Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Elite Target vs PM-9

Tampa-XD45

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in the Clark work. You'd need to get the gun frame refinished too. They'd be able to do some trigger work too.
Another option could be the Wilson add on checkering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can also just wrap a piece of grip tape around the front strap for basically nothing.

Replace it from time to time. I have a couple guns like this, the tape goes from under the grip on one side, around the front and under the grip on the other side. With the grips holding it in place it will never come off.

38 minutes ago, f2benny said:

I'm interested in the Clark work. You'd need to get the gun frame refinished too. They'd be able to do some trigger work too.
Another option could be the Wilson add on checkering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why would I need to get the gun refinished?  I can do the trigger work.

4 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Why would I need to get the gun refinished?  I can do the trigger work.

The checkering process will remove material, leaving raw steel. Could cold blue it at home or keep it oiled, but refinishing would be suggested.

Edited by SCTaylor

1 minute ago, SCTaylor said:

The checkering process will remove material, leaving raw steel. Could cold blue it at home or keep it oiled, but refinishing would be suggested.

Unless they do a roll checker but I doubt it.

You can see their checkering video here:  https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-service/machine-checkering/

So they are removing material. It's wise to have it refinished, especially in your area. High humidity & salt air attack steel big time.

PM9's are stainless steel, RO's are Carbon steel.

3 minutes ago, sfinney said:

PM9 is such a better put together machine. Worth $500 more? Only if you enjoy quality. A Range Officer will work just fine too.... its not as ….. refined. 

Conquer

SA is a nice pistol,

PM is basically as nice a several hand built (custom) pistols I own or have owned.

They are extremely well built guns,  well WORTH the money

I like the checkering, but if you can get it after for $125.00, it becomes a moot point. You will want to refinish the gun after or it'll look like crap. I'm not a gun aesthetics snob, but unfinished machine work makes it look like an unfinished gun. The Elite Target has what they call Black T finish, getting this refinishied will probably bring you right up to the PM9 price.

From what I understand the PM9 comes with all tool steel parts, where the Springfield Armory will have junk for internals (in my experience).

I also hear the PM9 has excellent frame to slide, slide to bushing, slide to barrel and bushing to barrel fit. Springfield is hit and miss, again more miss than hit in my experience.

Springfield also has the weird BTGS radius, so if you want to change that part, good luck finding one that works.

The PM9 costs $1,340.00, and nothing else. 

The Springfield charges you $840.00, but that's the entry price. You will be spending more on it down the road to get it where the PM9 starts. 

That's just my opinion. 

No experience with the specific Springfield, but I had the PM9, and a Loaded Springfield .45. The PM9 was very nicely fitted, no MIM, checkered, and just a plain step above the rest of the production 1911s on the market. The RO will work just fine, and the added cost for the nicer gun may not be worth it to you.

Newbie on here, but not a newbie in life....

Another thing to consider is what it's gonna cost you to ship it to Clark there and back (unless you live close enough of course). What's that, $75-90 each way unless an FFL is a buddy and ships it for you. Even then it's $60-80 round trip.

My shooting buddy just went through this very same question and purchase. He went SA DO Elite 9mm and we are now into it for the PM9 cost even though we checkered and refinished it ourselves. It shoots pretty good, but will drop the first round out of the group each and every time. I'll get that issue taken care of, but he's irritated enough to now buy the PM9.

I have no idea if the PM9 will/would be the perfect handgun (what is?), but I believe it has a better chance of being a better out of the box handgun will tighter specs and better internal finishing and parts. This SA RO has some QC issues that account for the difference in cost too.

Personally, I've never regretted getting a better product but have regretted thinking a lesser quality product might be just as good. I'm not talking down to you, just sharing my recent experience. I started with Ruger Blackhawk's and ended up buying Freedom Arms if you take my meaning.....

Flat top with serrations on the top, nicer finish on the PM-9

Also the slide stop is higher quality and not the standard on cheaper 1911s.

You will be able to tell the PM9 is a 1k gun based on the fit, finish, and parts used.

I looked at both before I purchased my PM9, when I looked at cost for Trigger work, checkering PM9 was best deal to me.Never looked back and have not regretted extra cash to get it especially when I shoot it.

I am a die hard 1911 fan and never been super impressed with Springfield in general not basing them for me the just seem to get lost in a big see of great guns however I am a huge fan of the PM9 think they are about as good as it gets for a 9mm comp gun right out of the box and in my opinion well worth the extra money however if budget is a concern the RO will work just fine but will cost to make as good as the PM9

I have a PM9 and the older model RO Target in .45.  I had the trigger on the Springfield worked on, added a FO front sight, EGW custom bushing (which did improve accuracy), grip tape and VZ grips.  I’m not up to a DW price, and it shoots well for me, but I much prefer the PM-9.  The higher grip on the PM-9 is very noticeable and a big part of why shooting it is so nice.  In retrospect I wish I had just bought another Dan Wesson, which I’ll probably end up doing.  The RO is a good gun - the PM9 is fricking awesome!  3,000 rounds in and I still have to take it apart with a bushing wrench.  

Jeff

I have looked at both in a gunshop I go to and believe the DW Pointman is a better value overall than the Springfield even if the Springfield is close to 1/2 as expensive. What's a few more cutting conners in other areas when it comes to shooting.

Yup, an RO is a great gun, and all you need to be competitive. Good value. I'd stick a S. Perman wide magwell grip on it, or some grip tape and a magwell call it a day. If you are going to pay $125 for checkering (plus shipping both ways, and a wait?) then a PM9 is just nicer, out of the box - and for me, fit my hand and shot smoother. Just feel.  Plus I actually use the front serrations, how much does Clark charge for that?

Last note - resell. Always people looking for a PM9, and willing to pay. Range Officers take pretty big hit in resale value from what I've seen (and experienced) on the classifieds.

But if controlling costs/going budget, or you find a good package deal on a used one, the RO is a great option.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Conquer

SA is a nice pistol,

PM is basically as nice a several hand built (custom) pistols I own or have owned.

They are extremely well built guns,  well WORTH the money

I agree with JCC.

After buying the PM9, I thought my Sig Max Michele 1911 in 40 wasn't as well built. So, I was bad and thought the PM9 needed a companion. Found one at CZC in 40.

IMG_0025.jpg

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Thanks for the responses.  I don't mind spending the extra $500 as long as it's worth it and it sounds like it's worth it.

To the guys who own the PM9s, whose mags are you running?

Wilson Combat seem to work the best in all my 1911s.