Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major powder choices?

muncie21

9 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I bought an 8# jug of AA7 & loaded 2000 rounds. I had always heard how dirty it was, but I’m finding just the opposite. Gun looks surprisingly clean, just a light gray haze that wipes easily. Brass barely has any soot and no black char marks I get with HS6. This can’t be the same AA7 for the past. I’d recommend it. I’m several pounds into Shooters World Major Pistol, & liking it too. 

10.2gr. With either powder under 115gr. RMR JHP. 

I'm at 9.2 behind a 125gr blue, my buddy is 9.6-9.8 behind 124gr PD JHP.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/14/2018 at 8:39 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I used some Shooters World Ultimate pistol powder yesterday. Very clean and low powder drops. With Montana Gold 121's, 1.170" OAL, Winchester small rifle primers and 6.8 grains of Ultimate Pistol gives 171-173PF.  I'll shoot some more of this powder and try some of my normal 115's to see how it feels. Thanks, Eric

Eric, did you get to try the 115’s? What was the load? 

Has anyone tried this powder at minor? Would love to find a powder to use for both major/minor

greg

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2018 at 9:44 PM, echotango said:

In have tried hs6 a couple times and keep going back to WAC. Flatter, less dot noise and much tighter groups during bill drill. 

Will try aa7. 

You know I ordered some Winchester Autocomp, but I keep getting mixed messages from people, some say it’s snappier, and more dot movement, some say it’s pretty flat, I have popple holes in my gun that I’ll have soon, so I hope it’s flat, but I keep getting mixed signals

2 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

You know I ordered some Winchester Autocomp, but I keep getting mixed messages from people, some say it’s snappier, and more dot movement, some say it’s pretty flat, I have popple holes in my gun that I’ll have soon, so I hope it’s flat, but I keep getting mixed signals

Been using WAC for almost 10 years. I have barrel holes as well. Guns run great and pretty flat. No damage at all

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Been using WAC for almost 10 years. I have barrel holes as well. Guns run great and pretty flat. No damage at all

Gee thanks Sarge, I’ll take that into consideration, does it make a difference that my barrel is 4.25” I have a JL hardy shorty with a KKM barrel.

5 hours ago, Reloader98 said:

Gee thanks Sarge, I’ll take that into consideration, does it make a difference that my barrel is 4.25” I have a JL hardy shorty with a KKM barrel.

I can’t comment on that. I am of the opinion that it’s hard to tame a 9 shorty regardless.

16 hours ago, Reloader98 said:

My open guns had 3 3/16" holes.  

18 hours ago, Reloader98 said:

My $.02 is that most shooters (myself Included) spend way too much time worrying about finding the perfect load, Find a load that makes power factor and runs 100% in your gun and go shoot it, my experience messing with powders and bullets is when testing loads at the bench I can feel the difference load to load if I pay attention, If I load a mag half and half and run some practice drills I have no idea when the load changed. I did this last just last week with loads that varied by 20PF in my gun, try it it may surprise you how little the load actually matters.

1 minute ago, MikeBurgess said:

My $.02 is that most shooters (myself Included) spend way too much time worrying about finding the perfect load,

^^^  This  ^^^

I think too many people get too caught up in finding the "perfect load".  Since I have stopped "load developing" and stuck to one load, at 135 PF for minor in pistol, and 142 PF for PCC, my shooting has improved a great deal.  I chose 135 because I think the gun runs better, dot movement is acceptable, and I know I will pass chrono at any match I go to.  I really could not tell you during a course of fire "how my recoil feels".  The round is reliable and accurate, I shoot the gun accurately during my course of fire and the gun almost never malfunctions.  If it does malfunctions it is always due to a round I failed to QC improperly which these days almost never happens.   I fail more towards accuracy and reliable operation of the gun than I do recoil.  Mind you I am talking about Minor so Major may have some other factors to keep in mind, but find a load and use it regardless if it is minor or major.  

2 hours ago, echotango said:

I keep getting mixed signals

I would stop listening to everyone else's opinions on how things feel or reaction of the gun using whatever load they have used.  Find something acceptable to you (and obviously is safe) and use it. You have zero idea on the other person's grip, how they loaded their ammo, the maintenance of their gun.  There is way too many variable to "listen to others opinions" on how a certain load "feels" to them.  You can use a consensus on how certain loads react in a gun for a starting  point, but listening to anyone one persons opinion is not a very constructive exercise.