would move slower. Taking that into consideration, we knew that we could lower the overall mass of the bolt/buffer to bring the speed back up (or a little more) and still reduce the measured recoil. People that shoot the MP5 with the delayed roller or the MPX with the short stroke gas system already know that with a lighter mass going at the same speed, the recoil is much less than the recoil of a conventional AR9. So get back on track…..we were able to reduce the mass by 25% over our current system and are able to increase the speed of the recoil by a little bit over a conventional system. Now, we already know that we are going to hear that the recoil is more than what they currently have……this is only a perception, do not confuse faster with more. The bottom line is that due to the less mass the recoil is in fact less and more importantly, the sight ‘bounce’ is minimized and return to POA is significantly reduced. Your cadence will need to be adjusted and typically within the timeframe of one practice session, you will see positive results in split times and bullet to bullet distance on paper. What I am saying is that target reacquisition will be faster and almost (if not) as fast as any roller system or gas system presently available today. The delayed blow back system also incorporates a second stage at the end of the recoil stroke to help slow the mass down before bottoming out on the stop. This is why, if there is any drawback…..it will not allow for conventional LRBHO to function. In the near future, we will be releasing a new 9mm bolt that when used with any short stroked recoil system (ours or conventional) allow the LRBHO to function. While designed to run with factory loaded ammo, we’ve found that this system works well with lower PF ammo, down to the 11oPF for steel loads…….we will be offering a reduced buffer weight for people that want to shoot sub 100PF in the near future. This system has been tested with suppressors, but has not been tested with full auto rifles and presently, we do not recommend using this in full auto.
While this may not be a ‘pros and cons’ of one system over the other…….I’ve laid out the facts of each of the 9mm recoil systems we offer and you can decide which system is better for your use.

BTW, either system will work with 9mm, 40sw and 45acp…..we presently, will not recommend any straight blow back system for the 10mm auto. Just set in our ways I guess…….but always open to try it down the road.

Edited by TRUBL
4 hours ago, TRUBL said:

The reciprocating parts of the system (bolt/buffer) is about 25% less mass than our 3 stage system (bolt/buffer)

Just out of curiosity what is the reciprocating weight? I’m assuming around 4-4.5 ounces? I noticed a huge difference dropping from a 7.5oz to 6.5oz buffer weight, so would imagine dropping under 5oz would be noticeable yet again, I’m just not comfortable going that low on a traditional blowback setup 

1 hour ago, Wvaughn7 said:

Just out of curiosity what is the reciprocating weight? I’m assuming around 4-4.5 ounces? I noticed a huge difference dropping from a 7.5oz to 6.5oz buffer weight, so would imagine dropping under 5oz would be noticeable yet again, I’m just not comfortable going that low on a traditional blowback setup 

Neither would I.......your key word is "TRADITIONAL", something that this system is not.

Edited by TRUBL
18 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

Neither would I.......your key word is "TRADITIONAL", something that this system is not.

I fully understand your system is not a traditional blowback system and that is what intrigued me. I think you are on to an awesome product and fully intend on picking one up. Being an engineer by trade I love a new perspective on a tried and true design to push the envelope and thinly up make great products. 

Got mine today, wasn't expecting till Monday. Initial impressions are that it is pretty sweet! Splits and double taps were as good or better than my other setups. I'm going to do some more comparisons between my blitzkrieg and mbx setup as soon as I make some more ammo. Thanks Tim for answering my questions and the great customer service 

Hey @Bwillis it's Wesley from TAC2. I've got this system on the way, and am gonna be at the August USPSA match as long as the wife's delivery goes smooth toward the end of this month. If y'all wanna come up and bring your PCCs we can run them side by side to compare. 

I installed this today into an Odin Zulu and quickly realized the combination wouldn't work due to the secondary buffer spring collapsing we'll before the magnets release. Does anyone have any experience deleting the Zulu's secondary spring, with a spacer of some sort?

Or perhaps picking up a pistol buffer tube, but then I don't think I'll get the length of pull I'd want with the Zulu shoulder piece.