Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major powder choices?

muncie21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be the only one but I'm probably going to choose WAC or Silhouette just because they don't fill the case too much. That makes for less powder spillage on the press and they seem to be the cleaner burning out of the different powders. 

I can't tell any difference in feel or flatness or efficiency in "working then comp". 

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

I can't tell any difference in feel or flatness or efficiency in "working then comp". 

That's because they are so close in burn rate.  Silhouette is very slightly slower than WAC.  I generally takes about .1 or .2 gr more powder to match a WAC PF.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

That's because they are so close in burn rate.  Silhouette is very slightly slower than WAC.  I generally takes about .1 or .2 gr more powder to match a WAC PF.

I'm talking about not being able to tell any difference between any powder. I've tired WAC, AA7, HS-6, Silhouette.  

Can't tell a difference. 

Hello: Anyone try Shooters World Ultimate Pistol DO36-07? I have a pound I want to try with some 121 Montana Golds. It is said to be close to Auto Comp so I am thinking 7.0 grains to try first. I tried Major Pistol and it is close to AA#7 powder drops at 10.2 grains with 115's. I liked my HS-6 load more. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I like the HS-6 more since it shot softer and also takes less powder so it is a better value when bought in bulk. Both had about the same dot movement but the Major Pistol was a little cleaner. Both are easy to cleanup and were used with jacketed hollow point bullets. I think I am more sensitive to recoil than some since I have an elbow that either goes tennis or golfers being my tuning fork for recoil. Thanks, Eric

d, 37.1 is Shooters World Major Pistol, not 37.2.

Eric, the only way a faster powder can feel softer than a slower one is if the ports/comp cannot vent all (or almost all) of the gas before the bullet exits the comp.  I know that's hard to imagine given the size of your comp ports, but that must be what is happening with Major Pistol.

Hello: I used some Shooters World Ultimate pistol powder yesterday. Very clean and low powder drops. With Montana Gold 121's, 1.170" OAL, Winchester small rifle primers and 6.8 grains of Ultimate Pistol gives 171-173PF.  I'll shoot some more of this powder and try some of my normal 115's to see how it feels. Thanks, Eric

1 minute ago, lacivilian said:

I love Accurate #7 with 115s. It is still fairly soft in the hands while also having minimal dot bounce and a really good, quick return to POA.  

Same here for me with 124’s...for some reason #7 seems to never be in stock though. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, B_RAD said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see much difference in between different powder/bullet combos?  

I've tried several different powders and 115 and 124 bullets. 

I don't see much difference between them. 

You are not alone lol

next time I test I’ll bring more targets and a timer and see if there is a difference.

i can’t  feel a big difference shooting both 

Does anyone else get unburnt powder in their chamber with WAC? 

I run 7-7.2 grains and the gun has heaps of powder left in it after only a hundred rounds or so. 

I can't increase the crimp because my bullets start to get set back. Not sure what else to do, shorten the load? Running 1.16 atm. 

3 hours ago, sstephns said:

#7. All day. 

I bought an 8# jug of AA7 & loaded 2000 rounds. I had always heard how dirty it was, but I’m finding just the opposite. Gun looks surprisingly clean, just a light gray haze that wipes easily. Brass barely has any soot and no black char marks I get with HS6. This can’t be the same AA7 for the past. I’d recommend it. I’m several pounds into Shooters World Major Pistol, & liking it too. 

10.2gr. With either powder under 115gr. RMR JHP. 

Edited by OPENB