Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Coated 124’s recommendation

oteroman

i can look into 135 gr.   There are 135 round nose bevel base and 135 rn flat point square base.  Lube groove and no lube groove.  Y’all let me know and I’ll see if we can get the moulds ordered.  It’s nearly a $1000 investment so I’d like to get it right.  

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered 1,000 lbs. of 9mm Brazos bullets.
95gr
125gr.
147gr.

Only shot the 147’s in Nordic PCC
Tight 1 hole groups at 25 yards benched 2moa red dot.

I was not in a hurry and told them so.

Very happy.

Brazos sent my order for 125s in less than a week. 

But, SnS, and ACME both got my orders of 125s and 124s (ACME) RN also in about a week. 

I tried all three brands and in order of preference in my Stock 2 (accuracy, ease of loading, OAL, etc.) SnS, Brazos, ACME. The accuracy of the ACME 124s was slightly less than the other two at 25 yards no matter what velocity I shot them at. SnS and Brazos grouped similar. 

I’ll add these figures to help you decide:
SnS 125 averaged 126 grains on my scale, Brazos 125  were 125 and ACME 123.6. The bearing surface of the ACME bullets was smaller than the former two, which probably contributed to the difference in accuracy. I had to adjust my MBF a bit more for the SnS to feed properly (not upside down). Since I ran them first the other two fed perfectly through the feeder. 

Hope all this helps. 

Quick thought popped into my head. Do you substitute all these coated 125s over the same charge and see similar PF, or have you seen a need to adjust loads?

6 hours ago, jmtyndall said:

Quick thought popped into my head. Do you substitute all these coated 125s over the same charge and see similar PF, or have you seen a need to adjust loads?

Good question. I used the same 4.0 grains of SP for all the bullets to compare velocities. The SnS averaged 35 FPS slower while the Acmes and Brazos were very close to the same. I bumped up the Acme after initial test to 4.1 and picked up the speed but not the accuracy. BTW at 4.0 grains of SP the PF for Acme and Brazos averaged 127 and the SnS was 124.  All shot from a Stock 2. 

The PF was based on average weight of 5 bullets from each brand. 

Remember each gun gun shoots the same bullets different 

On 4/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, Lightfoot said:

i can look into 135 gr.   There are 135 round nose bevel base and 135 rn flat point square base.  Lube groove and no lube groove.  Y’all let me know and I’ll see if we can get the moulds ordered.  It’s nearly a $1000 investment so I’d like to get it right.  

I would buy either, but like the flat point as first choice. Thanks.

Round nose bevel base no lube groove.

The biggest issue for a lot of us is the ogive or how long the shoulder is.

CZ, tanfoglio and walthers have a very short lede causing us to load shorter than we would like with most coated bullets.

I ordered some (100+ lbs[emoji16]) 125 and 145 from you to try out.

I can't wait.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, je85 said:

Round nose bevel base no lube groove.

The biggest issue for a lot of us is the ogive or how long the shoulder is.

CZ, tanfoglio and walthers have a very short lede causing us to load shorter than we would like with most coated bullets.

I ordered some (100+ lbsemoji16.png) 125 and 145 from you to try out.

I can't wait.

I'll bet you'll be able to load those 125's out as long as you like. I can go to 1.15 no problem in my unthroated CZ's. 

I'll bet you'll be able to load those 125's out as long as you like. I can go to 1.15 no problem in my unthroated CZ's. 
That's the plan. I'm not sure about the 145's.
I'll post when I try them.

The 125s have a shoulder, not quite SWC depth, but it gets the nose down under bore diameter. 

My Bayous of that profile measure only 0.340".  I load them to 1.14" largely because that lets me use the same seating die setting for several different bullets.  OALs vary because of nose to seating plug contact, but they all work.  The 135 BBI is marginal in my Plastic M&P, though.  I'll shoot the remainder in SA.  So the similar rather blunt RN of the 147 might give interference in short throated guns.   

It looks like almost everybody uses Magma casters.  So you are buying the same styles on price, accuracy, sport support, or old boy network.  And maybe color. 

It seems like the lube groove is why we can load so long, so if the accuracy is there I'd prefer a lube groove on all my 9mm bullets. I'm able to load way longer with the Brazos 125 gr line groove, like everyone else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The lube groove isnt the reason. Theres a small shoulder just below the nose of the bullet so the nose shape is a smaller diameter than 0.356"

The thinner nose profile probably gets the bullet past the start of your rifling

Received my order from Brazo's last week, bullets look great. Like the sealed bags they came in, but they need to put a little more packaging tape around the boxes. One of my boxes was busted open on one side when the post office delivered them. I loaded the 150 SWC's up tested them with sport pistol today. 3.2 gr of Sport Pistol at 1.140 shot best. 2.13" at 25 yds in TSO from Ransom Rest. 899 avg FPS 138.4 PF. I want to test with Tightgroup next. Nice clean holes and worked in all my 9mm's at that length.

