Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO problems

Rich406

Anyone who thought that ANY new slide mounted red dot was going to magically work perfectly with zero issues is in fantasy land. Slide Mounted Red Dots can and will fail regardless of manufacture. Embrace that fact and have a proactive plan for dealing with the failures when they happen.

Here is the sobering reality of the situation. Slide mounted red dots will never be 100% reliable until a company makes a truly ruggedized version that will likely cost several thousand dollars. Nobody would pay several thousand dollars for a red dot sight so they will never exist. The market can justify $300 - $600 for a red dot sight. Manufactures are forced to produce a product that fits into that price point knowing full well that they will likely not hold up to serious competition level use. Its likely cheaper for them to play the warranty replace game for competition shooters while selling "Cheap" sights as they know the bulk of the customers buying them will never shoot more than 1000 rounds on the guns they are mounted on. 

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Probably silly to hope for a better experience in terms of reliability. But that's what I'm doing.

The only thing silly is the guys who are let down by a brand new untested red dot which has the exact same teething issues that all of them have had.

Just because they make the RMR doesn’t promise that all their other products will be equally rugged. Gotta give them time to work the bugs out and for the dot to prove itself.

I have approximately 6500 on my original SRO, only persisting issue is the elevation adjustment moving under recoil. However I’ve been using clear nail polish to make it stay put. 

That said, I also had one SRO that arrived with a fuzzy dot, and I did do some minor filing to the front lip to get it to work with my x5.

i also installed it on my legion to test out, and even though it overhangs the ejection port by a good 1/4 inch, I’ve had no issues in 1500 rounds. Not enough to be sure though. 

11A0C33E-60F3-4721-A17E-A55494777859.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, Rich406 said:

I have approximately 6500 on my original SRO, only persisting issue is the elevation adjustment moving under recoil. However I’ve been using clear nail polish to make it stay put. 

That said, I also had one SRO that arrived with a fuzzy dot, and I did do some minor filing to the front lip to get it to work with my x5.

i also installed it on my legion to test out, and even though it overhangs the ejection port by a good 1/4 inch, I’ve had no issues in 1500 rounds. Not enough to be sure though. 

Been thinking of picking up one of these for my X5 Legion.  Did you have any issues before you filed it back?   How much did you end up removing?  

On Trijicon's website, they show the site mounted to a few different pistols where it was overhanging the ejection port a lot more than the picture you posted above.  Its interesting that the made the hood as long as they did.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my 5Moa on sunday, I've put about 350 rounds through it so far and the adjustment screws have not

budged(marked with sharpie) I'm going to shoot and another 200 on Friday and again on Saturday and recheck them.

so far so good , mine looks OK so far, the dot is nice and clear , everything is working as it should.

I'm shooting my own Ibejehead 147 rounds  hitting PF just at 130, so they're not +P rounds or anything close.

I may shoot some factory ammo that's hotter this weekend as well and see if that makes anything move.

Hopefully I'm all set.

Anyone tried using theirs at a lowish sun angle (about 3 hours before sunset and about 40 degrees to one side) and see an extra, fuzzier dot just above the main one?

Edit-- It appears to be a secondary reflection off the dot module glass.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, Rich406 said:

Very interesting!! Are you getting any deposits on the front of the lens from the LCI port?

Update: I switched to the 5moa and Ive been using  it on my X5 Legion for a few weeks now. Have approximately 2500 rounds through it. The elevation dial on both my 5MOAs have not moved at all, so perhaps  there was an issue with the early SROs, I just happened to get 2 bad sights right off the bat, or maybe they stealth fixed it (doubtful).

The SRO overhangs the ejection port by a lot, however ive really had no problems. I use the 12# spring in the legion, and I used a 14# in my regular x5, i'm sure that contributes to the brass ejecting better as well. As an added bonus due to the overhang the SRO lens doesn't get any carbon buildup from the slot in the barrel.

I did have one stovepipe, but I don't think it was caused by the SRO, the round felt funny like it was under charged. This happened during a match so I was unable to examine it closely.

I really like the SRO, it has its quirks, but they are very minor compared to some of the other MRDs on the market. So far I have had no issues with anything major. I have about 10k rounds spread out over 4 sights. I'd like to get to at least 10k on a single SRO before I deem it reliable, but that's gonna take a bit more time.

Edited by Rich406

On 8/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, Rich406 said:

I should also add. I have a couple Romeo3 Maxs on the way to me, should have them next week, im interested to see how they compare.

Nice, where you bought the R3Max then? Thanks 

On 8/13/2019 at 6:41 PM, Rich406 said:

I should also add. I have a couple Romeo3 Maxs on the way to me, should have them next week, im interested to see how they compare.

Are there any mounting plates for Romeo3Max and X-Five Legion yet and does it uses the RTS2 mounting pattern? Can't find anything at over at Springer Precision's website.

I'm about to pick up a X-Five Legion for the next season and I am considering between the Romeo3Max and SRO. So I am very interested in your comparison and how they hold up and function on a Legion.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an SRO and I've noticed one really strange issue with the auto-brightness feature that doesnt happen with my RMR. When I'm in a room that is lit exclusively with LED light bulbs the auto-brightness doesn't work. Side-by-side with my RMR in the same lighting, the RMR will adjust to the 5th setting and be nice and bright, while the SRO stays at the 2nd setting which is fairly dim. When I moved into a room with incandescent bulbs, the SRO adjusted the brightness properly, just like the RMR.

I then tried using it in a dark room with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL, which uses an LED, and saw the same issue. The RMR brightened so that the dot could be seen against the light while the SRO did not and got washed out by the light.

I contacted Trijicon and they offered for me to send my SRO in to be evaluated. They said that the RMR and SRO might react differently to light, but didn't specifically acknowledge that the SRO doesn't react to LED light, which seems very strange. Before I do anything though, I'm wondering if anyone else had noticed the same happening with their SRO and LED lighting.

Edited by Hazborgufen

57 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Not for duty use 😂

Hopefully Trijicon doesn't take that cop out. Especially since they list the SRO, and the auto-brightness feature in particular, as "Ideal for everyday carry" in the Features section on their site for the SRO.

Edited by Hazborgufen

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Willz said:

I was about to pull the trigger on the SRO to mount on my X5 Legion but seeing this thread and Romeo 3max coming out has me on pause.

What happened to me. I was seeking out a 5moa SRO to match my 2.5 and the new Sig dots dropped. Never knew they were even coming. Tried one from Short Round Supply and whoa. Sold some DPPs and my SRO and now Im all about the Sig.