Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

Ordered a T&N 14.25" handguard for my VR80. 

I'll let you guys know how it works out.  While I LOVE the slim style of the stock handguard, the M LOK limitations - despite being a mostly M LOK handguard - are a deal breaker for me.  You can't even use the middle M LOK slots because doing so will impede the piston.  And the heat from being so close to the piston is an issue as well.  The bottom of the handguard has no M LOK slotsfor a forend or anything else for that matter either.

Anyone have the T*N handguard?  If so, thoughts?

Edited by SuperTed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up a VR80 myself and getting started down this road of modding and making it work. Also for anyone interested in one, right now there’s a rebate for either $50 dollars or four free 9 round magazines if you purchase between October first and the end of the year. Ran 10 rounds through mine in the back yard Monday, and it cycled the heavier hunting loads fine but wasn’t enough with the light reloads. Gonna churn out a couple hundred hotter 1 1/8 loads and try to get it broken in within the next couple weeks. I noticed my trigger is actually really good compared to what you all are posting in here. I don’t know if something has changed or I got lucky, but I’m around 5-6 pounds and somewhat crisp straight out of the box. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, SuperTed said:

Ordered a T&N 14.25" handguard for my VR80. 

I'll let you guys know how it works out.  While I LOVE the slim style of the stock handguard, the M LOK limitations - despite being a mostly M LOK handguard - are a deal breaker for me.  You can't even use the middle M LOK slots because doing so will impede the piston.  And the heat from being so close to the piston is an issue as well.  The bottom of the handguard has no M LOK slotsfor a forend or anything else for that matter either.

Anyone have the T*N handguard?  If so, thoughts?

I have a couple of these handguards and am very happy with them. Solves the heat problems and makes it easier to mount stuff if your in to that sort of thing.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, inertia said:

I have a couple of these handguards and am very happy with them. Solves the heat problems and makes it easier to mount stuff if your in to that sort of thing.

I am! Do have the 14.25" or the 16.5" version(s)?

So far, I am happy as well.  I have a remote switch to an Olight Odin, a Magpul MLOK Angle grip and a MLOK QD Clip for my sling.

TBH, I haven't even shot the dang thing yet.  I was replacing the magazine release button with an extended version and ended up stripping the Magazine release screw and tearing the head off.  Been waiting on Advanced Tactical to get a screw in stock but it's been 4 weeks now and still nothing.  So I have a brand new VR80 I can't shoot because the magazine won't stay in.

Edited by SuperTed

On 10/16/2021 at 6:22 AM, JH1961 said:

Anyone know of a replacement handguard for the VR82? I imagine it suffers from the same issues.

Probably.   However, I don't know of any handguards for the VR82.  If it's the same profile as the VR80, maybe the ones at Tooth and Nail will work?  You can call the to find out.  They're very responsive.  A3gMunitions might have some too.

Looking at the pictures of the VR82 it looks awfully similar to the VR80 handguard.  It just might work.  

7 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

I am! Do have the 14.25" or the 16.5" version(s)?

So far, I am happy as well.  I have a remote switch to an Olight Odin, a Magpul MLOK Angle grip and a MLOK QD Clip for my sling.

TBH, I haven't even shot the dang thing yet.  I was replacing the magazine release button with an extended version and ended up stripping the Magazine release screw and tearing the head off.  Been waiting on Advanced Tactical to get a screw in stock but it's been 4 weeks now and still nothing.  So I have a brand new VR80 I can't shoot because the magazine won't stay in.

I have the shorter one, more than long enough unless you have very long arms. They add a little weight so no reason to go longer than necessary. In competitive 3 gun I try to keep the handguards completely empty but can't imagine anything having more slots than those things. One important note T&N doesn't really mention and is hard to describe but is a big deal is how the retaining method allows some degree of float to the system which I can say in my experience is really great for slug accuracy.

1 hour ago, inertia said:

I have the shorter one, more than long enough unless you have very long arms. They add a little weight so no reason to go longer than necessary. In competitive 3 gun I try to keep the handguards completely empty but can't imagine anything having more slots than those things. One important note T&N doesn't really mention and is hard to describe but is a big deal is how the retaining method allows some degree of float to the system which I can say in my experience is really great for slug accuracy.

Very cool with the float. 

Do you still use the barrel shroud that came with the rifle?  I noticed that the shroud is not flush with the end of the barrel anymore on the T&N handguard like it was on the stock one.  The shroud sits about 1/8" higher or so.  Is that the case with you too?  Just want to be sure if that is supposed to be the case or not.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, JH1961 said:

I've got a VR 82 in 20ga coming home soon! I caught a deal on 10-rd mags from AdvsncedTactical. 😁 Now to figure out a way to carry them on my plate carrier. I'm hoping M14 mag pouches will work. Fingers crossed!

Mag pouches for anything other than the 5 rounders are a real pain in the ass. I would recommend you look at the mag hooks from Dissident Arms or the Hayes set up from Advanced Tactical. I use the simple mag hooks and they work great. They just slid down over your belt and you can position them anywhere that is best for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 6:17 PM, SuperTed said:

Very cool with the float. 

