So, I saw a video a while back for the Nighthawk drop in modular trigger unit. I gotta say, it's a pretty slick concept and it turns out that the guy who came up with the idea is local to me and shoots some of the same matches I do. I bought one prior to this COVID mess, however, I haven't had a chance to mess with it until recently. I decided to stick it in a .45 ACP single stack that a local guy put together from Fusion parts several years ago. It wasn't a great trigger, so I installed the Nighthawk parts, which was way easier than expected. I had to do very minor fitting of the thumb safety, but nothing else. The trigger was crisp and better than what I started with but definitely heavier than I was looking for (3.75#). After about 200 rounds, it seemed to drop by an ounce or two, but was still heavier than I wanted. Likely great for a carry gun but I'm to lighter triggers. Normally, I would start bending on the legs of the sear spring but the Nighthawk supplied leaf spring only has one leg on it, and it only controls the grip safety.
Looking at the unit, there was a big gob of red tamper paint covering what looked to be the end of a set screw. That had to be pushing on the back of a spring that put pressure on the sear. Since pretty much everything to do with guns has to be messed with a bit, I got out a can of acetone and a q-tip to see if the paint would come off. The paint came off, and there was a set screw underneath. I put an allen wrench in it, but no love, it wouldn't budge. I assumed that Nighthawk had probably Loc-tited the screw in place, so naturally I baked it for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. After it cooled off, the screw moved. I stuck it back in the gun and checked the pull weight after backing out the set screw a bit. Sure enough, the pull weight had dropped to just about 3#. I backed the screw out a bit more, but the pull weight seemed to bottom out around 2.75-3#. After a bit of fishing around in my parts box, I found a bag with an #18 hammer spring. After I replaced whatever heavy-ass spring that was in the mainspring housing with the 18, the pull weight was somewhere in between 2.5# and 2.75#. It felt good and seemed to work pretty well at that weight.
After a range trip since I messed with it, I like what I ended up with even if it did take a bit of messing around. I like the idea of being able to put this in other guns that I have and get a consistent trigger between the guns. It also seems to be pretty much fully adjustable now. I also like that since it is all housed in one unit, the placement of the hammer and sear pin holes in a bad frame probably won't affect it as much as traditional parts. It is definitely more expensive than just buying a set of parts, but it does avoid sending your gun out to a gunsmith. I think it is a pretty good option for someone who doesn't want to take the time to learn how to mess with traditional 1911 parts.