Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC and lasers

I have limited knowledge about lasers.

Last month a stage started with 2 USPSA targets at a very sharp angle.

It would have been nice to start the rifle on my off side, have the laser pointed at the first A zone and fire from the hip.

Is anyone using a laser in PCC?  And if so, which one would do you like?

Do you also just use it for an occasional stage and remove it for other stages.

TIA

jon

I use the Crimson Trace 206. It stays one the gun all the time but I only turn it on if needed on a stage for hard leans to off shoulder. I tried the cheap ($20 from Amazon) ones and they work, but I like the smallness of the Crimson Trace. I mount it on top of my barrel and I can barely see it IF I look for it through my c-more. It is worth the money IMO.

CT 206

I have found the hip firing to be best at 1 piece of steel. If you double tap from the hip the second shot could easily be off the target as the gun moves a lot more during recoil if you are not shouldering it  

52 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

CT 206

I have found the hip firing to be best at 1 piece of steel. If you double tap from the hip the second shot could easily be off the target as the gun moves a lot more during recoil if you are not shouldering it  

The gun moves a lot if you’re not holding it firm, it doesn’t matter if it’s shouldered or not. Try Pinning the stock against your hip with your arm or press the rear of stock against the front of your belt. Either way inside of 15 yards two alpha  with fast splits. 

6 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

The gun moves a lot if you’re not holding it firm, it doesn’t matter if it’s shouldered or not. Try Pinning the stock against your hip with your arm or press the rear of stock against the front of your belt. Either way inside of 15 yards two alpha  with fast splits. 

Yup. the laser'd hip shots definitely take practice.

I also find the laser quite useful when hitting close targets and you are running at quickly. It can be less movement to NOT shoulder the stock (and hence the need for the laser sight).

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I have a red laser on my M&P pistol, and it is not visible in bright sunshine.

I understand the green lasers are visible.    

I can see my green laser with Oakley prizms in daylight out to 20 yards. 

36 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

I can see my green laser with Oakley prizms in daylight out to 20 yards. 

That’s the best thing about the Oakley prizms. They increased the contrast and you’ll see the red dot and laser better. 

I’m using the Laser max uni-max green rifle laser on a pressure switch. In direct sunlight I can only see it 7 yards and in. It’s mostly used during weak shoulder switches so I don’t have to waste time trying to get my non dom eye looking through the scope.

Edited by DocMedic

I guess I use mine a bit differently than most. it's always on and sighted in at 7 yards. and then I just use it as a second dot. when I look thru  my c more the red dot is 18 yards and the green is 7 yards, so I just don't have to think about hold over for close targets. it has been used to shoot around walls from time to time.

Crimson Trace 206 green color to distinguish laser from dot when looking through the optic, sighted in for 5 yards only used for close up stuff (especially close partials like head shots with no shoot underneath or target stacks) so I can shoot faster without needing to estimate distance and hold-over. Clubs that do not like PCC do this kind of thing to mess with PCC shooters.  It’s pretty annoying to me, even when I shoot open, which is most of the time. Hard leans I use an offset dot. Hard leans super close like 3-5 yards I will probably use the laser because it loses accuracy when it is tilted and no longer lined up with the bore at longer distances. Both primary and offset dot I have zeroed to 25

yards, and know the offset for various distances.

Edited by Silverscooby27

I have not found it useful for shots from the hip. Getting the first shot off is faster, yes, but I find that overall, if there are other targets to shoot from the same position, it is slower than shouldering and shooting everything normally. If you have doubt, set it up in practice, time it and do what is best for you.

12 hours ago, George16 said:

That’s the best thing about the Oakley prizms. They increased the contrast and you’ll see the red dot and laser better. 

SOOO that's how you get all those A's- OK ill try that 😣

13 hours ago, Bwillis said:

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I have not found it useful for shots from the hip. Getting the first shot off is faster, yes, but I find that overall, if there are other targets to shoot from the same position, it is slower than shouldering and shooting everything normally. If you have doubt, set it up in practice, time it and do what is best for you.

It does take significant practice, initially it'll only be faster for 1 target, but as you get better at transitions you can take a few more targets from the hip without it being faster to simply shoulder. My cross over is 3 targets. 4 targets it's faster to shoulder.

In my experience there are a lot of variables for me it’s target array and stage design depending. Personally I like it for belt start on a single target with a wide or long transition. I hip fire the first target and as I’m transitioning long or wide I’ll bring the pcc to shoulder. Shannon Smith has a video out were he destroys a 3 target array with a laser. Adrian uses his for a single target when he can belt start and run and hard leans. 

Edited by Bwillis
5 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

@George16 I had a guy ask how I saw my laser in the sun a distance. I hand him my Oakley’s  and he called me a cheater. I was skeptical and hesitant to buy them but they are game changers. Everything pops out and is crystal clear. 

You’re not alone. A few of my friends didn’t believe me either. But once I gave them my prizms, they were amazed at the clarity and contrast. A few guys on here got lucky when they bought prizm sunglasses from me for cheap.

I also wear a pair of polarized prizm sunglasses for daily use. 

18 minutes ago, George16 said:

You’re not alone. A few of my friends didn’t believe me either. But once I gave them my prizms, they were amazed at the clarity and contrast. A few guys on here got lucky when they bought prizm sunglasses from me for cheap.

I also wear a pair of polarized prizm sunglasses for daily use. 

I bought mine a week before you posted that, very unlucky I paid $60-70 more than you had them listed for if I’m not mistaken.