Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

Speaking of video...I’d like to see a video of what the baseplate of a 9 round magazine that has been modified to a 10 rounder looks like.  I took one apart just to see what everyone has been talking about but would like to see exactly how much to cut off. 
Cut a shells width off that spike or just cut it flush w off

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, IntenseImage said:

Replace the factory tower with a RIA 2rd mag, smooth out the transition and make any clearance cuts to get the back cover on w the new tower

mine worked without any mods.  some mag wells may not allow it without trimming the well or the upper part of the drum.  

someone has to make something to change chokes on this thing.  unscrewing the comp in a match and then "timing" it after swapping chokes is gonna suck.
There is supposed to be a factory option coming

13 hours ago, outerlimits said:

someone has to make something to change chokes on this thing.  unscrewing the comp in a match and then "timing" it after swapping chokes is gonna suck.

why would you ever need to change to anything other than modified.

its literally great for everything except knocking multiple targets down at close range, but who cares about that when you can just take a few more shots

I had Firebird build me an open shotgun, when they first started. It is pre-XN, with the mid barrel comp.

I shot it with, and without the comp, and there is a difference, but, I also put mercury, recoil reducers, in the buffer tube, to help reduce recoil even more.

It had a lot of teething issues, but, Jim & Nancy gave me outstanding service.

Due to personal issues, I haven't been shooting 3-gun for the last 5-6 years, but, I want to start again, and HATE going to any big match without backup guns.

The VR80 looks like a really good option, compared to having another "custom" shotgun built.

They appear to be much simpler to take apart, to clean, and with the set screws holding the barrel to the upper receiver should result in smaller groups, with slugs.

I already have a pile of magazines, but, have learned that with box magazines, to only shoot ammo with good, stiff hulls, and/or keep ammo in a cooler, so they don't oval out, being stacked in the magazine, under pressure. Another issue is possible rimlock. That is where the rim, of the top round somehow jumps behind the shell underneath it. I've never had an issue with rimlock, while shooting, but, have found it, several times, when unloading, partially used magazines. It would seem that a good drum magazine would resolve the issues of box magazines, but, have never really had much luck with Promag, pistol magazines. 

Has anybody had the issue of the bolt shaving aluminum, from the upper receiver, on their VR80s, like the early MKA1919s did?

2 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I had Firebird build me an open shotgun, when they first started. It is pre-XN, with the mid barrel comp.

I shot it with, and without the comp, and there is a difference, but, I also put mercury, recoil reducers, in the buffer tube, to help reduce recoil even more.

It had a lot of teething issues, but, Jim & Nancy gave me outstanding service.

Due to personal issues, I haven't been shooting 3-gun for the last 5-6 years, but, I want to start again, and HATE going to any big match without backup guns.

The VR80 looks like a really good option, compared to having another "custom" shotgun built.

They appear to be much simpler to take apart, to clean, and with the set screws holding the barrel to the upper receiver should result in smaller groups, with slugs.

I already have a pile of magazines, but, have learned that with box magazines, to only shoot ammo with good, stiff hulls, and/or keep ammo in a cooler, so they don't oval out, being stacked in the magazine, under pressure. Another issue is possible rimlock. That is where the rim, of the top round somehow jumps behind the shell underneath it. I've never had an issue with rimlock, while shooting, but, have found it, several times, when unloading, partially used magazines. It would seem that a good drum magazine would resolve the issues of box magazines, but, have never really had much luck with Promag, pistol magazines. 

Has anybody had the issue of the bolt shaving aluminum, from the upper receiver, on their VR80s, like the early MKA1919s did?

Personally I only had that issue with some cheap 1150 fps stuff that my buddy had. I think it was some type of Winchester. As soon as we switched to less cheap, higher velocity stuff I never had the problem again 

Thanks for the information.

I have heavier loads That I'll use for trap, or sporting clays, but, I pretty much run nothing but 1145fps, for 3-gun, but, stick with higher end stuff like Remington STS, or Federal, but, it took a little tuning, and I believe that my Firebird, even with the recoil reducers is lighter than VR80, so the recoil may be about similar. If I remember correctly, at a few matches, where they had a "spinner"target, guys were going out and buying turkey loads, but, with the Firebird, and whimp loads, I'd just double tap, and then hit the other end, to get it to spin.

I was just looking at some of the places that are out of stock, on the 19 round magazines, and see that they are listed as 2 3/4" only.

That may solve the rimlock issue, because there's less room for the shells to go back and forth.

3 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

why would you ever need to change to anything other than modified.

its literally great for everything except knocking multiple targets down at close range, but who cares about that when you can just take a few more shots

Shoot enuf 3 gun and you will see.  

Picked up a new VR80 Friday afternoon from a local store.  Now if I could just come up with some decent capacity magazines.  Looking for 9 and/or 19 rounders if anyone has a surplus.  Ha ha.  Pretty cool gun overall.  Taking it out for a good break in session tonight or tomorrow.

Just got two 19 rd mags from advanced. I can finally go to the range and do some videos

I finally got a shipping confirmation this morning for mine. And I ordered them the same day that they got them. Seems that they misplaced my order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, reballz said:

I finally got a shipping confirmation this morning for mine. And I ordered them the same day that they got them. Seems that they misplaced my order.

Dont worry I have an order like that from tooth and nail with some 28 rd mags and more 19s and 10s

2 hours ago, reballz said:

How long did it take to get a confirmation??  I ordered some 19 rounders when they were in stock and have not heard a peep about them shipping.  I have emailed sales a couple times to see if I actually was lucky enough to get a couple but no answer yet.  Frustrating and terrible customer service in my opinion!!

How long did it take to get a confirmation??  I ordered some 19 rounders when they were in stock and have not heard a peep about them shipping.  I have emailed sales a couple times to see if I actually was lucky enough to get a couple but no answer yet.  Frustrating and terrible customer service in my opinion!!

They emailed me saying they were busy with the nra show.

Email them at sales@advancedtactical.hs-inbox.com make sure to include your order number.

Theres a local match may 6th. I believe that's where I'll debut my open division domination 

I’ll be there but you won’t see me. I’ll be in camo. #magheist