Do you still use the barrel shroud that came with the rifle?  I noticed that the shroud is not flush with the end of the barrel anymore on the T&N handguard like it was on the stock one.  The shroud sits about 1/8" higher or so.  Is that the case with you too?  Just want to be sure if that is supposed to be the case or not.

Shroud is dead weight for me so I stick with a modified barrel nut that I slotted so I can tighten it from above.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, IHMSA15151 said:

Mag pouches for anything other than the 5 rounders are a real pain in the ass. I would recommend you look at the mag hooks from Dissident Arms or the Hayes set up from Advanced Tactical. I use the simple mag hooks and they work great. They just slid down over your belt and you can position them anywhere that is best for you.

You can run these mag hooks tucked in your belt, but we have found they fit perfect in a .223 kydex mag pouch/holder that we run for 3-gun.

gerritm

On 11/8/2021 at 5:06 AM, gerritm said:

You can run these mag hooks tucked in your belt, but we have found they fit perfect in a .223 kydex mag pouch/holder that we run for 3-gun.

gerritm

Double duty, excellent, I'll have to try that this weekend.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:52 AM, Wvaughn7 said:

Just picked up a VR80 myself and getting started down this road of modding and making it work. Also for anyone interested in one, right now there’s a rebate for either $50 dollars or four free 9 round magazines if you purchase between October first and the end of the year. Ran 10 rounds through mine in the back yard Monday, and it cycled the heavier hunting loads fine but wasn’t enough with the light reloads. Gonna churn out a couple hundred hotter 1 1/8 loads and try to get it broken in within the next couple weeks. I noticed my trigger is actually really good compared to what you all are posting in here. I don’t know if something has changed or I got lucky, but I’m around 5-6 pounds and somewhat crisp straight out of the box. 

How quick were they on getting back to you about the rebate?

I’m not sure of exact time, but I bought the gun and put the rebate information in the same day and had the mags in the mail without notice of shipping or anything a little over three weeks later. It took a couple days to approve the rebate form and I ordered the mags that same night it was approved and maybe two weeks from then including shipping.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, SuperTed said:

Probably.   However, I don't know of any handguards for the VR82.  If it's the same profile as the VR80, maybe the ones at Tooth and Nail will work?  You can call the to find out.  They're very responsive.  A3gMunitions might have some too.

Looking at the pictures of the VR82 it looks awfully similar to the VR80 handguard.  It just might work.  

On 10/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, SuperTed said:

Thnx! Happy New Year!

On 10/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, IHMSA15151 said:

Thnx! I'm not a 'gamer", so my interests are more 'practicak/tactical' (former LEO). I found what I needed from TigrisOne. Their 7.62NATO 3-mag pouch fits the 10-rd mags perfectly and works well with plate carriers.

Edited by JH1961

I get by with 308 mag holders in 3 Gun but I wouldn't be surprised if those mag clips will be better at times. Depends on how you'll use them and if it's on a stage then how it is laid out.  

Depending on what you're doing the drum mags are very nice. I can't use them in events in New Jersey but in one stage in Pennsylvania with 29 shotgun targets I only had to reload once. 

Between matches I keep a about 16 rounds of buckshot in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else have issue reloading the 9 and 19 round magazines.  I have just received my VR80 back from the work I had done to it, and the last couple of rounds are a bear to load.  Also I noted substantial denting of the previous loaded round below the round I am trying to load.  Does this lead to feeding issues?  

Something to note is the only ammo I have used is Federal, and Herters ammo.  I have noted the bottom of the shell that is brass is really short.  This seems to be where the hang up is, in that the new round dents the soft case prior to reaching the metal base of the shell.  

It there a trick to loading these magazines to make it easier and where you are not potentially damaging the previous loaded rounds?

I have read most of this thread but I do not recall anyone discussing these issues.

Thank in advance.

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is anyone else have issue reloading the 9 and 19 round magazines.  I have just received my VR80 back from the work I had done to it, and the last couple of rounds are a bear to load.  Also I noted substantial denting of the previous loaded round below the round I am trying to load.  Does this lead to feeding issues?  

Something to note is the only ammo I have used is Federal, and Herters ammo.  I have noted the bottom of the shell that is brass is really short.  This seems to be where the hang up is, in that the new round dents the soft case prior to reaching the metal base of the shell.  

It there a trick to loading these magazines to make it easier and where you are not potentially damaging the previous loaded rounds?

I have read most of this thread but I do not recall anyone discussing these issues.

Thank in advance.

Buy a mag loader, it presses down in the brass part of the shell, and holds it until the case being inserted is nearly all the way in. Makes life much easier.

3 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

They're cheap, and worth twice the cost.

Yup, already ordered before you posted the link.

3 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Also, 9 round mags easily become 10 round mags by removing the fin on the baseplate retainer thing.

I also ran into this video looking for the Shotgun mag loader.  Can you get 20 in the 19 round magazine doing the same thing?