Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

I thought the same thing. If you have a magazine that doesn’t drop free, then you can disengage the mag, insert the stage saver and close the bolt. 

But I want my magazine to drop free! So no stage saver for me.

With no mag in the gun it's almost impossible to use a MatchSaver since the shell will fall through the magwell unless you have the gun fully rolled on it's side which is just odd.

With a mag in the gun, if you keep your BHO tab then you can't drop the bolt easily.

With a mag in the gun, if you remove the BHO tab then you need to hold the bolt open while pulling that MatchSaver round in.

Just doing a reload is faster

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IntenseImage said:

How does one use a match saver with w mag fed shotgun. You need BHO to lock open to be able to pull that round in, but then the mag catch is still activated due to the empty mag being in there so how do you drop the bolt?

One club here runs 10 shots max .. so a 12 is simply nicer to use than a 19.

A 15 could be useful but is too close to 19 in size. 12 balances the size to having a few extra rounds just in case

Oh yea I forgot about all that garbage.

I think I'll just start with a 28 and carry a 19 as backup

So I actually tried a MatchSaver reload today with the VR ... It is possible on a locked back bolt with mag left inserted. However, it's not easy as you need to hit the release paddle hard enough to compress the follower/BHO tab to drop the bolt closed.

I'm trying to insure that I never run into this mag shortage again for this shotty. I still have my tooth order too!
Do you plan on throwing them away after every match? You need springs more than mags!

6 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Y'all crazy needing that many big mags

They may break and you never know when you can get em again....

They may break and you never know when you can get em again....
In all the years we have been shooting I've never seen someone break a mag aside from stepping on one and bending the feed lips. There is a massive rush on this gun right now - I don't ever see a supply being a problem in the long run since mags for these were plentiful prior to the 80 showing up and people going apeshit over it

I don't feel panicked... but maybe that is the panic talking...

I've been shooting mag fed shotguns for a while and have broken several magazines - especially high capacity ones. Sometimes you end up dropping a loaded mag and that's a lot of weight on plastic or thin metal. Nevertheless, your mileage may vary. To each their own and all that. 

5 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Nope, you don't get those. Panic buying helps nobody. It's your $, do as you wish ...

Panic buying will help me actually have mags to shoot competition....maybe this was their plan all along so they would sell out instantly...oh well I bought into it and now in a few short days I can begin open division domination

This is not really panic buying in the sense of right after Sandy Hook and people were giving $1500 for a $500 AR at gun shows or a brick of .22 was getting $60-$100.  That was panic buying because there was no supply and the demand went way up quickly.

This is buying when the time and price is right.  I went through the shortage of primers, powder and .22 ammo.  I will never be caught in the position of having to decide if I'm going to shoot a match because I don't know that I'll be able to replenish what I shoot.  

Does anyone else other than the Youtube video posted a couple pages ago have experience with a Pro Mag drum?  I was in at my dealers today and noticed that he has a 12rd drum sitting on the shelf.  I hadn't paid any attention to it in previous visits but he said it has been there for several months.  $75 is the price on it but I could get it cheaper.  

Should I go for it or let it sit?  I've got 19rd mags on the way and 9 rd mags that need the post cut to get to 10 rds.  Not sure where I would use a 12 rd drum other than the cool factor.

Also, any word on aluminum base plates from anyone yet?

Get it if you want something different and know it may take some modding and about $25 to potentially correct it, should it not work.

There are +1 pads in the EU that are close to $50/shipped each. I'm waiting on 2 potential US shops ...