Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Optics

Hiroshi

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OPENB said:

I don't think there is any optic that gets the dot lower to the slide than a Slide Ride mounted horizontally. Not pretty, but very functional. Cures all 9mm ejection issues as well.

A 45 degree mount gets it a tad lower but that opens up a whole other bucket of worms. 

On 9/30/2018 at 5:46 PM, OPENB said:

I don't think there is any optic that gets the dot lower to the slide than a Slide Ride mounted horizontally. Not pretty, but very functional. Cures all 9mm ejection issues as well.

Will try the horizontal sldieride, thanks

I'm a big fan of the DP pro and the rts2.  my training buddies had a few break so I went with the dp pro.  I am a little bigger fan of the crisp rts dot.  Try both and see what you like.  Test both in the sun etc.  

On 10/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, bigboy69 said:

Im going to switch from my RTS2, to a Holosun and see if I like it.

Hey Don, Wish I knew that you where looking at getting the Holosun, I have one on my gun that you could have taken a look at. I met you on Saturday after the Steel Classic was over. So far I like it but I also have almost no experience with optics on pistols since I just started shooting open. I do have a little bit of experience with the DPP on .22lr open pistol and the Holosun is huge compared to it, the dot is just a little bit brighter on the DPP but its not a big difference. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, OPENB said:

You are correct, my STI DVC open when back to STI with ejection problems and they replaced the Slide Ride with a new RTS2, no more ejection problems. I really liked the RTS2 up until last week when it started to malfunction on me, luckily we got a used one that I can put on until it comes back from C-More. I'm looking forward to seeing what my sons DPP looks like when it gets here on his Chaos.

19 hours ago, sean_stw said:

Hey Don, Wish I knew that you where looking at getting the Holosun, I have one on my gun that you could have taken a look at. I met you on Saturday after the Steel Classic was over. So far I like it but I also have almost no experience with optics on pistols since I just started shooting open. I do have a little bit of experience with the DPP on .22lr open pistol and the Holosun is huge compared to it, the dot is just a little bit brighter on the DPP but its not a big difference. 

Haha I remember who you are now. I switched it over last night and I really like it. I never shot with one but my buddy showed me his on his PCC. I don't know how much it will take to get used to but it is a much bigger field of you than rts2. And I also think the hollow sun 510 is much brighter then the rts2.

1 hour ago, bigboy69 said:

Haha I remember who you are now. I switched it over last night and I really like it. I never shot with one but my buddy showed me his on his PCC. I don't know how much it will take to get used to but it is a much bigger field of you than rts2. And I also think the hollow sun 510 is much brighter then the rts2.

Yeah I'd say its between the rts2 and the DPP. I'm sure your gonna like it, that big window is nice to have especially when your a new shooter like me lol. 

On 10/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, bigboy69 said:

Thank you. The only thing I didn't like about the mount is my slide racker did not fit underneath it and I had to bend it lightly. And I also filed the very corner of the scope off

Your mount holes definitely aren't drilled at an angle, then.  Mine are, which is why I got those 0 degree mounts.  The standard mount probably would have cleared. 

I have 8 MOA Burris FF3s, RTS2v4 6 MOA, SLideride 6 MOA and DPP 2.5 MOAs.  I have used them all extensively for Steel Challenge.  For me, that is the most demanding test, because the dot can be drowned out on white steel in bright sunlight.

The FF3 in 8 MOA with a new battery works fine.  It just runs.  The batteries last seemingly forever, but be careful.  The dim so gradually you are not aware of it.

The Slideride needs a shade.  I put on a Guga Ribas snap on shade and it is much better.  It is my least favorite for Steel Challenge, but fine for USPSA.

The RTS2 v4s are nice sights, but they eat batteries very quickly when turned all the way up for Steel.  One will not stay bright for an entire 8 stage shoot, even if I turn it all the way down at the end of each stage.  ANother will.  A third will last the entire Steel match even if I don't turn it down between stages.  I'm told by a reliable source, that is because I chose 6 MOA.  He has C-More laser drill the sights to 10 and 15 MOA.  He says the dot is much easier to track and it doesn't have to be turned all the way up.  At the end of the season I'll send one or two back to C-More and have them opened up.

Both of My Steel Challenge guns now wear DPP 2.5s.  They have the brightest dot, and at full power the dot blooms and appears to be about 6 MOA.  Batteries last several matches.  I don't know how many, because I change them after two or three, just to be sure.  I'll say that the same battery  has been in my backup Open gun all season and it is still very bright.  It gets regular use in practice, so it isn't like the sight never gets turned on.

A lot is mentioned about window size.  I used five FF3s first, so I got used to the small window.  Yes, all the others have larger windows, but I don't think it matters.  If you bring the gun up and the dot is not on target, you need more practice, not a larger window.

Durability:  as far as I can tell, none of them suffers for being slide mounted.  I have the most experience with the FF#s.  The oldest has seen over 40,000 rounds of 45 through it.  I've only been running the RTS2s for two seasons, but have not encountered any malfunctions.  Same with the DPP, but only one season.  Slide rides are frame mounted, because I can't see the logic of putting something that heavy on a slide.