Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson PM7 Or Trophy Match?

chaserracer

I'm calling on you 1911 studs for some help making a tough purchase decision 🙏

• Option 1 is a Springfield Trophy Match 1911, less than 500rds through it, 4 mags included, looks to be in pristine condition. $900.00
  • Option 2 is a Dan Wesson PM7 1911, new in the box - unfired. Comes with 4 mags. $1300.00

The purpose of the purchase is purely USPSA Single Stack competition.

My immediate upgrades will include, techwell IPSC XT magwell, fiber front sight, techwell palm swell grips, and just some basic trigger work.

Your info/input is much appreciated!!

I'm calling on you 1911 studs for some help making a tough purchase decision [emoji120]
  • Option 1 is a Springfield Trophy Match 1911, less than 500rds through it, 4 mags included, looks to be in pristine condition. $900.00
  • Option 2 is a Dan Wesson PM7 1911, new in the box - unfired. Comes with 4 mags. $1300.00

The purpose of the purchase is purely USPSA Single Stack competition.
My immediate upgrades will include, techwell IPSC XT magwell, fiber front sight, techwell palm swell grips, and just some basic trigger work.

Your info/input is much appreciated!!
#1 for sure as these are both mass production 1911s. You'll have the extra money for mods as well as ammo. Springfield makes an exceptional off the shelf 1911. I have it in 45 and it's a tack driver

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You guys aren't making this any easier, but you are pretty much echoing my thoughts...Now that I have factored in the cost of 6 mag pouches, a holster/hanger combo, mags and basepads  I think the decision has made itself. If i could get the PM7 closer to $1000 it would be a done deal, but i think the SA TM is a fair pistol to try my hand at single stack.

I just want to be able to run the gun hard and often both in dyfire and live. If anyone has feedback on durability or issues with either of these pistols id be really interested to hear them - especially in relation to USPSA or comparable competition.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

I think you will be fine with either choice. As @CHA-LEE mentioned in another post re: 1911 reliability, the cost of the new gun vs. your all-in cost for competition (range time, accessories/upgrades, ammo, match fees and gas) is a drop in the bucket. I always use this logic to justify the slightly nicer gun ;) and I own 3 Dan Wessons. 

15 hours ago, RGC said:

Of the 2, DW...saving a few hundred dollars on the initial investment is quickly absorbed by the costs of the game....

...This very thing is what keeps me bouncing back and forth.

Another thing Im trying to consider is how easy or difficult it will be to find another one of either of these pistols when it comes time to start competing. As we all know, one is none, and two is just barely one so how big of a factor is that in the decision process when Im going to want a gun for practice and an identical gun for matches. As far as the internet has told me, the Springfield Trophy Match is discontinued so i would imagine that'd be the more difficult gun to find again (especially in California)

The struggle continues...

36 minutes ago, chaserracer said:

...This very thing is what keeps me bouncing back and forth.

Another thing Im trying to consider is how easy or difficult it will be to find another one of either of these pistols when it comes time to start competing. As we all know, one is none, and two is just barely one so how big of a factor is that in the decision process when Im going to want a gun for practice and an identical gun for matches. As far as the internet has told me, the Springfield Trophy Match is discontinued so i would imagine that'd be the more difficult gun to find again (especially in California)

The struggle continues...

So then looks like the decision is easy...DW.

BTW, I competed in Level 3's, internationally, and IPSC World shoot....dragged 2 pistols along but NEVER had to resort to using the back up, ...not even once.  Rebuilt a few items on occasion though, but not moving to back up entirely.  My back up was 'similar'in fire control parts, etc....enough so that I could move to it...but it was not identical, if that is of any use.

Thank you for all of your feedback, I have decided and will be making the purchase tonight for the Springfield Trophy Match. It just seemed the better deal with such a low round count, 5 mags, and lower price.

That being said, i was hoping you guys might be able to send some basic recommendations my way in terms of competition upgrades. Here is what i have planned on already.

• Fiber front sight
  • Magwell
  • Grips
  • Extended mag button (Sti is my preference)
  • Minor trigger work; Springs, polishing, etc.
  • Recoil spring for my loads

I am interested in getting a tooless guide rod, or any guide rod that is single piece and doesn't require a wrench to field strip. And also getting rid of the ILS mainspring housing, any recommendations on these would be greatly appreciated!

@jpm2953

@RGC @Norther

Fiber optic front- yep(Dawson)

magwell-yep(Dawson)

grips-yep(LOK)

extended mag button-yep(Dawson with STI paddle)

recoil spring-probably 14lb is a good guess.  

Just get a GI guide rod and plunger. No need to get fancy with that. 

My preferences? Dawson no gap magwell, Dawson 0.100” fiber front, VZ grips (I think they’re Diamondbacks) with thumb relief cut, 14# recoil spring. I prefer an extended mag release but no button. Not really happy with the Wilson one piece guide rod I’m using now, I think I’d go with the GI if I replace it. Had this one for a long time though. 

I own and have owned a handful of Springfield Armory 1911a1s, and have two DW 9mm 1911a1s. ( a PM9, and the commander-sized Guardian ) Just my opinion, get the PM7.  I've never been more satisfied with a 1911 than I have with either of the DWs, or my Colt Special Combat Gov't in .45ACP

• 2 weeks later...