Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on safety.

dmshozer1

At a local USPSA match there were two shooters that would put their glasses on only when shooting.

I waited for the RO to tell them to keep them on. He did not so I told them to put them on. Lasted for one stage and off they came

after they shot. Went the rest of the match that way. The RO was also the match directer.

Should they have been DQed?

5.4.1 All persons on the range potentially exposed to ricochet debris or bullet fragments are required to wear eye protection. All persons on the range where the sound of firearms being fired may potentially cause hearing damage are required to wear or use adequate hearing protection.

33 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

At a local USPSA match there were two shooters that would put their glasses on only when shooting.

Should they have been DQed?

Not DQ’ed but I would have told them to keep them on or leave the range. THEN if they wanted to argue I would have considered 10.6?

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Not DQ’ed but I would have told them to keep them on or leave the range. THEN if they wanted to argue I would have considered 10.6?

As the RO, I’d probably tell them to put them on, give them one reminder if I saw them again with them off, and then call the RM if it happened a third time. If they argued, I’d call the RM.

Jeez, with the number of times I've been knicked by frag from steel shot by another shooter, I wouldn't even think of stepping into a bay with shooting going on without eyepro.  Heck, I learned how to wear contacts just so I could wear wraparound non-prescription lenses rather than my regular eyeglasses, which leave the sides of my eyes exposed.

WTF are these morons thinking?  

3 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

That is what I asked,

Is there a rule where they could be DQed?

Understood - it's just that a lot of people jump to "DQ" without understanding you cannot DQ someone without a rule that allows it.

As someone else mentioned, 10.3.1 might hold up, but it's not explicit given that 5.4.1 talks about "all persons" and the rest of 5.4 applies "during a course of fire."

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm saying that there's some discretion there.  The RM and MD should have a talk where the RM reminds the MD of the safety regulations... and enforces them.

11 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

DQ'ed under what rule?

5.4 Eye and Ear Protection

5.4.1 All persons near an area potentially exposed to ricochet debris or bullet fragments are required to wear eye protection. All persons near an area where the sound of firearms being fired may potentially cause hearing damage are required to wear adequate hearing protection.

5.4.2 If a Range Officer deems that a competitor about to make an attempt at a course of fire is wearing inadequate eye or ear protection, the Range Officer may order the competitor to rectify the situation before allowing the competitor to continue. The Range Master is the final authority on this matter.

Honestly I’m surprised it’s even being asked. I’ve never been to a shooting range would would allow people onto their bays without eye & ear protection. If the MD isn’t taking action, I’d let the range owners know.

10 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

As someone else mentioned, 10.3.1 might hold up, but it's not explicit given that 5.4.1 talks about "all persons" and the rest of 5.4 applies "during a course of fire."

I'm thinking that "during a course of fire" would apply to everyone on the range at that stage.

1 minute ago, mreed911 said:

How do you DQ a non-competitor?

10.6.2 Other persons may be expelled from the range for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be unacceptable. Examples of unacceptable conduct include, but are not limited to, failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official, interference with the operation of a course of fire and/or a competitor’s attempt thereof, and any other behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute.

Should we take a poll of people hit by fragments even when back from the stage?

I would suggest pulling the RO or someone aside to let them know. Then they can "notice" it and ask them to comply.

10 minutes ago, lfine said:

Should we take a poll of people hit by fragments even when back from the stage?

I would suggest pulling the RO or someone aside to let them know. Then they can "notice" it and ask them to comply.

Did you read OP's post?

"The RO was also the match directer."

The only other person to go to is the RM, who might also be the same person (but shouldn't be).  After that, it's the actual range staff.

For all the arguments we have on here about DQ's, it's funny to see people jump straight to DQ here.  Safety violation?  Sure.  Something a competitor can do anything about if the RO/MD aren't willing to enforce USPSA rules?  Beyond contacting their Area Director, no.

1 hour ago, HCH said:

8.3.1: “Make Ready” .....competitor must.....fit eye and hearing protection ......

Is it smart to walk around without eye pro? No. 

I’d be hard pressed to DQ someone for walking around the range without it though. 

How about if you told them twice and they still did not do it for the rest of the 5 stages?

3 hours ago, mreed911 said:

How do you DQ a non-competitor?

you don't have to dq them, just eject them from the range. At our range, you are simply not allowed to be there without eye protection. period. Has nothing to do with USPSA.

Edited by motosapiens