Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with Titegroup

WAlamo

Hi, before you all go crazy on why using Titegroup.  The only reason I use it is because were I live is the one and ONLY powder you can consistently find.  If I wanted anything else it will be ordered only when the store current supply runs low.  On top of that it cost about twice as what you guys pay for in the states.

With that said, is no wonder why I decided to try Titegroup.  I'm still waiting for my DVC Open to be at least sent from STI to the local re-seller.  In the mean time I shoot with my STI SteelMaster.  The SteelMaster comes ready for minor loads, I just replaced the recoil spring with different weights to find the one that works best with my major load.

As far as the load, I began my test using about 2 grains over the recommended 9mm max load for a 124g bullet.  Then I increased the load about 2-3g and tested again.  My test consisted in:

1. check cases for signs of too much pressure (over expanded cases, cracks, base separation, etc.)
  2. check the cycling of the slide with the current spring.  Was it slamming back to the rear or wasn't opening properly and causing jams?  Was it moving forward too strong that will cause the dot to dip?
  3. Chrono test
  4. switch recoil spring to the best one it worked with.

So this are my results, keep in mid were I live is summer like weather year round.

• 124g JHP, 1.156 OAL, 5.6g Titegroup = 167PF
  • 124g JHP, 1.156 OAL, 5.9g Titegroup = 170PF

I guess based on my experience (I'm no expert) that this same loads on a DVC Open which barrel is longer than the SteelMaster will produce higher PF.  So maybe dropping a .1g or .2g from the load will produce the same results.  I had no issues with the cases, I noticed only 2 cracked but I'm talking after thousands of rounds being shot.  The current recoil spring is 11lbs.  I think 12lbs is the perfect match but I don't have one to test it out, 11lbs is working great so far so I stick with it until someone let me borrow a 12 for testing.

WOW !!!

That seems to go against everything that has been discussed here for the past decade.

The DVC Open may or may Not get higher PF's - each barrel is different.

How does the comp work with the TG ?

Where are you, BTW, that you cannot buy WAC or some other powder typically used for 9mm Major ?

I'm from Puerto Rico.  Can't find a place online that ships it here due to hazmat licenses required.  And I checked on the hazmat fees and they are expensive.  So you add all of that to the price and is the most expensive powder you'll get.  FYI, 4 lbs of Titegroup cost about $140.

The comp seems to be doing his work nice, but I'm sure it would be better with a different powder.  And with better I mean that I will notice the difference.

If you could use a slower powder that requires more charge weight for the same velocity, it would provide more gas for the compensator and should keep the muzzle lower.

What other powders can you get?

20 hours ago, WAlamo said:

I'm from Puerto Rico.  Can't find a place online that ships it here due to hazmat licenses required.  And I checked on the hazmat fees and they are expensive.  So you add all of that to the price and is the most expensive powder you'll get.  FYI, 4 lbs of Titegroup cost about $140.

The comp seems to be doing his work nice, but I'm sure it would be better with a different powder.  And with better I mean that I will notice the difference.

Give Emjei a pm...he might can help you out....http://forums.brianenos.com/profile/49938-emjei/

He's in Caguas, and might have some sources that you don't.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Checking cases for signs of pressure is sorta like waiting for the old idiot lights to go off in your car .
By the time u see something,, its too late.

Would you care to share the correct way to increase a load? I mean, if you know I’m doing it wrong then you must have experience on this subject.

54 minutes ago, WAlamo said:

Would you care to share the correct way to increase a load? I mean, if you know I’m doing it wrong then you must have experience on this subject.

Primers are the first signs of pressure. Look for flatness, cratering, pierced, etc. TG will spike suddenly so personally I think you are playing with dynamite.

Why such heavy springs. I run 8# in my Open gun. Sometimes even 7#. 

If I couldn’t find the right powders I would just run minor and call it a day.

For what you are paying for powder, I would check into buying ammo from a noteable supplier before playing with tite group for 9mm major.  It is not worth the risk!!  You could also take Sarge's advice and shoot minor.  Shoot carry optics if you have to, but do not continue on your current path, it's just plain dangerous!

