Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO - running suppressor sights?

chp5

I just picked a Glock 34 MOS and a FF3. Are any of you running suppressor iron sights with your dot for CO?

Do you see any pros or cons? Does it jumble up the sight picture for the dot? Thanks.

I just use the dot on my XDM, I ripped off the front sight too (it was a fiber optic and seeing two red dots did not help much). Personally I think you will be better off without them though the learning curve may be a little steeper at the start. An hour or two of dry fire practice and you should be able to pick up the dot quickly.

Sig p226 with C-more RTS2 Open shooter 15+ years

I never even notice the front site. Left it on. RTS mounts in the rear site dove tail. I would have remove the read anyway if it hadn't

Practicing with the CO severely increased my time with the open gun.

Yes. Dawson sites. Green fiber front.

For me they are faster on close targets and I don't notice them on medium to far targets.

CO guns should not have sights in them in my opinion. You should be using the dot, period. If you are using irons for close targets then you are shooting Production, not CO

• 3 weeks later...

I left the factory iron sights on my M&P CORE when I installed the RMR and I honestly cannot remember ever seeing them when presenting to a target. The only thing my mind 'sees' is the 6.5 MOA dot.

If I remove the RMR and shoot the gun in IDPA, or USPSA Limited, the iron sights work just fine. I kinda like that level of versatility.

I'm running iron sights with my red dot. I've done so many dry fires picking up the irons, the red dot lolly-popped on the front sight only serves to help decrease the learning curve.

Btw, full black sights; no dots, no fibers, nothing.

Edited by SCTaylor

• 4 weeks later...

I run suppressor sights. You can try it with those inadequate factory sights on a G34, but they don't really work.

There was a controlled study done on sights vs laser vs optics vs optics with sights. The gist of the study was optics with cowitness irons is better. I have not seen the study published yet, but know the researcher (a real scientist).

Here is an article by a famous guy citing the research: http://americancopmagazine.com/red-dots-for-carry/

Edited by Dannybot

I don't even see the sights when shooting, but I am certainly aware when they are not there! Admittedly I'm one of the old guys sho can't see handgun sights at all any more.

Edited by Dannybot

I am running a P320RX that has some co-witnessed night sights. Honestly I don't even notice them and don't find them at all distracting. It seems like they will help me to find the dot during strong and weak hand strings but I still need more time to confirm.

I bought some Black MOS sights on my G34 and I find them to be too busy when trying to shoot with the dot, so I took mine off and just used the dot.

Edited by ogiebb

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2016 at 6:46 PM, Dannybot said:

I run suppressor sights. You can try it with those inadequate factory sights on a G34, but they don't really work.

There was a controlled study done on sights vs laser vs optics vs optics with sights. The gist of the study was optics with cowitness irons is better. I have not seen the study published yet, but know the researcher (a real scientist).

Here is an article by a famous guy citing the research: http://americancopmagazine.com/red-dots-for-carry/

That's just Mass trying to sell the new tactical magic.... If co-witnessed was actually better, meaning faster with more points in the game, how did all those Open guys do it for all those years way, way long before carry optics??? And besides, The Great One says you don't need to aim anyway.....

Edited by 9x45

For purely competition use, I'm all for removal of the sights, and getting an optic (DP Pro) with a big FOV.

I personally carry a G17 w/RMR/Trijicon suppressor sights for duty/CCW. You can knock the cowitness sights as tacticool but I view it in the same way of running irons with an optic on a carbine; they're there for when things go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk