Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 *must have* Upgrades for USPSA

Rosswoodford

Good sights and a goof trigger are the absolute musts

After that it is your preference. (assuming functional reliability)

Common are adjustable sights to allow working with different loads, ambidextrous thumb safeties, the mag well you mentioned, .

You must define the accuracy requirements.  A gun giving 2": at 50 yards is likely overboard.  If it will stay in the "A" zone at 50, it's up to you to put them there.  Since those ranges are not often seen these days, staying in the "A" zone at 25 may be fine.

If functional reliability is lacking, you may need

reliable extractor

barrel throating

other tuning as needed

I also prefer a checkered front strap (30, maybe 25 lpi)

You may want to look at different trigger lengths to see what you like.

A virtually endless list dependent on what you like or want.

How does the gun shoot now? What is it? I would take it and just shoot a few matches and you will know. Sights are great, trigger is helpful, magwell is nice, but practice is huge. Be prepared for 8 round magazines on 28-40 round stages if it’s a 45. Single stack is my favorite class but it can be a pain sometimes. Lots of mags and belt space.

Maybe I'm too uppity when I think of what a stock 1911 is. My last were a Springfield range officer & a Les Baer premier 2 and an STI Trojan. 

Magwell yes, trigger job maybe, otherwise just shoot them. 

Never should have sold the LB even after I quit shooting single stack. 

13 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

Say you have a stock 1911. What are the things that should be immediately upgraded?

Trigger Job

Magazine Well

What else? Lay it on me!

Stock from who? That makes a HUGE difference.

If it's a quality built piece I might add a mag well and do a little trigger tuning and maybe replace some springs. If it's from a Mfr that is using MIM parts I would likely replace the entire lockworks and safety. If it has a plastic mainspring housing that would go too.

Better mags would be a must either way.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:45 AM, yukonjon said:

How does the gun shoot now? What is it? I would take it and just shoot a few matches and you will know. Sights are great, trigger is helpful, magwell is nice, but practice is huge. Be prepared for 8 round magazines on 28-40 round stages if it’s a 45. Single stack is my favorite class but it can be a pain sometimes. Lots of mags and belt space.

Took me forever to get back to this - Gun shoots fine.  It's an older Springfield A-1 .45.  I've been shooting all year with it.  Trigger job is a for sure, I already have an ICE magwell in it.  What I was mostly curious about were internals that make everything run smoother, outside of trigger work.  I'm still extremely new to 1911's in general, so bare with me!

On 8/8/2018 at 12:09 PM, Dranoel said:

Stock from who? That makes a HUGE difference.

If it's a quality built piece I might add a mag well and do a little trigger tuning and maybe replace some springs. If it's from a Mfr that is using MIM parts I would likely replace the entire lockworks and safety. If it has a plastic mainspring housing that would go too.

Better mags would be a must either way.

Older Springfield A-1 .45 - Hammer and safety are for sure MiM, and I haven't dove into it deep enough to know what else is.  Mainspring housing is not plastic, though.

On magazines, I've had surprisingly good luck with Brownells magazines.. 

Edited by Rosswoodford

Pin the grip safety.  Find a tool/method to clean your mags.  I use a brass squib rob and a micro fiber towel.  The micro fiber is flexible enough to go in and out easily.  Cleaning mags is pain in single stack!!

On 8/8/2018 at 10:01 AM, motosapiens said:

why not just buy a gun that doesn't suck out of the box?

Amen!  The Sig max is a great starting platform.  It has great sights, Dawson magwell, Koenig firing group, good accuracy, great grips.  You will have to adjust trigger weight, possibly pin grip safety (if you feel the need).  Dang, they should be paying me for this LOL.

Edited by StuckinMS
Spelling error

Amen!  The Sig max is a great etsring platform.  It has great sights, Dawson magwell, Koenig firing group, good accuracy, great grips.  You will have to adjust trigger weight, possibly pin grip safety (if you feel the need).  Dang, they should be paying me for this LOL.

I’ve seen 2 Sig Maxs. Both of them made multiple trips back to Sig because they would not run at all.

Both remain retired as a backup to the backups.

5 hours ago, FortyOverUnder said:

I’ve seen 2 Sig Maxs. Both of them made multiple trips back to Sig because they would not run at all.

Both remain retired as a backup to the backups.

We have put over 50,000 rounds through ours in the last 2 years and have yet to have a hic up.  Ours is in .40 S&W.  

My .40 Sig Max runs great too. I load long (1.180) and use Wilson 10mm mags. All it needed was a Series 80 delete and a trigger job. I'm disappointed Sig discontinued the .40 model. There are few factory .40 options left.

Good sights.  I like a red FO front and a no-dot U-notch in back.

Trigger job of course, unless yours was great out of the box.

Ambi thumb safety.  I like EGW's.

Extended mag release button.  I use the Wilson.

Ledge-style slide stop lever.  The Ed Brown is nice and the one that comes stock on DW Valors is even better.   The Gen 2 from 10-8 looks very nice, have never tried one.

Frontstrap checkering or grip tape.

Nice aggressive grip panels that accommodate the mag release button.  Can always carve out a recess for that.

A mag well.  I use the Dawson ICE no-gap.

Recoil spring that's right for your load.

A good extractor such as EGW HD or Aftec or Wilson.

A correctly fit firing pin stop.

Edited by GunBugBit

Today's,Stock 1911 is a far cry from a "stock" 1911.  Back in 1980 stock ment you needed beaver tail, trigger, sights front (needed pinded) magwell, bushing, slide stop, guide rod, big thumb safety. I am sure I am leaving something out.