Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the Dot-RTS2, 510C, DPP 2.5

Posvar

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, devilsdenguns said:

As far as issues finding the dot. This method is well, a little unorthodox and some people might hate on it. But if you come into position and you cant find the dot. Just rip a round off...usually the dot will come onto the glass naturally from the recoil of the gun. And then from there you can adjust what you need to. Its called shooting onto the target. Although i don't need to do this really anymore, when i first started shooting open, sometimes i would have trouble finding the dot. And i would have to do this. Especially coming into positions hard, or at extremely awkward body positions.

Glad you posted this!  I found the same thing by accident - couldn't find the dot but was the first shot was to a fairly close target so I just point shot it.  The dot "magically" appeared for the next shot.  I've had this happen a number of times until I developed enough muscle memory to be able to present the gun so the dot was there 99% of the time.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, mvmojo said:

The dot "magically" appeared for the next shot.  I've had this happen a number of times until I developed enough muscle memory to be able to present the gun so the dot was there 99% of the time.

And where does muscle memory come from? 

Practice! ;)

On 6/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, Posvar said:

The DPP is 2.5 and my RTS2 is 6. The 510C is the red one and I think the dot is a 2 MOA.

I understand the value of dry fire and agree with that. For now the RTS2 has been the easiest and fastest to acquire and keep in the window when shooting freestyle or weak/strong hand.

do you think that it might be because the dot is 3x the size of the other two?

14 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

do you think that it might be because the dot is 3x the size of the other two?

I don’t think so. The DPP turned up is just as large for me. Same goes for the 510C. 

The 510C is just amazing in my book.  A $208 solar supplemented optic with a titanium hood and the biggest quality window on the market.

It doesn’t matter if you dryfire 24/7, there is always going to be a weak hand, under the table on a pogo stick stage where you thank Jesus you have a large window.

I have used the C-More 8 MOA for years on my open gun- no problem- the dot is always there quickly. Tried a vortex venom 6 MOA on a springfield XDM 9mm and I have to search for the dot - think I need to dry fire more or practice drawing with this gun more so I get used to it. So more practice is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, you need to dry fire to learn to present the gun in the same way each time, especially when you have unusual positions or strong hand/weak hand. If you cannot find the dot due to it being dim, I would suggest you go to an 8 MOA as the dot is much brighter, especially in the sun.

Check out the FTP Alpha Optics 3 in our vendor forum. It is available in 6 or 8 MOA and has 97 % light transmission and a special anti reflective lens coating to make the dot brighter than many other brands out there.

I have about 15K rounds this year behind a DPP and 3-4 x per week dry fire and I'm finally getting comfortable with the delta.  For a long time the sight picture seemed too busy and took a little bit more time for the brain to process it.  If I had it to do over,  def a round dot.