Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

portable fan on the gun cart

I don't shoot much 3 gun any more, but my cart gets used to transport my AR9 PCC...the Sun and heat in the Tampa Bay area has been brutal for the last couple of matches, and at the Aug match a fellow shooter showed up with a Ridgid 18v portable fan on his cart... this past Sunday at least 5 others including myself had similar arrangements... my cart is pretty basic, a stripped 3 wheeled stroller with a dual ATV gun rack down one rail, a soft sided cooler hooked with a bungee over the front foot rest...my shooter bag is attached over the axle with 4" light weight carabiners clipped to "D" rings  held by stainless screw clamps on the rails... for Aug I had included a PVC holder for a 7' beach umbrella to move some shade down range, but the addition of the portable fan was a game changer last Sunday...at mid setting it ran without a problem  for about 4 1/2 hours, providing a lot of evaporative cooling for the poly technical shirt I wear...I didn't really want to drill holes on the rail, but a couple of 7/32 screw eyes are now bolted near the handle, and a couple of the aluminum carabiners allowed the easy attachment of the fan by the metal ladder hooks, and worked well even though the fan was really "upside down"....the location was advantageous when sitting behind the cart.... additionally the cart has capability of attaching a hard side cooler for 20# ice hooked over the rear axle if needed, but most of all a hook point (split key ring cable tied to the rail) to transport a folding stool... it allows us old guys to rest between shooters and not put a strain on the knees to get up and help paste... regards Les   L747

• 3 weeks later...

We have the opposite problem up hear.   We have a guy that brings a 2 headed Mr. heater to matches in the winter.  He sets the tank behind his shooting bag and faces the burners back towards the handle of his cart.  Everyone on his squad passes by his cart on the way back from picking up frozen steel especially when you have to did them out of the snow.  

I don't use a fan on my cart.  I agree the last couple of matches have been excruciating.  I think it's been hotter in September than it was in July and August.  The humidity is a killer.  

Back to your post.  I see a lot of guys running fans on their cart.  I was seriously thinking of bringing my portable generator along with a small portable AC to matches.  I decided to go back to my beach umbrella on my cart instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wish I had a picture of the rig someone built here in NC. It is a pull wagon with a wagon size solar panel raised above the wagon high enough to put one of the common 30" or so square 120V fans on one end. Works like a charm as long as the sun is shining. They have a big beach umbrella, pretty comfortable till you have to get up and go paste and set targets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I bought a Ryobi because I already had the batteries for it.  I'm also working on a mount to hook up a water mister to it.  I used detachable handlebar mounts for a camera so I can remove it.    It works, but it needs a little more work.  

D4B9BB35-1784-47F1-9CA5-0B07F18C9F79.thumb.jpeg.18536857b5d1e8fbc7feea973f0e3795.jpeg

23 hours ago, Zebraman said:

I bought a Ryobi because I already had the batteries for it.  I'm also working on a mount to hook up a water mister to it.  I used detachable handlebar mounts for a camera so I can remove it.    It works, but it needs a little more work.  

D4B9BB35-1784-47F1-9CA5-0B07F18C9F79.thumb.jpeg.18536857b5d1e8fbc7feea973f0e3795.jpeg

this uses Ryobi one+ batteries and is already set up as a mister https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-Cove-18-Volt-2-Speed-Misting-Bucket-Top-Fan-MBF0181/205744083

Lots of guys here have various brands of fans with lithium batteries on their carts when it gets very, very, very hot as well as umbrellas for shade. It does help cool you off under the shade of the umbrella. Some of the guys are very inventive- car battery to run the fans, coolers, etc. These are larger carts but very practical.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
21 minutes ago, Malcolm31 said:

Love my DeWalt portable fan at matches in the heat.  Clips right onto my cart and  IT IS AMAZING. I will be using it tomorrow.

I have the DeWalt one too, and it is worth it's weight in gold.

I've never taken it to the range, or a match for that matter, but it sure is handy around the shop. As a matter of fact I can feel it's cool caress as I type this...

• 2 months later...