Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS under 1K .45 ACP

gerritm

We have a once a month SS match and my son & I shoot it. He took my Trojan & I am looking for a reliable 45 SS just something that runs with a decent beveled mag well. Ruger, Springfield, Kimber, Sig? What would you recommend?

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
more info

I lean towards the Springfield,  but any you listed will probably be fine. I think the sig uses slightly different holsters, so that is something to consider, maybe someone who shoots one will chime in.

Sig can be had in both the "classic" to them slide kinda squared off.

Or traditional slides (i.e. fit regular 1911 holsters)

I like the SIGS , SA more than the others you mentioned.

SA Range officers seem like the best deal out there currently.

I use a GI model I got years back as a project gun.

I installed a beavertail, dovetailed new sights, lowered and flared the ejection port, flared the magwell and installed Cylinder and Slide internals. 

It was a fun project and has been a blast to shoot. 

Edited by Matt1911

Found one over the weekend at a gun show. Not sure if it was the best choice, but it was brand new. Felt great. A Smith & Wesson Doug Koenig SW1911DK from their custom shop. Gun was built in 2005 and has never been shot. Still in the original box wrapped in the oil paper. Only thing I have to replace is the front sight with a FO. Trigger is a little heavy, but super smooth/crisp.

I played with several different models & brands at the GS. Didn't like the triggers on most.

Thanks for the help.

gerritm

I lean towards the Springfield,  but any you listed will probably be fine. I think the sig uses slightly different holsters, so that is something to consider, maybe someone who shoots one will chime in.
Yes. Sig 1911s have different cuts in the slide so holsters will have to be made for a Sig pistol. Speaking using my 9mm Match Elite as experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like Sig at that price point for one reason; they give you a checkered frontstrap. Nobody else does that on a gun they sell for less than a grand. 

Funky slide, blah, blah, blah. Buy a holster, even factoring in that $60.00 you're still ahead of the game.

The problem with SIG is if it gives any problems you have to deal with SIG.

I chose a Springfield after they fixed a customer's gun for next to nothing. The customer got a 40 into his 45 magazine and it slipped past his extractor. He racked a 45 in behind it and it went boom not bang. It cracked the barrel and bulged the slide. I had to cut the slide catch out to get it apart.

It was clearly the customer's fault, yet Springfield fixed his TRP as good as new for $125 including return shipping. No other company in the industry has this level of service.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:51 PM, PatJones said:

The problem with SIG is if it gives any problems you have to deal with SIG.

I chose a Springfield after they fixed a customer's gun for next to nothing. The customer got a 40 into his 45 magazine and it slipped past his extractor. He racked a 45 in behind it and it went boom not bang. It cracked the barrel and bulged the slide. I had to cut the slide catch out to get it apart.

It was clearly the customer's fault, yet Springfield fixed his TRP as good as new for $125 including return shipping. No other company in the industry has this level of service.

Thats great for the guy who gets the gun he blew up through negligence fixed for free, but that's why Springfield Armory sells $600.00 guns for $1,000.00.

Great that they have the CS reputation, but sad that their QC makes it necessary so often.