Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 and coated bullets and upgrades questions

kmaultsby

Hello all, I have just shot my first IDPA match with a Glock 34 I mostly shoot XD'S but this my first with a 34.  I added a Zev competition spring kit and a Wolf barrel.  The only reason I added the Wolf barrel is because I am using coated bullets.  Is my question does the stock factory barrel work with coated bullets?   

4 hours ago, kmaultsby said:

Hello all, I have just shot my first IDPA match with a Glock 34 I mostly shoot XD'S but this my first with a 34.  I added a Zev competition spring kit and a Wolf barrel.  The only reason I added the Wolf barrel is because I am using coated bullets.  Is my question does the stock factory barrel work with coated bullets?   

Glock barrels work with everything.

So it depends on the type of coating. Have you seen the blue bullets, it has a thick polymer coating, basically a polymer jacket. Those are totally fine, you’ll have no issues with the stock barrel. But the hi tek coating that a lot of people are making these days are kind of ifffy imo. They’re still really dirty in my guns. I wouldn’t trust them. I had a kaboom with lead in a Glock. Gun was fine, except the mag release and the mag. I was shooting a mix of coated lead and regular cast lead. So I been weary ever since then. But my guy who makes the hi tek bullets says he’s been shooting them in glocks for ever. So imo it depends on how thick the coating is. 

1 hour ago, Jfitz427 said:

So it depends on the type of coating. Have you seen the blue bullets, it has a thick polymer coating, basically a polymer jacket. Those are totally fine, you’ll have no issues with the stock barrel. But the hi tek coating that a lot of people are making these days are kind of ifffy imo. They’re still really dirty in my guns. I wouldn’t trust them. I had a kaboom with lead in a Glock. Gun was fine, except the mag release and the mag. I was shooting a mix of coated lead and regular cast lead. So I been weary ever since then. But my guy who makes the hi tek bullets says he’s been shooting them in glocks for ever. So imo it depends on how thick the coating is. 

Other than Blues I think fit matters more than thickness.

I get tolerable fouling at .356, and really none at .357 with Hi Tek. Lubed lead runs fine at .358. Larger diameter bullets will increase gauge or chambering failures, especially with import brass.

I clean somewhere between 2k and 6k when the action pieces start getting so carboned I can't stand it.

3 hours ago, Beef15 said:

Other than Blues I think fit matters more than thickness.

I get tolerable fouling at .356, and really none at .357 with Hi Tek. Lubed lead runs fine at .358. Larger diameter bullets will increase gauge or chambering failures, especially with import brass.

I clean somewhere between 2k and 6k when the action pieces start getting so carboned I can't stand it.

I might have to try .357 then. I usually get the .356 in hi tek coating. I really like them cause they’re cheaper then the blue bullets and they shoot well. I get the hi tek for .55 cents, compared to the blue bullets at about .75. Really pretty minuscule difference. But it adds up over time. 

The blue bullets are great though IMO. And they’re made right in the town I live in. Might have to go stop in and see how many id have to buy to get them for closer to 5 cents a piece. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run Bayou's through my 34 factory barrel before I switched to a Storm Lake barrel. I never seemed to have any issues. Since switching to a 2011, I've switched to Blue Bullets, and I've run some of my 2011 loads through my Glock 17 MOS and it seems to do just fine as long as I'm diligent about cleaning it after. The coating on the Blue Bullets seems to hold up pretty well, they recently switched to a coating more like Bayou's, so it doesn't turn your fingers blue when your're loading, and you can hit it with a hammer and it won't flake off. 

Edited by bulldog009

I've well over 150K of Bayou HiTeks thru several OEM Glock 17s. They do not lead at all because I've recovered fired bullets and are of the same weight as loaded, and no scratches. If your gun runs dirty on Bayous then it's the powder. 

Jfitz, blowing out a mag and mag button is not a KaBoom. That's just a case rupture, could be caused by anything but most likely bullet setback. Kabooms split t he barrel, crack the slide and blow the frame to bits.   Even .030" of setback can double the pressure. Article by Speer.

image37152.jpg

8 hours ago, 9x45 said:

I've well over 150K of Bayou HiTeks thru several OEM Glock 17s. They do not lead at all because I've recovered fired bullets and are of the same weight as loaded, and no scratches. If your gun runs dirty on Bayous then it's the powder. 

Jfitz, blowing out a mag and mag button is not a KaBoom. That's just a case rupture, could be caused by anything but most likely bullet setback. Kabooms split t he barrel, crack the slide and blow the frame to bits.   Even .030" of setback can double the pressure. Article by Speer.

image37152.jpg

That’s exacrly what happened, the case ruptured. My hands stung like crazy for about 2 hours after. I’ve never been able to say for sure what caused it. For all I know I picked up a piece of brass that somone had discarded after 20 reloads and the case blew. Bullet setback is definitely a possibility. I just remberred I’d had been shooting hi tek coated for a while without issue. That day I was shooting cast lead with no coating and it happened. I’ll probably never  know for sure 

• 4 weeks later...

Even in gen 4 barrels jacketed bullets are more accurate for me.  Not a lot of difference at 25 yds but just finished some 50 yard testing and quite a bit difference from 8" down w/ 124 coated to 7" w/145 coated to 4" with 124 jhp at 50 yds.

Still don't see any pressure/leading issues though.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally have had absolutely zero issues with factory barrels and coated bullets. I have not had any bad experience as far as accuracy, malfunctions or anything. I personally see no need to waste money on an aftermarket barrel, but that is just me. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2018 at 7:15 AM, Swanny10 said:

Including lead. You just have to be diligent about cleaning the barrel on a regular schedule. 

I've put lots of lead through mine too.  Just clean them good after each outing.  No issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Glocks hit the market in the late 80s,gun forums hit the internet in the late 90s and informed shooters that lead bullets in Glocks were bad.That was big news to shooters that had been using lead bullets in their Glocks for 10 years.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk