Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You don't have to wear Salomon's, you know.

MemphisMechanic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to wear solomans but you better wear something... I mean there is this one crazy SOB in NC, Tyrone, that doesn't wear shoes when he shoots. If not solomans wear cleats of some sort. I wear soloman GTX's everyday and I wear speedcross3 shooting, they are comfortable and I like them. Do what works for you... if you shoot good in Lacross hip boots then by all means have at it. If you shoot good in rattle snake skin shit kickers and a 10 gallon hat, awesome. I bet your Instagram is blowing up. Do what works for you. 

I had a pair of salomons and they were great, but mine didn't last a whole season between wearing the soles out and a tear(not from catching it on something). So I went to the local shoe store and picked up a pair of saucony trail shoes, and I'm loving them! Fit is good and better traction then the salomons! They were about 90 bucks, so a few bucks cheaper but not enough to matter much.

i can't wear salomons either due to wide feet so I wear a lot of under armour and 5.11 so other people know I'm serious (I'm being funny but seriously love products from both these companies. 5.11 clothes fit me great)

Salomons don't work for my wife feet either. I went to my first larger match a month back and it was raining and muddy and my shoes are like sponges so I went shopping. Even the "wide" salomons were too tight and nothing that fit had enough grip. Then my buddy said "what about these football cleats on sale" they were $25 IIRC. Worked awesome right up to my DQ. They're in the garage now for the next time weather is bad. (Rain predicted for this weekend)

the most comfortable pair of athletic shoes I ever owned were Adidas. 

Red

I love Salomons. I started wearing them overseas in 2007, the gtx and speedcross varieties. I love the speedcross and fellraiser variants for shooting.

But I've found that just about any well lugged trail running shoe will work. I have two different Saucony trail running shoes that work perfect, though not the warmest or most rain resistant. I also have $39 Nike football cleats that fit just as good and work just as well as the $150 cleats I've  tried. I had a sweet Adidas connection but sadly a lot of their offerings either gave me knee pain or were the wrong last for my foot shape.

And yeah, I've forgotten my match shoes and shot in slip on Vans before with no issues. But I sure feel better in trail shoes or cleats and that matters to me. But I'd skip those knock off Chinese shoes just out of principle.

Gonna sound like a geezer here. Boots with vibram soles. 

Don't really feel I need trail racing / running shoes to make it through a stage at my local match. And, being honest with myself, I am pretty sure the extra weight is not taking too much time off my scores, considering the 20lb belt I have on and rest of the heavy guns I am running around with. I actually think I need more support on my feet than light trail shoes most of the time.

I honestly think a well made leather 6" boot with a real sole would serve people much better most of the time. Unless you are shooting on super groomed ranges. 

I've tried different solutions and have found on long match days my feet are actually more comfortable and less tired wearing good boots. Hurts to break them in but once you do they rule. I've actually sat around with dry feet in waterproof boots while watching the majority of everyone else at the match suffering with wet soaked feet/socks. I can't get my head around it. I swear its just a 3gun fashion thing. Fashion kills friends! Sheesh.

Now when the heat gets unbearable, I do pull out my dayglo pink and blaze orange Speedcrosses 9's. They match my F1 Rifle!

On 11/24/2016 at 11:03 AM, htomeheb said:

Those salomons are definitely not authentic. They're REALLY hard to tell the difference though.

Inov8s are great. Salomons have WAY too much in the way of arch support and kill me.  I wear 11.5EE or 12, depending. I have very flat feet. 

On 11/25/2016 at 2:46 PM, Slow250 said:

For me, it's worth it to buy legit stuff from companies I respect. 

When all this crap comes from china, how do you differentiate?  China made crap at $130(gander mtn) is the same as china made crap at $30(ali baba). Try both, then tell me the "authentic" shoes are better. I have tried both and they are the same damn thing. Either they came from the same factory or too much time was spent making copies. They were that close I could not tell a difference. Too bad both were too skinny for my feet. I returned the $130 shoes, and sold the $30 for a little profit. Nike $30 wide football cleats from Dicks works well for me. 

10 minutes ago, Flash74 said:

When all this crap comes from china, how do you differentiate?  China made crap at $130(gander mtn) is the same as china made crap at $30(ali baba). Try both, then tell me the "authentic" shoes are better. I have tried both and they are the same damn thing. Either they came from the same factory or too much time was spent making copies. They were that close I could not tell a difference. Too bad both were too skinny for my feet. I returned the $130 shoes, and sold the $30 for a little profit. Nike $30 wide football cleats from Dicks works well for me. 

In a vacuum, that works for one pair of shoes...  But I make every attempt to not live in a vacuum.  Why do you think that you can buy fakes for less than a quarter of the price?  Is Salomon just that greedy?  What if you made something that was great?  Researched it.  Paid people to test it.  Sourced some decent materials.  Then advertised for this product.  Then someone just copied what you made, used stuff the was a bit cheaper, used cheaper labor and didn't have to research, develop or test it, because you had done that for them.  In fact, they didn't even have to advertise for it because you had already done it and they just used your label.  

I don't like that business model, even if it is cheaper, because it does not encourage innovation, and does not result in better products over time.  So, I pay companies I respect for the products they make.  Since you aren't ashamed to admit you not only bought fakes, but did so knowingly, then sold them for a profit I doubt any of the above matters to you. 

Fear not, I'll (with the rest of the suckers like me) keep the good businesses in business by paying for their products!  Maybe that explanation will encourage another thread reader to think about buying some fakes. 

On 12/9/2016 at 7:37 PM, Flash74 said:

Totally agree here. Probably from the same factory. Im with you buddy.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:25 PM, Slow250 said:

In a vacuum, that works for one pair of shoes...  But I make every attempt to not live in a vacuum.  Why do you think that you can buy fakes for less than a quarter of the price?  Is Salomon just that greedy?  What if you made something that was great?  Researched it.  Paid people to test it.  Sourced some decent materials.  Then advertised for this product.  Then someone just copied what you made, used stuff the was a bit cheaper, used cheaper labor and didn't have to research, develop or test it, because you had done that for them.  In fact, they didn't even have to advertise for it because you had already done it and they just used your label.  

I don't like that business model, even if it is cheaper, because it does not encourage innovation, and does not result in better products over time.  So, I pay companies I respect for the products they make.  Since you aren't ashamed to admit you not only bought fakes, but did so knowingly, then sold them for a profit I doubt any of the above matters to you. 

Fear not, I'll (with the rest of the suckers like me) keep the good businesses in business by paying for their products!  Maybe that explanation will encourage another thread reader to think about buying some fakes. 

Im all for supporting a business if you like the product. I am not rolling in the dough though so sometimes that means it comes down to buying a "fake" product or not buying it at all. Im buying the knock off..

Im also all for buying something and selling it for a profit. I have bought many things with the intent of reselling it for a profit. buying and selling things at a higher margin is how literally millions of people put food on the table...

On 11/23/2016 at 3:09 PM, hwansikcjswo said:

Those'll look good with the Joakleys I bought for $8 from a guy's briefcase-with-legs shop in D.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wide feet and have a hard time finding a shoe with a good fit. End of this year I found some Cabela DPX hikers on sale and they fit great. Bought them to wear out at HaH and they did the job, all day comfort and solid tread. 

I have bunion problems that force me to wear a super wide shoe. New Balance 910s in 10.5 4E fit great and get the job done. Before these I was actually wearing the low top Merrell Moabs that I wore for everything else. They're a tad heavy and don't breathe that well in the dead of Alabama summers, but they weren't holding me back in terms of match performance.

8 hours ago, wav3rhythm said:

I really like the Icebug shoes. If you haven't seen them, they're worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How wide is the toe box on the Icebugs? I'm interested in the Zeal RB9X but if they're anywhere near as narrow as Solomons that's a deal breaker.