In an effort to educate myself better given the fact that I searched over and over and couldn't find info.  what you are saying is that TG will spike suddenly at a higher degree even if the same amount of charge is used?

For example (not real numbers) - 5 grains = 1000 lbs of pressure in 1st shot, then, 5 grains = 3000 lbs of pressure on second shot?

The joys of living in paradise, the weathers nice, but shippings a bitch,

what most mainlanders don’t  know is unless you’re buying a pallet worth of powder or ammo, the shipping will kill you

Walamo, have you tried getting a few friend together and doing a bulk powder order, every so often we’ll get together and order 99lbs which drops the shipping cost down to 3-4 dollar a pound

and I wouldn’t use titegroup to make major, I’d shoot minor with it until you can get the right powder

I was chrono loads once, several 10 shot strings, and the readings where pretty consistent within each sting

when I picked up the brass to check primers for pressure signs, they looked good except for 1 that totally flattened

again the velocities were pretty consistent within each string, the recoil and blast were pretty consistent, but one round had a huge pressure spike

48 minutes ago, WAlamo said:

In an effort to educate myself better given the fact that I searched over and over and couldn't find info.  what you are saying is that TG will spike suddenly at a higher degree even if the same amount of charge is used?

For example (not real numbers) - 5 grains = 1000 lbs of pressure in 1st shot, then, 5 grains = 3000 lbs of pressure on second shot?

No two rounds will be exactly the same. What if your next round is 5.1 or 5.2 gr? What if your bullet is seated .005 deeper? Is the bullet out of spec at all? What if that piece of brass has a little less case capacity? What about bullet set back  when you chamber the round? What is the temp outside? What is the temp. of the barrel, and how long do you leave that round cooking in the hot chamber before you touch it off? Even better, some lots of powder are faster than other. So open a new can from a different lot and look out.

What if several, or even all of those things happen at once? What are the odds?

Edited by Racinready300ex

1 hour ago, rishii said:

I was chrono loads once, several 10 shot strings, and the readings where pretty consistent within each sting

when I picked up the brass to check primers for pressure signs, they looked good except for 1 that totally flattened

again the velocities were pretty consistent within each string, the recoil and blast were pretty consistent, but one round had a huge pressure spike

1 hour ago, rishii said:

The joys of living in paradise, the weathers nice, but shippings a bitch,

what most mainlanders don’t  know is unless you’re buying a pallet worth of powder or ammo, the shipping will kill you

Walamo, have you tried getting a few friend together and doing a bulk powder order, every so often we’ll get together and order 99lbs which drops the shipping cost down to 3-4 dollar a pound

and I wouldn’t use titegroup to make major, I’d shoot minor with it until you can get the right powder

It is what I have been trying to find out.  Here is the thing in PR for those that don't know. 

1)  We need to get an "explosives" license which has different categories and a limitation on the amount you can buy daily.  To get the license you have to go through several stupid steps that will take 1-3 months to get it done and on top of that the local police visits your house to see if you meet the requirements to buy, transport and store your powder.  Oh so damn stupid, waste of time and money.  Yes money because you even need to get an affidavit to request the damn license.  Phew! OK I got tired even writing it.

2) I have asked many people and everyone said the hazmat fee is too high

3) I have called a few places in the mainland and none were willing to ship here

4) I called local ATF office and they told me there is no problem with them if I receive a shipment of gun powder, but I need to check with local police

5) And finally I called a friend today in FL who will go to UPS and FedEx and find out if he can ship it to me.

So the only thing I need to find out is if the local police will require something special and stupid for me to receive the shipment.  I guess, in my case, they won't because my license has the "import" check mark on it.  But here in PR dealing with the local gov is a 2 edged blade.

If local PD doesn't give me a hard time, and UPS or FedEx can ship it.  My good friend will buy it for me and send it my way.

Oh, and i called some of those companies that bring shipments only on ships (thinking it was going to be cheaper) but none were willing to transport gun powder.  This is F___ing insane.