Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the Dot-RTS2, 510C, DPP 2.5

Posvar

I’m having a blast in open and made B last week. I’d love to make A by the Fall but softball is in full swing and shooting will be limited. 

I have noticed that different optics are faster or easier to acquire than others for some reason. The DPP 2.5 for me is the slowest to find. RTS2 is super easy on the same gun and I have recently switched over to the 510C and am enjoyng it. 

All of these optics have been tested on the same gun and all are different as far as acquiring the dot and squeezing off the first round. Some are more bouncy or some seem to be in a total different spot than others. 

I know I need to stick with one and have settled on the 510C but was just curious if others have found this and what their preferences are. 

I think if you dryfire enough then it doesn’t really matter. You have the natural index trained up for that dot and mount combination.

That being said when I switched guns I set the new one up with a 510c and like it a lot. After several months of dryfire and shooting it, I can’t imagine switching back. Possibly more forgiving than a smaller screen size but if the index is off then it is just off and I don’t think once off that far that any optic would make a difference.

I used Romeo 3, RTS2, DPP PRO, and Romeo 1 along with the 510c I have now. None were enough difference to change overall performance level. It just comes down to picking one you like and drilling in the index through repetition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the 510 on my open gun. I loved it in the beginning. But the thing just died on me at the beep. Batteries wouldn’t work. And the solar didn’t work either. So I no longer use it. 

I did send it back and they sent me out a new one. It’s on my pcc, where it enjoys being. But for open. I’m sticking with the rts2

19 hours ago, sauza45 said:

What size dot are you using? are they all the same size, and do you like the small or larger dot.

The DPP is 2.5 and my RTS2 is 6. The 510C is the red one and I think the dot is a 2 MOA.

I understand the value of dry fire and agree with that. For now the RTS2 has been the easiest and fastest to acquire and keep in the window when shooting freestyle or weak/strong hand.

I have the RTS2 on 3 of my guns and am really having a tough time with the dot washing out in bright sun. They are all 6 moa dots. 

Thinking of trying the SRO and the Romeo 3 Max once they become widely available. 

I had a 6 moa RTS2 on my Open gun & recently purchased an 8 moa RTS2 for comparison and found the 8 moa is not only bigger, but much MUCH brighter than the 6 ever was. Tried new batteries, tried cleaning the diode, but always felt like the 6 moa RTS2 wasn't bright enough, especially when shooting in the Southern States (Florida, Texas, etc.). 

I also started with a 6 but switched to the 8. Easier to pick up and is brighter when it’s really sunny out. Tight shots like 25yd partials to me are a little more interesting with a bigger dot as it covers most of the target area but still seems the bigger dot is the way to go for what we do in USPSA. I hear they have a 10 moa to at cmore but havnt seen one in person.

19 hours ago, Chris Keen said:

I had a 6 moa RTS2 on my Open gun & recently purchased an 8 moa RTS2 for comparison and found the 8 moa is not only bigger, but much MUCH brighter than the 6 ever was. Tried new batteries, tried cleaning the diode, but always felt like the 6 moa RTS2 wasn't bright enough, especially when shooting in the Southern States (Florida, Texas, etc.). 

I just switched my guns to 10 moa RTS2's from 8 moa and they are even brighter

So for larger dots i think minute movements are less obvious. So shooting a smaller dot its like you've got f*#kin epilepsy sometimes. With that being said i try not to hold my dot to a higher standard than irons. Although they are a lot more precise...you have to accept the wobble zone. And i do actually run a 2.5 MOA with a Romeo 3 which is working great for me so far.

As far as issues finding the dot. This method is well, a little unorthodox and some people might hate on it. But if you come into position and you cant find the dot. Just rip a round off...usually the dot will come onto the glass naturally from the recoil of the gun. And then from there you can adjust what you need to. Its called shooting onto the target. Although i don't need to do this really anymore, when i first started shooting open, sometimes i would have trouble finding the dot. And i would have to do this. Especially coming into positions hard, or at extremely awkward body positions.

Another thing is to do the around the clock drill from Mike Seeklander. Throw a target on the wall, and then just go around the clock, drawing and stepping to each time on the clock. So the 1 o clock position...then the 2 then the 3 and so on. All while aiming at the same target. You are forced to get into super awkward positions and cross body draws. Youll at least get used to finding the dot during this sort of situations. And dry fires dry fires. I do about 30-1.5 hours a day depending on what ive got going on. And have been shooting open since march. And feel comfortable finding the dot now. I haven't lost it for sometime now. So try those are look at those options. Good luck!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Fo0 said:

2" at 100 yards

Sorry dude but that's incorrect. A 10 MOA dot at 100 would cover 10 inches

MOA is an angular measurement that increases over distance. So think of it like a funnel. Where the pointy bit is at your muzzle and the mouth of the funnel down range.

2 Moa dot at 100 would cover 2 inches

3 Moa dot 3 inches at 100 and so on.

So for like the Eotech for example (and Sig Romeo 4 and 5, and the holosun 510c) it has a 65 MOA donut. Why that's important for a combat optic is the average sized human being is about 65 inches from head to toe. So you can kind of use it to range targets. So if the circle superimposed over a guy, and he fits in there from foot to head, hes about 100 yards away.

But we are never shooting to 100 yards with a pistol. Even an open gun with a frame mounted dot.

You really only need to be concerned 20 yards and in. So the larger dot can be argued that its easier to acquire at speed and such. And who knows. It might be.

So your 10 MOA dot would cover

2.5 inches at 25 yards

5 inches at 50 yards

7.5 at 75 yards

10 at 100 yards

1 minute ago, devilsdenguns said:

Sorry dude but that's incorrect. A 10 MOA dot at 100 would cover 10 inches

MOA is an angular measurement that increases over distance. So think of it like a funnel. Where the pointy bit is at your muzzle and the mouth of the funnel down range.

2 Moa dot at 100 would cover 2 inches

3 Moa dot 3 inches at 100 and so on.

So for like the Eotech for example (and Sig Romeo 4 and 5, and the holosun 510c) it has a 65 MOA donut. Why that's important for a combat optic is the average sized human being is about 65 inches from head to toe. So you can kind of use it to range targets. So if the circle superimposed over a guy, and he fits in there from foot to head, hes about 100 yards away.

But we are never shooting to 100 yards with a pistol. Even an open gun with a frame mounted dot.

You really only need to be concerned 20 yards and in. So the larger dot can be argued that its easier to acquire at speed and such. And who knows. It might be.

So your 10 MOA dot would cover

2.5 inches at 25 yards

5 inches at 50 yards

7.5 at 75 yards

10 at 100 yards

10-8=2

10 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

10-8=2

oh is he asking how much larger the 10 MOA dot is than the 8MOA dot at 100? hahahah!
i mean yes...yes sir. You are correct. exactly 2 more inches at 100 yards. I could always use an extra 2 inches that's for sure haha! My bad my dude. haha

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, RawTime said:

I had the 510 on my open gun. I loved it in the beginning. But the thing just died on me at the beep. Batteries wouldn’t work. And the solar didn’t work either. So I no longer use it. 

I did send it back and they sent me out a new one. It’s on my pcc, where it enjoys being. But for open. I’m sticking with the rts2

How many rounds did you have on it? And have you heard of anyone else killing there 510C? Just curious because I'm thinkin about running one on my next open gun.