Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best electronic in-ear hearing protection

Silverscooby27

19 minutes ago, phoenixsomd said:

Walker Silencer ear plugs have work like ed well for me. I've seen them for as low as $140 routinely. Comfortable, all-day wear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Walker Silencers need new foam inserts.  I don't see any place to buy them from Walker. 

What is everyone else using?  

I'm sure Harris and other high end options are better, but I picked a pair of the Peltor TEP-100 in-ear electronic plugs on a sale on Amazon and they have been great. The included recharging case is a plus. After years of wearing Peltor Comtac 2/3s they are a welcome change shooting in Alabama especially in the summer. They are a cheaper, high quality alternative if you don't have the budget to go full custom. The flanges could be more comfortable (I like the Surefire ear plugs), but aren't bad.

I use the Peltor TEP-100's as well during the summer so I can wear a booney hat and still hear everything else going on around me.  I especially like the recharging case, I leave them in there and they are always charged ready to go.

Edited by cs62

for the walkers and peltors above, 1) how long do the batteries work before needing recharging (do they last a full match), and 2) how well do they work in 3 gun (ie ar15 and ar10 rifle noise)?

Edited by davsco

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, davsco said:

for the walkers and peltors above, 1) how long do the batteries work before needing recharging, and 2) how well do they work in 3 gun (ie ar15 and ar10 rifle noise)?

I use the Peltor TEPs for 3-Gun with no issues (shooting a loud ass JP). I think you get 20 or so recharges off the 2xAAAs in the case before having to add a new set of batteries, it is super handy and the LEDs in the case tell you charged or charging, and theres a simple button to press. I'd have to look up the runtime, but they must last longer than a full range day because I've never drained them in a match or class. They are like the headsets though and will try to turn off after 5hrs or so with a beep, so you know to hit the button on the side of your plugs to prevent that.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:11 PM, davsco said:

for the walkers and peltors above, 1) how long do the batteries work before needing recharging (do they last a full match), and 2) how well do they work in 3 gun (ie ar15 and ar10 rifle noise)?

The Walkers use hearing aid batteries and yes they will last an entire 1-day match

I use the Etymotic electronic earplugs. They’ve been excellent and come with several different ear foams/inserts to ensure proper fit. My ear tunnels are somewhat sensitive but I forget these are even in. At $300 they are considerably less expensive than the high end custom fit type but certainly not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I use soundgear platinums. They work great, comfortable and dont get in the way. They are pricey but talk to a local audiologoist and you may be able to get a much better deal than listed on their website.