Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC red dot. Which one?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

I am now building my PCC, is a Holosun better then C-More RST2?

Depends on your  eye sight,

What looks good to me may suck for you.

If possible look through both sights and then decide for yourself.

Both sights are very popular and you should be able to check them out at any match you attend.

I have looked through them all and I cannot find anything better than the old trusted and true Cmore.

Shooters complain about the battery life of the Cmore. Change it once a month, takes about 5 minutes, if you shoot a lot.

Cost about $4 a three pack. If you can't do that once a month, your life is jammed up big time.

But that's just me.

36 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Depends on your  eye sight,

What looks good to me may suck for you.

If possible look through both sights and then decide for yourself.

Both sights are very popular and you should be able to check them out at any match you attend.

I have looked through them all and I cannot find anything better than the old trusted and true Cmore.

Shooters complain about the battery life of the Cmore. Change it once a month, takes about 5 minutes, if you shoot a lot.

Cost about $4 a three pack. If you can't do that once a month, your life is jammed up big time.

But that's just me.

He's right, depends on your eyes.  Used an RTS2 on my PCC and Open Gun.  Got a hanging floater in my right eye and had a hard time seeing the RTS 2 dot.  With the Holosun if I can see half the circle I'm good to go.

33 minutes ago, Silver_Surfer said:

I'm using a Vortex Prism. Love it! Batteries optional.   Only downside, sight over bore a little higher than some of the other dots.

I strongly considered this because I have astigmatism and they look crystal clear even with my condition. In the end I just had special glasses made to correct my issue and love how clear the HS510C is. If the glasses ever become an issue, a prism style sight is a no brainer.

7 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

The 512C and 512T seem identical other than the solar backup power?

That's probably it.

Also, as far as suggestions, don't forget the Holosun HS503C (circle-dot, solar power) or HS403B (dot only).  Regular compact red dots that have a battery tray instead of the large turret battery housing, so the profile is less cluttered.

Edited by MoRivera

The one I posted pics of is a 512C.  I'll post a pic of the side shortly so you can see the model # on it.

The 512C is the aluminum model, the 512T is the titanium model.  Not much difference otherwise.

Edited by gnhowell1
On 2/17/2019 at 9:26 PM, gnhowell1 said:

My apologies for the poor quality phone pics.

Trust me when I say it's clearer than the 510 because it's sealed and purged.  3 reticle choices; 65 MOA Circle, 65 MOA Circle + 2 MOA dot, 2 MOA dot.

Are they absolute or lower 1/3, and if absolute, can they take a riser like the 510C?

On 2/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, ABQautoxer said:

I strongly considered this because I have astigmatism and they look crystal clear even with my condition. In the end I just had special glasses made to correct my issue and love how clear the HS510C is. If the glasses ever become an issue, a prism style sight is a no brainer.

Same here!

Getting old sucks!

On 2/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, Silver_Surfer said:

I'm using a Vortex Prism. Love it! Batteries optional.   Only downside, sight over bore a little higher than some of the other dots.

I use a Primary Arms 1x Prism on one of my 5.56 rifles that I use for multi-guns because my regular, uncorrected vision is ideal for front sight on a pistol, so I have the prism's diopter focused so it's essentially a corrective lenses for distance.  But when I shoot with my PPC or a pistol with a red dot, I wear correctives for distance so I can focus downrange.

I'm in a similar boat and I work in front of a PC all day. It turns out the distance to a monitor is exactly the same as a pistol front sight or RMR so I had "computer" glasses made for PC and pistol shooting. So far they just happen to work ok with the PCC red dot though readers would be better with astigmatism correction but I didn't want a 4th pair, yet.

For red dots I go for distance/target focus (corrective glasses) and just bring the dot over it.  I don't quite know whether that brings the actual dot into better focus or worse, but it's a much simpler and effective way for me to shoot and hit.

8 minutes ago, hlpressley said:

Happy to see Holosun getting some much deserved love. I’ve been selling them since they came out and have been a huge fan. Guess all it takes is for a few of the “cool kids” to jump onboard and all is well. 

I would give them more love if they would make a descent size dot. Look at what the open gun guys use,  6 and 8 moa C-mores, something guys like me with older eyes can see. I love my green 510 but it would be so much better with a 6 moa dot instead of the 2. It's just too small on bright summer days.

Just now, Gregg K said:

I would give them more love if they would make a descent size dot. Look at what the open gun guys use,  6 and 8 moa C-mores, something guys like me with older eyes can see. I love my green 510 but it would be so much better with a 6 moa dot instead of the 2. It's just too small on bright summer days.

65 MOA won’t do it for you? 

1 minute ago, hlpressley said:

65 MOA won’t do it for you? 

Sometimes I find that the circle and the dot are a little too busy and switch to just the dot but it's a little tough to speed shoot with the 2 moa dot. I also shoot some steel matches with targets that are a little close together where the circle and the dot is just too much overlap but a large dot would be perfect, again having a tough time speed shooting steel with a 2 moa.

4 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

Heck I'm 74 and use the 65 MOA on everything except for tight shots  and for some reason I can see the 2MOA dot at 15 yards on tight Turtle targets.  I guess it's just what the old peepers can see,

I guess there must be a technical reason why C-more hasn't offered a green dot module. I can see green much better and would buy a good 6-8 moa reflex sight in a flash if someone made a quality one.