Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine out today for the first time. Ran great on Fiocci #7.5 but any time I tried to load it 5+1 it would choke trying to eject the first round. If I ran it with just the 5 in the mag it was fine. Anyone else have this issue?

I had mine out today for the first time. Ran great on Fiocci #7.5 but any time I tried to load it 5+1 it would choke trying to eject the first round. If I ran it with just the 5 in the mag it was fine. Anyone else have this issue?
Break the gun/mag in more

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, IntenseImage said:

I need someone with more time to come shoot it for me. 😉 I will admit though it ran well with mediocre inexpensive ammo, the light piston and a modified choke. 

Took mine out for a little break in and some testing last night.  Ended up shooting 250 rounds which was pretty painful considering I still only have 5 round mags.  Birdshot only...no slugs yet.  I had mixed results.  Any high brass or fast game load type shell worked well and the recoil wasn't bad.  I shot some Walmart Winchester(1200 fps) and some super x at 1290 fps but it would not consistently run with them.  It seemed like the bolt was not going back far enough to strip the next round off with the lighter loads.  I also had a couple bad jams where the front third of the shell gets smashed into the chamber and is jammed between the mag and the bolt.  Have to pull really hard on the mag to get it out but then it is easily cleared.  Makes me think i need to tune my mags a bit as well.  Overall, I am pleased with the gun.  Need to try and figure out what its favorite food is and then we will be happy.  

Here is a thought for you guys.  What if a guy ran shells that were a little hotter (1300-1500) with the heavy piston installed.  I assume it would bleed off more gas and therefore might equal out the increased recoil of those rounds.  Plus, you would have shells that cycled 100%.  Any thoughts on this??

3 minutes ago, VU2AKILL said:

Took mine out for a little break in and some testing last night.  Ended up shooting 250 rounds which was pretty painful considering I still only have 5 round mags.  Birdshot only...no slugs yet.  I had mixed results.  Any high brass or fast game load type shell worked well and the recoil wasn't bad.  I shot some Walmart Winchester(1200 fps) and some super x at 1290 fps but it would not consistently run with them.  It seemed like the bolt was not going back far enough to strip the next round off with the lighter loads.  I also had a couple bad jams where the front third of the shell gets smashed into the chamber and is jammed between the mag and the bolt.  Have to pull really hard on the mag to get it out but then it is easily cleared.  Makes me think i need to tune my mags a bit as well.  Overall, I am pleased with the gun.  Need to try and figure out what its favorite food is and then we will be happy.  

Here is a thought for you guys.  What if a guy ran shells that were a little hotter (1300-1500) with the heavy piston installed.  I assume it would bleed off more gas and therefore might equal out the increased recoil of those rounds.  Plus, you would have shells that cycled 100%.  Any thoughts on this??

Are you running the gun wet ? You need some more break in time. Did you order some larger cap mags ?

7 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Are you running the gun wet ? You need some more break in time. Did you order some larger cap mags ?

Dry piston but the bolt and such was wet enough to ruin a sweat shirt with flying lube!!  ha ha.  I have a couple 19s coming this week and am searching for a couple 9 rounders.  My M3K took several hundred rounds before it started working good so I will be patient.  How many rounds are you guys thinking before you could assume it was broke in??

Dry piston but the bolt and such was wet enough to ruin a sweat shirt with flying lube!!  ha ha.  I have a couple 19s coming this week and am searching for a couple 9 rounders.  My M3K took several hundred rounds before it started working good so I will be patient.  How many rounds are you guys thinking before you could assume it was broke in??
After a flat of shells mine absolutely was. I think after about 100 it was already g2g

The stuff that wasn't running well ... 1-1/8oz or 1oz? The gun tends to like heavier payload at lower speeds or the 1oz when going over 1200 (1300 seemed to be good)

Also the factory spring goes solid before the buffer can contact the end of the buffer tube. This I think plays a role in how well they run early on. The buffer from Taccom solves this

8 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

The stuff that wasn't running well ... 1-1/8oz or 1oz? The gun tends to like heavier payload at lower speeds or the 1oz when going over 1200

Shot a bunch of 1 1/8 oz stuff.  Specifically, Winchester Super X 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot at 1280.  What exact shell are you running??  I am sure it is mentioned somewhere in here but...

Edited by VU2AKILL

Shot a bunch of 1 1/8 oz stuff.  Specifically, Winchester Super X 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot at 1280.  What exact shell are you running??  I am sure it is mentioned somewhere in here but...
I would have thought the super x would have run for you.

I typically run Remington Clay and Field or Fiocchi 3GJM stuff ... Both 7.5s, 1-1/8th doing 1200.

I've ran lighter and slower loads in testing. To this day, the Fiocchi 1oz doing 1150 light strikes for some reason but cycles when it does pop. The Gun Club 1-1/8 doing 1145 runs all day

I got my 19 round Tooth and Nail mag in this week.  I ran through it 4 times with zero issues.  Fit and finish are excellent.  ran Win AA 1250 fps 7.5.  didn't do as well with my promag drum.  wouldn't feed.  I'm assuming it probably sits a little lower in the magwell and needs some trimming. I'll have to work on it.  I have 4, 9 rounders from RIA, all work without issues. So far I'm very happy with it. 

2 minutes ago, BBoyd said:

I got my 19 round Tooth and Nail mag in this week.  I ran through it 4 times with zero issues.  Fit and finish are excellent.  ran Win AA 1250 fps 7.5.  didn't do as well with my promag drum.  wouldn't feed.  I'm assuming it probably sits a little lower in the magwell and needs some trimming. I'll have to work on it.  I have 4, 9 rounders from RIA, all work without issues. So far I'm very happy with it. 

I still havent heard anything about my tooth order. I keep emailing them and keep getting run of the mill answers 

1 minute ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

They come with a set of three. Modified is in the tube to begin with

I have the factory chokes but wasn't sure about the thread pattern

On 4/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, IntenseImage said:

take a fine file and break all the inside edges of the mag lips, then polish them with a cratex tip in a dremel.  you'll be amazed at how easy shells come off the mags.

I got 2 9rd mags in today. Modified them for 10rds and polished the feed lips. The springs are unbelievably stiff. I loaded them with 10rds and plan to leave them for several days. 

Any idea why they need to be so strong?

Edited by hump
Spelling