Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Coated 124’s recommendation

oteroman

Most of the time I use an RCBS seater and Lee taper crimp die; both can seat and crimp but I do them in separate operations. (Separate stations on a Dillon 550) Sometimes I use a Lee FCD when appropriate but not usually. 

You really don't want to seat and crimp in the same stage with lead bullets (cast/lubed, coated, etc), that's a sure way to get lead shavings around the case mouth.

If your crimp die is a Lee taper crimp and not the FCD, it sounds like you have the same dies for seating and crimping? Easy to tell, the FCD has a carbide sizer ring at the opening, but the standard seat/crimp die does not.

If you're seeing brass shaving with that crimp die, it's probably a bit rough inside. It should not do that. Try swapping it with your seater die (if they are both the same die), maybe that one has a smoother crimp taper. You'll have to re-adjust each one for seating and crimping respectively of course. 

Edited by Yondering

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Since this thread was started, BBI has cut prices across their product line. With a team member's code for 7.5% additional off, they are priced very attractively.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Gonna give the Brazos 125gr 9mm a try.  Ordered a sample pack sized at .357 Wednesday, got a shipping notice Thursday afternoon and a follow up notice this morning, so far so good.  Looking forward to seeing how they perform in my 320X5.   

21 hours ago, dave33 said:

Gonna give the Brazos 125gr 9mm a try.  Ordered a sample pack sized at .357 Wednesday, got a shipping notice Thursday afternoon and a follow up notice this morning, so far so good.  Looking forward to seeing how they perform in my 320X5.   

i have the brazo 125 in .357 dia, they work fine, 4.0 sport pistol and 1.250 oal they fit all my 9"s

chet

Off the top of my head I think my load was 3.6gr Titegroup at 1.13-1.14” and that worked pretty well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I use the Precision 125 gr .38 bullet in .358 dia.  Shoots very well in my 9mm Citadel.  I only use one brand of brass per caliber (in the 9mm I use Win) which I feel really helps the accuracy also.

I'm finishing up a 500 count of these,  .358 also.  Great bullet. Very accurate and completely clean.  Brazos 125s  shot the same for cheaper,. Just a little lead when the gun gets hot after a lot of rounds in hot weather.  Not bad at all though and a great value.

I'm finishing up a 500 count of these,  .358 also.  Great bullet. Very accurate and completely clean.  Brazos 125s  shot the same for cheaper,. Just a little lead when the gun gets hot after a lot of rounds in hot weather.  Not bad at all though and a great value.

Hmm that’s odd, I still haven’t gotten any lead from the Brazos bullets. I’m shooting the 147gr .357” bullets. Iv had a bunch of range trips with a hot gun where I’m practicing drawing and shooting 5 shots reload, then 5 more. The gun is smoking hot after a half hour of that, I mean like, can barely rack the slide it’s so hot. I’ll have to keep an eye out for leading though, thanks for the heads up. Btw, that’s all in glocks

Why are most shooters using .356 color coated/lead? Isn't .357/.358 more precise on most 9mm guns? Is it due to recoil or any other factor? 

I think most of the people who have a better grasp and more knowledge on the subject are using .357+ and I think the guys that are using the smaller bullets just found them on the shelf somewhere and picked them up without doing research on them. If I hadn’t poked around here before buying coated bullets I would have bought .356 because that’s the size of the plated bullets I used and would have expected that to be the correct size. But, that’s just my opinion on why

1 minute ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I think most of the people who have a better grasp and more knowledge on the subject are using .357+ and I think the guys that are using the smaller bullets just found them on the shelf somewhere and picked them up without doing research on them. If I hadn’t poked around here before buying coated bullets I would have bought .356 because that’s the size of the plated bullets I used and would have expected that to be the correct size. But, that’s just my opinion on why

Here where I live it's really hard to find 124 grains 357/358 and most manifacturers just sell 355 or 356 color coated (and .356 lead).

If I want any combination of 124 grains / .357 or more, I have to look for very expensive bullets (or find a manifacturer which will use a different resizer).

Some of them say .356 bullets are just fine, or even .355, with less recoil. I can't explain why, since the cost shouldn't vary in such terms. 

And most European barrels are .355 or above. Cz S2 is .3555 typically. 

Here where I live it's really hard to find 124 grains 357/358 and most manifacturers just sell 355 or 356 color coated (and .356 lead).

If I want any combination of 124 grains / .357 or more, I have to look for very expensive bullets (or find a manifacturer which will use a different resizer).

Some of them say .356 bullets are just fine, or even .355, with less recoil. I can't explain why, since the cost shouldn't vary in such terms. 

And most European barrels are .355 or above. Cz S2 is .3555 typically. 

That’s what most barrels are cut to I’m pretty sure. Iv heard the problem with the .356 bullets is that they might not seal Wel enough into the rifling causing gas to flow around the outside of the bullet which causes leading.
So it sounds like you can’t place online orders? Are there any plated bullets around you?

1 minute ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

That’s what most barrels are cut to I’m pretty sure. Iv heard the problem with the .356 bullets is that they might not seal Wel enough into the rifling causing gas to flow around the outside of the bullet which causes leading.
So it sounds like you can’t place online orders? Are there any plated bullets around you?

There are some tribal villages in which some manifacturers produce their bullets

Online orders usually equals to expensive bullets (still not so much availability as you would expect).

It's very hard to find combinations like 124 - 355/356/357/358. It's more like 124 - 355/356, 135 - 355/356 and so on. If I wanted 357/358 I should look for 145/158 grains, or pick some very expensive bullets which usually cost twice as much.