Received my order from Brazo's last week, bullets look great. Like the sealed bags they came in, but they need to put a little more packaging tape around the boxes. One of my boxes was busted open on one side when the post office delivered them. I loaded the 150 SWC's up tested them with sport pistol today. 3.2 gr of Sport Pistol at 1.140 shot best. 2.13" at 25 yds in TSO from Ransom Rest. 899 avg FPS 138.4 PF. I want to test with Tightgroup next. Nice clean holes and worked in all my 9mm's at that length.
Please share your results with TG. Very interested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The lube groove isnt the reason. Theres a small shoulder just below the nose of the bullet so the nose shape is a smaller diameter than 0.356"

The thinner nose profile probably gets the bullet past the start of your rifling
Have you ever seen a 9mm bullet with no lube grooves, that also has the shoulder? That's what I mean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Darrell said:

We are taping the box completely in all 3 (l,w,h) directions.  We are about to start shrink wrapping the box to see if that improves the durability.  USPS flat rate boxes are the only way we can ship affordably.  It's too bad they don't take better care of the boxes.  Honestly it's like they try to bust them open because they are mad that they are so heavy.   

5 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

We are taping the box completely in all 3 (l,w,h) directions.  We are about to start shrink wrapping the box to see if that improves the durability.  USPS flat rate boxes are the only way we can ship affordably.  It's too bad they don't take better care of the boxes.  Honestly it's like they try to bust them open because they are mad that they are so heavy.   

My usual mailman knows I get bullets and will put them by the door, but I've caught several especially women put a note on my door saying no one was home so I have to pick the item up at the post office. I'm usually in the computer room watching them and when they come around the other side of the street I bust them. I've called and complained to the post master and he says they are supposed to handle up to 50 pounds. The last time that happened the postmaster made the woman come and apologize. She claimed she just missed it but I knew that was a lie. 

3 hours ago, Darrell said:

My usual mailman knows I get bullets and will put them by the door, but I've caught several especially women put a note on my door saying no one was home so I have to pick the item up at the post office. I'm usually in the computer room watching them and when they come around the other side of the street I bust them. I've called and complained to the post master and he says they are supposed to handle up to 50 pounds. The last time that happened the postmaster made the woman come and apologize. She claimed she just missed it but I knew that was a lie. 

They have to be able to lift 70 pounds, I make them bring them back as well.

I really miss the timely, reliable shipment of bullets back when UPS handled them all.  I am waiting for a bullet shipment;  It left the bullet maker April 19 and went through the Memphis, TN distribution center and got to Oxford, MS (my hometown) April 21.  It sat there for four days, and now just went back to the Memphis, TN regional distribution center 75 miles away.  Who knows why and when they might get back here, haha.   Only a gov't granted monopoly could be that inefficient and still be in business.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else getting lead buildup from their 124gr Brazos bullets? 

First of all, they are damn accurate bullets, but after about 600 I'm looking down the barrel of a new pistol and seeing a lot of lead buildup.  Pulled about 10 already loaded rounds and the paint isn't scraping off when I load them and the crimp isn't too tight.  I do notice however that some of the coating doesn't seem to go into the lube groove.  Could this be the source of my buildup.  Looking for a solution since I have about 5000 more of these babies and I like how accurate they are.

14 minutes ago, chenault said:

Is anyone else getting lead buildup from their 124gr Brazos bullets? 

First of all, they are damn accurate bullets, but after about 600 I'm looking down the barrel of a new pistol and seeing a lot of lead buildup.  Pulled about 10 already loaded rounds and the paint isn't scraping off when I load them and the crimp isn't too tight.  I do notice however that some of the coating doesn't seem to go into the lube groove.  Could this be the source of my buildup.  Looking for a solution since I have about 5000 more of these babies and I like how accurate they are.

Get some chore boy and rap it around a cleaning brush, it will get the lead out

this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=Chore+Boy®+Ultimate+Copper+Scrubbers&qid=1557110486&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Or get a Lewis Lead Remover

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

It will remove the lead with a couple of pulls thru the barrel

You'll be good for another 600 shots.

A long standing internet myth is shooting some jacketed bullets thru it will remove the lead...worth a try.

😎

2 minutes ago, Kenstone said:

Get some chore boy and rap it around a cleaning brush, it will get the lead out

this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Pad-2ct/dp/B006K3XS5A/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=Chore+Boy®+Ultimate+Copper+Scrubbers&qid=1557110486&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Or get a Lewis Lead Remover

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

It will remove the lead with a couple of pulls thru the barrel

You'll be good for another 600 shots.

A long standing internet myth is shooting some jacketed bullets thru it will remove the lead...worth a try.

😎

Right, the Lewis Lead remover is what I'm going to use, but what I really care about is the leading issue.  I go through about 600 most weeks, so I want to see if I can eliminate that.  I've never had this problem in the past. 

I've attached a couple pics below.  I took a random sampling of 10 and these in the photo all look like they didn't get lead in the groove.  Could that cause the leading issue.  Again, not trying to rip on the company, I would like to keep using their stuff, but I would also like to find a solution to this problem. 

Missed paint.jpg

51 minutes ago, chenault said:

Leading.jpg

Have you shot coated lead before from this gun?

What diameter bullets did you buy this time, the same as before?

Have you ever slugged the barrel?

These Brazos bullets might be too small or too soft.

Normally a coating negates the need of a harder bullet.

Have you contacted the bullet maker?

Might be a known "bad batch", you never will know unless you contact them.

I don't know of any way to change the load to lesson the leading other than increase/decrease the charge or try a different powder.

Maybe someone will come along with the right answer.

sorry I can't be of more help,

😑