Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Coated 124’s recommendation

oteroman

Yes, a lot of them are at the bullet. This one has a little bit on the bullet, but more at the bottom of the case. All of these cases passes case gauge before they were loaded

Sounds to me like you may have leading built up in front of the lands that is causing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you may have leading built up in front of the lands that is causing the problem.

I have an old OEM barrel I’m using to check my rounds that gets cleaned every time before I use it, sadly I don’t think that’s the issue either. Iv been hoping it was something simple for a while

11 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I have an old OEM barrel I’m using to check my rounds that gets cleaned every time before I use it, sadly I don’t think that’s the issue either. Iv been hoping it was something simple for a while

I was thinking the same as radny97 possibly, or maybe the freebore is tight in that test barrel.  Do the same rounds fail in the actual gun barrel you will shoot them in?

If we are strictly talking about bullet / land contact then logically it has to be either your bullets (QC) or your process that changed since you had successful results.  Brass is another matter and perhaps there are two overlapping issues.  That contact near the base is usually a sizing issue.   What might make sense here is a simple loose adjustment that is preventing the shell plate from moving high enough.  That could cause everything: unsized base of brass,  too long of an OAl, and undercrimp or not enough flare removal. 

I was thinking the same as radny97 possibly, or maybe the freebore is tight in that test barrel.  Do the same rounds fail in the actual gun barrel you will shoot them in?

If we are strictly talking about bullet / land contact then logically it has to be either your bullets (QC) or your process that changed since you had successful results.  Brass is another matter and perhaps there are two overlapping issues.  That contact near the base is usually a sizing issue.   What might make sense here is a simple loose adjustment that is preventing the shell plate from moving high enough.  That could cause everything: unsized base of brass,  too long of an OAl, and undercrimp or not enough flare removal. 

Yes, until very recently I was shooting them out of all OEM Glock barrels and the one I use to test is ever so slightly tighter in other ones, so maybe 1 of 10 or 15 that fails my check barrel would actually pass the barrels they’re being shot out of.

So I’m using a lee decapping/resizing die and it’s pretty much maxed out, there’s already a decent amount of cam over. But as I mentioned earlier, all of these cases were gauged before loading and any cases that are a little out get tossed, so it’s something that is happening during seating if it’s the base of the case and not the bullet hitting the lands.
Should I get an noe expander (or other) to try? I don’t think the lee expander die does much past the mouth of the case

1 minute ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Yes, until very recently I was shooting them out of all OEM Glock barrels and the one I use to test is ever so slightly tighter in other ones, so maybe 1 of 10 or 15 that fails my check barrel would actually pass the barrels they’re being shot out of.

So I’m using a lee decapping/resizing die and it’s pretty much maxed out, there’s already a decent amount of cam over. But as I mentioned earlier, all of these cases were gauged before loading and any cases that are a little out get tossed, so it’s something that is happening during seating if it’s the base of the case and not the bullet hitting the lands.
Should I get an noe expander (or other) to try? I don’t think the lee expander die does much past the mouth of the case

The spot on the case that you indicated in the photo is way lower than the base of any bullet would seat.  What do you mean by "maxed out"?   Sizing die should be just off the shell plate.  When you say gauge before loading, do you load on a single stage?   If your loading long 147g  .357 lead coated with minimal expansion you may have swagging issues as well. 

The spot on the case that you indicated in the photo is way lower than the base of any bullet would seat.  What do you mean by "maxed out"?   Sizing die should be just off the shell plate.  When you say gauge before loading, do you load on a single stage?   If your loading long 147g  .357 lead coated with minimal expansion you may have swagging issues as well. 

I process all my brass on a Hornady LNL, but then I wet tumble with pins so when I check my brass for pins after tumbling I toss them in the gauge since I’m handling them anyways. I know I don’t need to, but I have the time to do it so it doesn’t bother me.

I measure my bullets when I check the crimp, and the bullet is not getting swaged.

I have resize die set to have a slight cam effect, but any more would be too much cam so I can’t put the die any further to hit the bottom of the case any more.

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I process all my brass on a Hornady LNL, but then I wet tumble with pins so when I check my brass for pins after tumbling I toss them in the gauge since I’m handling them anyways. I know I don’t need to, but I have the time to do it so it doesn’t bother me.

I measure my bullets when I check the crimp, and the bullet is not getting swaged.

I have resize die set to have a slight cam effect, but any more would be too much cam so I can’t put the die any further to hit the bottom of the case any more.

I too have an LNL, but I decap dirty brass on a single stage before going into the FART with Brass Juice.  After that its all on the LNL.  It sounds to me like your not fully sizing the case.  That die has to go down to the shell plate.  I don't know about the Lee sizing die but I had trouble with the Lee universal flare die adjusting low enough with the NOE expander, I had to modify the die body (taper the end) so it would fit in the recess of the shell plate.  Also, the Lee is a bit short on threads for adjustment in the LNL with the collet system.  I much prefer the Hornady dies.  LNL is sloppy out of the box but runs great when tuned by shimming out the play in a few spots.  I would get another sizing die or do whatever to be sure your fully sizing that case, readjust your other dies, and take it from there.