Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Elite Target vs PM-9

Tampa-XD45

@bofe954

55 minutes ago, bofe954 said:

Could you compare the PM-9 to the SSC? Interested in the SSC, but wondering if it's worth the extra cost vs PM-9.

Do you want a 9mm or a .40?

The extra cost for the SSC is because it is the only DW .40 cal offering and is made in small quantities for CZCustom only. The PM9 is much more plentiful, available to dealers all over the country, and is 9mm only. Quality and fit should be similar. Only major differences besides  caliber are that SSC comes with magwell and ambi safety. If you are competing in gun games, you will probably add a different magwell to either choice. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by my dealer to pickup something else and they had an RO (9mm) and an SSC (.40).  I am not a basher, but in all fairness, the RO I handled, even though it had a nice fit and some minor frame play, it was a joke compared to the SSC. The ROs finish seemed like it was sprayed with a spray paint can and the trigger was horrible. As ll others have mentioned, the DW is in another class of its own.

20 hours ago, bofe954 said:

CZC also offers the SSC in 9mm. Just wondering whether it is $400 better than a PM-9.

The SSC gets you a magwell (probably nicely blended) and an ambi safety for +/-$400, plus the Dan Wesson script on the slide... can't tell what else CZC does, maybe an owner can chime in.  From RandysGuns my PM9 was $1356 shipped... GrabAgun occasionally has them cheaper, but you gotta be quick; their price fluctuates depending on how many in stock.

https://grabagun.com/d-wes-pointman-nine-9mm-5-sts-10rd.html

PM-9 with VZ Slims, Dawson magwell with aluminum MSH and empty Dawson mag with aluminum basepad weighs in at 41.6oz, for anyone who also wants to shoot IDPA ESP.  That's including the FLGR, pure factory setup other than grips, magwell.  Out of the box trigger my is 3#6oz and coming from Glocks, I don't see any reason to mess with it.

Interesting..... I did not realize that the SSC was also available in 9mm. In that case, a magwell , better grips and ambi safety is probably in the range of $200-300 in value. The other $100-200 in price difference comes by having a pistol that very few own. Perhaps this is more desirable in the long run. I recently saw a used DW (.40 cal) listed on gun broker sell for $1400. DW has a bit of a cult following amongst 1911 fans and tend to hold their value. 

• 1 year later...

Had the DW Pointman 9 for a year+ now, great gun. Just got a deal "too good to pass up" on a Springfield Range Officer Elite Target 9, with a SA Custom Shop trigger & action job already done.  Shot both guns head-to-head today.  Overall the PM9 feels smoother; could be FLGR vs GI guiderod, but that's the subjective impression. Objectively, the PM9 shoots tiny groups with 124g Montana Golds and 115g Peak reloads... the SA Groups are 50% bigger with the same ammo.  Given otherwise identical sights & triggers, the Dan Wesson wins on accuracy.  Sample size of 1 each isn't worth much, but if I had to do it again, there seems no sense in upgrading an RO Elite when PM9 is available. Buy once, cry once, enjoy the hell out of the DW PM9.

PS-LEO & MIL can order direct from CZ-USA, discount isn't much but it'll buy you a magwell.