Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reason to 9mm major so short?

Sandbagger123

i load my 125 BBI to 1.175 and it runs great out of my open gun. i noticed that a lot of people seem to load to 1.16 or so. what is the reason for the short length? is it the gun barrel throat?

the reason i ask is that i want to load up a few thousand of my current load. my concern that if i were to get another gun in the future the length might be an issue using up all this loaded ammo

Which mags are you using? I could never get STI mags to run 100% without spacers, and with spacers 1.160" is about as long as you can go. Depending on the bullet profile the barrel throat can also be a limiting factor. I have two 2011s which can't take 115gr MG JHP longer than 1.135".

Which mags are you using? I could never get STI mags to run 100% without spacers, and with spacers 1.160" is about as long as you can go. Depending on the bullet profile the barrel throat can also be a limiting factor. I have two 2011s which can't take 115gr MG JHP longer than 1.135".

You have one 2011 that won't take a Frontier 121 FP longer than 1.105"!

SV mags . So its the mags thats the limiting factor?

Edited by Sandbagger123

Interesting,

I am running 1.175 in STI mags with hardy spacers no problem.

I tried the MG JHP 115's out to 1.175" and they worked, but I didn't

feel comfortable with how little grip the case had on the bullet - :ph34r:

once I found an unfired bullet and lot of powder in my chamber

(and everywhere else) -

guess the bullet just popped out of the

case during the cycling process. :surprise:

So, I load to 1.165 with either 115 or 124 MG JHP's, with and without

spacers (spacers in my STI mags, no spacer in my SVI mags).

Works very well ...

To make it more complicated, I've also run thousands of the same

bullets, in the same mags/gun at 1.145" - ran great. :cheers:

SV mags . So its the mags thats the limiting factor?

In my STi mags, I am loading to 1.175 with plastic STi spacers. They also seem to fit with the steel spacer that comes in Taran's kits as I just got one of those this week.

I ran into some gun ammo problems recently. Took it to an awesome gunsmith who said 1.168 was way too long for my particular guns setup. He said drop to less than 1.16 and it will run perfect and I'll be doggone if he wasn't right!

my DVC & Steel Master both run 1.15 without any problems... using 9mm 124gr Precision Delta bullets... I do use spacers in my STI mags... one MBX mag does not use a spacer... but is not as reliable as the STI mags..

I ran into some gun ammo problems recently. Took it to an awesome gunsmith who said 1.168 was way too long for my particular guns setup. He said drop to less than 1.16 and it will run perfect and I'll be doggone if he wasn't right!

Usually when they are loaded a bit too long it can cause the slide too lock up because the bullet will get stuck on the lands. Can play hell trying to get one unstuck when that happens.

Usually when they are loaded a bit too long it can cause the slide too lock up because the bullet will get stuck on the lands. Can play hell trying to get one unstuck when that happens.

Thats pretty basic knowledge. And very true. But in my case it was a feeding issue.