Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you load 9mm major from twice fired shells that were light loads their first loading?

Adrenaline

When i firat started loading 9mm major i experimented a bit with it, and waw able to loaded the same cases that started out as once fired 5+ times with no real problems I did start to see some splits after that.  Now I shoot them once in practice and load them back up and shoot them at a match and leave them on the ground.

I load 9MAJOR over and over and over....................................and over. I have 10+ loadings on some brass. It will either split, not hold primers anymore, or you’ll lose it. Just pay attention to it and avoid junk brass and it lasts forever.

Do a search here for the subject. There are always some who won’t reuse it but most load it over and over

All of the matches I shoot are essentially lost brass matches.  So the only brass I recover is what goes into the brass catcher at practice.  That I clean and reuse.  I load major and minor, so if I cared about it, I'd load the practice brass minor.  I don't care, so I don't pay attention to it.

If you were doing something stupid like loading major with a fast powder, I'd say no.  If you think about it, major loads with 3N38, AA7 or Major pistol at 1.161" OAL are within SAAMI pressure specs, and for sure within +p pressure, so you really are not stressing the case more than you would firing a factory load.

Places I shoot have other activities and seemed to be used by lots of non reloaders or non brass picker uppers.
I tend to just randomly pick up enough brass waiting my turn to more than make up for what I have left on the ground during match.. 
Stuff I pick up and dont shoot like Super I leave on table. I mean I am not a constant brass hound,,, Show up early walk the stages, help set up a bit... And usually by meeting time have plenty of brass without trying.. Then come match time I shoot and dont worry about brass unless there is a good lull and I happen to see some.
Bad brass usually gets sorted during polishing, or if pocket is loose. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, 36873687 said:

I load it till it cracks or doesn’t pass hundo. 

+1

Speaking of cracks, I used to find a cracked case every month or so when I was shooting faster powders like True Blue due to the higher case pressures.

Since switching to slower powders like AA7, I haven't found a split case from my gun in 2 years now. That's with a healthy 10.6-10.8 grain charge under a 115 as well.

I thought I had loose primer pockets once last year, but it turned out my 1050 needed the primer depth increased .002" to work with all the mixed head stamp brass I put through it.

I think the answer is it dependents on how serious are you?  I wouldn't go to the Nationals with a load of kanker brass, nor for that matter the Gator Classic or any other major match.

But back to the original question.   Yes I would shoot twice minor loaded brass 9m.   When it comes to 9 major I let the brass vultures have mine, but I'll pick their brass up if they abandon it.

The first step in brass prep it to go over it with a magnet, some of them are not brass, a steel case will jam up the gun to the point it has to be hammered out with a rod.   Next to the tumbler, then to the case pro.   Once loaded every round is drop checked with Zero Tolerance, all the failures go in the practice bucket.   

I'm very good at my brass prep. I get it by the 1000 for 5 bucks. My friend owns an indoor range. I dry tumble and get it all clean then throw down 6 or 7 different containers and sort by head stamp. So far I definatly trust f.c. brass, winchester, r.p. as of recently, have a s#!t ton of blazer and a bunch of brass like gfl, and some other off brand. I think I should be able to use blazer. Haven't tried yet though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 3:12 AM, Absocold said:

As long as you're making sure not to load stepped brass, use it until you cannot use it.

What he said. I use picked up range brass, reuse Major loaded brass until it splits. Why wouldn’t you? Never, ever had an issue in 20+ years shooting USPSA