Are the coated bullets you use all covered or they are as the typical FMJ bullet? I think the color coated bullets I use can't lead the barrel, just like any plated bullet.

However, I think the gas leak will not guarantee the best accuracy

Coated bullets are completely coated.  Also they will for sure lead your barrel if too small for the bore or handled incorrectly.  If available, may I suggest looking in the .38/.357 family where the nominal dia. Is .358.  Many times you find the same bullet as sold for 9mm  sized differently.  Sometimes a different profile of the same weight which works good.  The Brazos 125g TC bullet for .38/.357  is an example of this.   It depends on how large the mfg. mold throws them. 

5 minutes ago, GMP said:

Coated bullets are completely coated.  Also they will for sure lead your barrel if too small for the bore or handled incorrectly.  If available, may I suggest looking in the .38/.357 family where the nominal dia. Is .358.  Many times you find the same bullet as sold for 9mm  sized differently.  Sometimes a different profile of the same weight which works good.  The Brazos 125g TC bullet for .38/.357  is an example of this.   It depends on how large the mfg. mold throws them. 

I can't find any of the sellers you have in America. I bet the starting diameter is around 358-360 so it wouldn't be too hard to find some 357-358 but literally nobody here is selling that diameter.

Some say .355 will work much better (less recoil, same accuracy) as jacketed bullets. I don't even know what to say. I hope I can find one which accepts that order.

I can't find any of the sellers you have in America. I bet the starting diameter is around 358-360 so it wouldn't be too hard to find some 357-358 but literally nobody here is selling that diameter.
Some say .355 will work much better (less recoil, same accuracy) as jacketed bullets. I don't even know what to say. I hope I can find one which accepts that order.

Common website in America for coated bullets are:

https://www.thebluebullets.com/mobile/default.aspx

http://www.acmebullet.com

http://www.bayoubullets.net

http://www.brazosprecision.com

I’m sure there are many I have missed, but generally these are the more popular ones

7 hours ago, xdf3 said:

If someone tells you a .355" coated bullet works better with less recoil, that's a pretty good sign not to believe anything else they say. 

What country are you in that is so hard to find .357" bullets? 

The advice to look for 357 Mag or 38 Special bullets is good; not all of them work but if you find the right nose profile, they should be the larger diameter that you want. 

22 hours ago, Yondering said:

If someone tells you a .355" coated bullet works better with less recoil, that's a pretty good sign not to believe anything else they say. 

What country are you in that is so hard to find .357" bullets? 

The advice to look for 357 Mag or 38 Special bullets is good; not all of them work but if you find the right nose profile, they should be the larger diameter that you want. 

I live in Italy. I can find .357 or .358 bullets but they're for that caliber so the weight is usually in the 145-160 range or they cost much more.

Nobody asks for 124 / 357, and nobody produces them, and people believe 356 is the proper diameter for lead/color coated. Some have started using 355 for coated saying it will work better.

That someone uses a manometric barrel to test various things like pressure, accuracy and such stuff but I have no access to such data.

I will try to ask some manifacturers for different diameters, maybe some "companies" won't do it, but a single person selling will. 

21 hours ago, xdf3 said:

I live in Italy. I can find .357 or .358 bullets but they're for that caliber so the weight is usually in the 145-160 range or they cost much more.

Nobody asks for 124 / 357, and nobody produces them, and people believe 356 is the proper diameter for lead/color coated. Some have started using 355 for coated saying it will work better.

That someone uses a manometric barrel to test various things like pressure, accuracy and such stuff but I have no access to such data.

I will try to ask some manifacturers for different diameters, maybe some "companies" won't do it, but a single person selling will. 

Many bullet makers sell 125gr/38 RN/TC .357"/.358" coated here in the US, not 124gr but pretty damn close.

I buy them at .358" for both 9mm and 38, and push them thru a Lee sizing die for what I need and have way less inventory that way.

I also buy no-groove bullets as they feed better thru a bullet feeding die.

Here's a few, too heavy to export though:

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1830.htm

https://precisionbullets.com/product/38-125-fp/

😀

Edit: This stuff, I may have posted this info in this thread already and apologize for the repeat.

Edited by Kenstone

1 hour ago, Kenstone said:

Many bullet makers sell 125gr/38 RN/TC .357"/.358" coated here in the US, not 124gr but pretty damn close.

I buy them at .358" for both 9mm and 38, and push them thru a Lee sizing die for what I need and have way less inventory that way.

I also buy no-groove bullets as they feed better thru a bullet feeding die.

Here's a few, too heavy to export though:

https://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1830.htm

https://precisionbullets.com/product/38-125-fp/

😀

Edit: This stuff, I may have posted this info in this thread already and apologize for the repeat.

For those prices, plus the fact that they don't include international shipping (and costs would be even higher if they would), I think I could easily find somebody do make some of these .357/358 and pay a little more.

Well I don't care about 123-126 differences, but if it's 147 there will be a difference. Since I want to try it, I'll ask for specific .357/358 bullets and see how it goes

4 hours ago, xdf3 said:

For those prices, plus the fact that they don't include international shipping (and costs would be even higher if they would), I think I could easily find somebody do make some of these .357/358 and pay a little more.

Well I don't care about 123-126 differences, but if it's 147 there will be a difference. Since I want to try it, I'll ask for specific .357/358 bullets and see how it goes

I didn't post about those bullets for you to consider BUYING them, just to show they are readily available here in the US.

I'm not familiar with bullet sellers in Italy but I have to believe 125gr 38 bullets .357"/.358" are available where you live.

Just not sold as 9mm bullets...

😀