Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disregarding power factor

bandw1dth

So I'm working my significant other up from shooting a .22 to 9mm. And to make the transition as smooth as possible I'm trying to get my P320 to be as smooth as possible for her.

My go to low recoil load is a 147gr with some TG under it, mixed brass and cci 500 primers.

I'm curious as to if a lighter bullet say 115gr with fast powder TG, N320 or win 231 would produce the least amount of recoil or should I just stay with my 147gr over TG.

You may encounter accuracy issues with really light loads! 

I have loaded some super-soft shooting loads of 3.14 grains TG with 124 gr XTreme plated bullets.  They shoot... decently.  PF 106...  

I have also loaded some 147 coated over 3.2 gr of HP-38, and they tumbled on the way to the target!  :wacko: 

3.4 gr of HP-38 with 147 coated shot OK, but not great.  PF 129...  

No problems with cycling these in my CZ Shadow or Springfield RO.  (Eight pound recoil spring in the RO, with square bottomed FPS...)  

I've loaded 3 grains of Anything under a light (115 gr) bullet, and they are all soft.

Of course, if you go too low, the gun won't function , but that just takes another 0.1 or 0.2 grains, and off you go.

Actually, not anything, obviously, but WW231, Red Dot or any fast powder is fine.    :) 

I got about a 110 PF - that is fun to shoot, and accurate to 10 yards, anyway, even in my 12 ounce KelTec    :) 

band, you should try both.  Not everyone agrees about 'felt recoil', especially in a light gun like the 320.  Your SO may well prefer the lighter, faster bullet, because it does not rotate up under recoil as much as a slower, heavier bullet would.  The sensation in the hand would be a sharper push.

You can make mouse fart loads using slower powders than TG or 320.  One of the women at my club shoot a 115gr over Unique.  When I fire her load in her pistol, the gun does not move.  You feel a little recoil in your hand, but there is almost nonexistent muzzle rise. 

Do a little experimenting and you'll come up with something she likes.  Also, at the range, let here shoot other shooter's guns.  She may decide she likes something other than your 320.

Do you happen to have a gun that is a little heavier? That should absorb some recoil.

A little recoil does not necessarily bother women. Sometimes we make too much of it. Has she already fired something that bounces a little more than a 22?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm a bit confused.  I swear that I have read on multiple other threads here, that if you use heavier bullets with faster powders (such as TG and N320), that it will REDUCE the felt recoil.  And that lighter bullets with the same fast powder will INCREASE the felt recoil.  

Now, upon reading posts in this thread, people are mentioning the opposite.  Sooooo, which is it?  Light bullets with fast powders reduce the recoil or heavy bullets with fast powders reduce the recoil?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but I'm just trying to make sure I have it right because I have read it multiple times here and now this thread contradicts the others that I have read on here.  (heavy bullet+fast powder=reduced felt recoil)  :unsure:

4 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

heavier bullets with faster powders will REDUCE  felt recoil.  And that lighter bullets with the same fast powder will INCREASE the felt recoil.  

You have read correctly - heavy bullet and fast powder = less perceived recoil   AT THE SAME PF.

Lighter bullet with the same fast powder - you got to pour in more powder - more recoil.

If PF doesn't matter, you will get less recoil with lighter bullets ....    :)  

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You have read correctly - heavy bullet and fast powder = less perceived recoil   AT THE SAME PF.

Lighter bullet with the same fast powder - you got to pour in more powder - more recoil.

If PF doesn't matter, you will get less recoil with lighter bullets ....    :)  

Ahhhhhh...ok. I missed the “at the same PF” part. Now it makes sense. ???

Right now I'm running 3.1g TG @ 1.155  with a Xtreme plated 147 making 132PF.     Glock 34

It's powder puff soft,  I am also running an 11lb un captured ismi spring and full length tungsten guide rod.

Edited by jtrump

17 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Again, my experience is that a Very Light bullet at very Low Velocity is softer than a heavier bullet    :) 

Correct.  WITH a power factor floor, you'll get softer recoil at a given power factor with a heavier bullet (not that that is worth pursuing to the degree to which many of us do), but when there's no power factor floor, you can achieve the softest loads with the lightest bullets you can get for your caliber, though you may need to re-spring the pistol to get it to function with the mousiest of mouse farts.

• 2 weeks later...